Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Brake upgrade for a Clio 182

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2008, 10:44 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade for a Clio 182

As title, anybody got any suggestions as to a good road/track compromise brake upgrade for a 182 (with both cup packs)
Old 19 September 2008, 10:55 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Most people think the brakes themselves are plenty damn good enough & just change the pads. Ferodo DS2500 are popular and when your discs need replacing get the Brembos.
Old 19 September 2008, 01:32 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

I have a 172 with standard brakes. I am planning to do a few track days so I will give the standard ones a go and see how they cope. When they are wrecked I will uprate the discs and pads.
Would love 4 pots but just not got the money.
Old 19 September 2008, 02:48 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Apologies for going off topic, but how are the reliability of the 172's or similar?

Being in the trade and doing recovery shows Renaults are probably the most i pick up, albeit not many of the ClioSports. So i was just curious as we're having to downscale and with prices being so cheap, they are kind of tempting...
Old 19 September 2008, 05:57 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5
Apologies for going off topic, but how are the reliability of the 172's or similar?

Being in the trade and doing recovery shows Renaults are probably the most i pick up, albeit not many of the ClioSports. So i was just curious as we're having to downscale and with prices being so cheap, they are kind of tempting...
Me too! What they like? They look like fun!
Old 19 September 2008, 07:02 PM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

You can get 4 pot AP's for them, maybe overkill for the road though.
Old 20 September 2008, 12:31 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5

Well I have been very impressed by mine. I sold my 94 WRX after getting fed up of the fuel costs and the fact that I spent a fortune on tuning and still only made 279bhp.
I'm actually on my second 172 now because my first one was hit by a 4x4 and written off. I paid just over £5k for a 2003 with only 23k miles. It was in perfect condition. I have averaged just over 35mpg according to the computer over the last 1000 miles. Tank costs around £50 to fill up and gets just over 300 miles worth.
Both my clios have had no reliability issues at all. I think the main problems are electronic. The engines are supposed to be extremely good.
The car is great fun to drive and suprisingly quick. It has a lot of goodies on it too - Auto wipers, auto xenon lights, digital climate control, half leather interior, heated mirrors.
Its a much better car than my wrx was and apart from the noise and attention I used to get in the impreza I don't actually miss it at all. If anything the clio is probably more fun to drive and most of the time I like the fact that I dont get everyone staring at me anymore. (Must be getting old!)
I know there a few other scoobynetter whos have had renaultsport clios so I'm sure they will be along to give their views.
I'd definitely recommend one.

Here is mine:
Day I bought it->

and now->

And for good measure here is what it replaced:
Old 20 September 2008, 12:41 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Many thanks Fanton.

I remember know, you put a thread up when you replaced the wheels? Looks much better doesn't it?

We're getting married in 2010 and without being able to save, the Cooper S has to go. Looking at spending about 3-4k, so that'll be the first of the phase 2's. Probably be the nice blue they come in and hopefully a Cup, but all the eleccy bits you mention....are they standard items on specific years or something?
Old 20 September 2008, 01:58 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Hiya. Congratulations.
The cup version 172 does not come with any fancy bits I'm afraid, unless you find one that had some extras added when purchased. Most of them have no air con, xenons etc. They also come with a nasty cloth interior. I love the colour but it was this reason I went for the normal 172. Much better spec and you're unlikely to notice any performance difference. I dont think cups have a spare wheel either.
Normal 172s come in pearl black like mine, iceberg silver which my old one was, flame red which is really nice, and monaco blue which is a dark blue.
I'd join up on ClioSport if i was you and you will be able to find out everything you need to know.
Old 20 September 2008, 02:40 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Very many thanks.

Never thought all the Cup's were that blue. That makes finding one a bit easier, lol.

Not overly fussed what version we end up with, though toys are always good...colour is probably a bigger deal for us mind you. Do the standard 172's get the goodies, or still optional extra's?

Just signed up to cliosport now, thanks.
Old 20 September 2008, 05:04 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Standard 172s get all the goodies as far as I know. Not sure what optional extras were. Late 172s like mine come with ESP. Very late ones might have cruise control as well.
You can get the cup version in Iceberg silver as well but very rare. Nearly all of them are the mondial blue that you like.
Old 22 September 2008, 08:54 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I fitted Pagid Blue RS's to my 182 Cup along with braided hoses and Motul race fluid. They still worked well at cold on the road yet were fade free on the track. The brakes always outlasted the tyres!

Steve
Old 22 September 2008, 09:55 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fantom
Standard 172s get all the goodies as far as I know. Not sure what optional extras were. Late 172s like mine come with ESP. Very late ones might have cruise control as well.
You can get the cup version in Iceberg silver as well but very rare. Nearly all of them are the mondial blue that you like.
Cheers fella.
Old 22 September 2008, 12:50 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Thats not a 182 Thats a 172 is it not? standard 172 wheels and no double exhaust.

My mistake, i though the OP had posted the pics of that black Clio above

Last edited by Dedrater; 22 September 2008 at 12:53 PM.