Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Damaged the Toyota, any ideas on cost of repair ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2008, 08:33 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged the Toyota, any ideas on cost of repair ?

Hi all

Being the tw@t I am, I have reversed my wifes new car around a corner of a wall and scuffed the nearside rear door and over the wheel arch. Its about a foot long deep scratch on the rear door and large scuff down to the metal over the wheel arch.

I know its a bit of a vague description, but can anyone in the bodywork trade give me any idea roughly how much it might cost for a repair ???

Thanks in advance

Dave
Old 20 May 2008, 08:43 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

It's not so much the damage you're vague about, it's the car! "toyota" isn't much to go on
Old 20 May 2008, 09:04 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Sorry, brain is not switched on.......

Its a Toyota Corolla Verso SR on an 08 plate.....heres a pic

http://uk.geocities.com/dave.ruddle@...IMG_2057_1.JPG

Dave
Old 20 May 2008, 09:29 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Is it dented at all? (hard to tell from the pics)

MrsREV did similar damage to our old Forester (just as we put it up for sale ) and we got a mobile dent repairer to sort it out for about £100. Bodyshops quoted us about £400. Undoubtedly, the bodyshops would have done a "better" job but the repair we had done was very good and the only sign of the repair was a slight crease on the wheelarch that was hidden when the door was closed and even that wasn't easy to spot.

If anyone remembers Rob that used to run MRO Scoobystyling, he now does mobile repairs in the north-west (ONeill Mobile Paint and Dent Repair. Scratches, Dents, Light Accident Damage, Alloy Wheel Damage, paint protection film, window tint tinting.)
Old 20 May 2008, 09:33 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Over the wheelarch the metal is gouged out a bit (cut my finger when I ran it over it !!!) Door is slightly dented. Thank **** for protected no claims.....

Dave
Old 20 May 2008, 10:04 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

the wife....still wants to be your wife after this? lol. joke. hope you get it sorted mate.

Haroon.
Old 20 May 2008, 10:10 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Met Black is such a difficult colour to match.

Well, if you go via a toyota dealer / body shop, I reckon thats a good £1K worth of damage ( new door skin, arch + labour + paint etc ) That type of repair will be warrantied and will last.

IF you want cheap, to last a year or two, then £300 at honest johns no questions body shop.

As its an 08 car I would imagine you want to keep the car for 3 years ? So, get it sorted properly.

If your near Brighton, I know a guy (option 2) that could do it for you. He's done many a repair for me, no questions asked.

SBK
Old 21 May 2008, 05:35 PM
green un
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sbk1972
Met Black is such a difficult colour to match.

Well, if you go via a toyota dealer / body shop, I reckon thats a good £1K worth of damage ( new door skin, arch + labour + paint etc ) That type of repair will be warrantied and will last.

IF you want cheap, to last a year or two, then £300 at honest johns no questions body shop.

As its an 08 car I would imagine you want to keep the car for 3 years ? So, get it sorted properly.

If your near Brighton, I know a guy (option 2) that could do it for you. He's done many a repair for me, no questions asked.

SBK
so what your saying is go to main dealer and the job will last and if you go to an independent bodyshop it will only last 2-3 years. could you explain how/why??

unless you mean smart repairs, i would only bother with these if i was selling the car, good for a quick cover up but will show over time.

matching the colour will be ok as its not edge to edge colour.
Old 21 May 2008, 05:57 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by druddle
Hi all

Being the tw@t I am, I have reversed my wifes new car around a corner of a wall and scuffed the nearside rear door and over the wheel arch. Its about a foot long deep scratch on the rear door and large scuff down to the metal over the wheel arch.

I know its a bit of a vague description, but can anyone in the bodywork trade give me any idea roughly how much it might cost for a repair ???

Thanks in advance

Dave
Never mind the repair cost - you'll not be getting sex for a month
Old 21 May 2008, 06:00 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Dave,

Bloke above is right. Get it done by a main dealer and via insurance.

whether its £500 or £2000, the effect on your premium next year will be the same, and for resale piece of mind get it done properly.
Old 21 May 2008, 06:28 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

DON'T use a main dealer, they'll only sub it out to a back street body shop anyway.

If you want a top notch job, find a body shop locally that's recommended by people you trust.

As for "no questions asked", you're not ditching a hot car in GTA4
Old 21 May 2008, 07:40 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
DON'T use a main dealer, they'll only sub it out to a back street body shop anyway.

If you want a top notch job, find a body shop locally that's recommended by people you trust.

As for "no questions asked", you're not ditching a hot car in GTA4
My old local toyota main dealer had one of the best in house bodyshops in the area, so I guess it depends on your dealer.

And if you want to retain your bodywork warranty or not.
Old 21 May 2008, 07:47 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Lol @ devildog. I am surprisingly off the hook, but i know its being banked for future use..........

Wife took it to Toyota dealer today and they are sorting it out direct with the insurance company (Admiral) who have also been very good. Toyota said it has to come to them in order for the 12 year anti-corrosion warranty not to be invalidated. They said it will take 5 days and they will give us the same car as a loaner for the week, the nice salesman who sold it promised us that, and he has always been good for his word.

My wife has actually taken the stance that at least no one was hurt and it is just a piece of metal (which i wouldnt have when i had the scooby, honda, leon cupra r, etc but now i will take that!!!!)

Dave