Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

The Old Style BMW driver is still alive and well

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2008, 10:05 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Old Style BMW driver is still alive and well

I was thinking that the BMW Stereotype had been diluted out, put to bed, gone, dispersed into Audi's, Merc's and the like, but no, yesterday I happened upon an old style BMW driver (Bavaraius Odi-Tosserus).

I was in the local Thresher, a glittering palace of inebriating delights, it was a bout 2pm (off work this week) and was organising booze, glasses and ice for my wifes 40th party, matey comes in, about 5 ft 6, about 40, I was discussing the finer points with the lady in there, it was obvious we were talking and he just butts in, stands in between us almost, close enough for me to be blinded by the glare off his suit, sunglasses on, reeking of **** (Cigarettes that is) and aftershave, he blurts "GOT ANY GROLSCH" at the girl at top volume, so she breaks off from our conversation to check it shes got any Grolsch. I was taken aback at the lack of manners until the girl comes out and apologizes that they did not have any Grolsch, I had moved a little to assist his exit but he obviously assumed I was still in the same place and with his sunglasses on he didnt clock me until he walked into me, I mean really most people dont miss me, over 6ft and 16 stone of, er well, Im no waif.

What bothered me was his single minded, almost autistic desire for Grolsch, I mean its not even that good, he bypasses Peroni, Leffe, Staropramen and all manner of premium beers, even good old wife beater got ignored in his single minded determination for Grolsch, I for one dont really like Grolsch but i will never drink it again, as I will always think of Shiny Suit BMW man.

So he bumps into me, doesn't apologize, just makes a frustrated noise and goes around me, stomps out of the shop to the sanctity of his chariot, an 06 plate bog spec 320d which was parked blocking the pavement on double yellow lines, he screws it off leaving a pall of black diesel smoke, I dont think he was from round our way, if he was he would have known about the aggressive speed hump he hit at about 40 mph.

So, there was me thinking that the old core BMW driver was long gone, but no, he is still out there.

On a lighter note, was in the town centre, it being Cheshire it was full of Astons, Ferraris, Porsches, etc etc, yawn, what got me car perving was a mint 1980's 2 door 325i with Alpina wheels, subtle factory kit, utterly immaculate, mile deep black paint, not a mark on it, in a land of newer/more expensive= better it was nice to see an oldie making some of the newer stuff look dowdy.
Old 09 May 2008, 10:11 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

320d is a mighty fine car.
Old 09 May 2008, 10:15 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
320d is a mighty fine car.
SD, I am not denying that its a good car, it just needs to pick better owners.
Old 09 May 2008, 10:38 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I gave a Impreza driver a W**ker sign yesturday - was overtaking in a right turn area on a busy road, with oncomming traffic, whilst going past a school...."just" to get behind another Impreza that was one car ahead

...I was driving a BMW at the time
Old 09 May 2008, 11:48 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I was thinking that the BMW Stereotype had been diluted out, put to bed, gone, dispersed into Audi's, Merc's and the like, but no, yesterday I happened upon an old style BMW driver (Bavaraius Odi-Tosserus).

I was in the local Thresher, a glittering palace of inebriating delights, it was a bout 2pm (off work this week) and was organising booze, glasses and ice for my wifes 40th party, matey comes in, about 5 ft 6, about 40, I was discussing the finer points with the lady in there, it was obvious we were talking and he just butts in, stands in between us almost, close enough for me to be blinded by the glare off his suit, sunglasses on, reeking of **** (Cigarettes that is) and aftershave, he blurts "GOT ANY GROLSCH" at the girl at top volume, so she breaks off from our conversation to check it shes got any Grolsch. I was taken aback at the lack of manners until the girl comes out and apologizes that they did not have any Grolsch, I had moved a little to assist his exit but he obviously assumed I was still in the same place and with his sunglasses on he didnt clock me until he walked into me, I mean really most people dont miss me, over 6ft and 16 stone of, er well, Im no waif.

What bothered me was his single minded, almost autistic desire for Grolsch, I mean its not even that good, he bypasses Peroni, Leffe, Staropramen and all manner of premium beers, even good old wife beater got ignored in his single minded determination for Grolsch, I for one dont really like Grolsch but i will never drink it again, as I will always think of Shiny Suit BMW man.

So he bumps into me, doesn't apologize, just makes a frustrated noise and goes around me, stomps out of the shop to the sanctity of his chariot, an 06 plate bog spec 320d which was parked blocking the pavement on double yellow lines, he screws it off leaving a pall of black diesel smoke, I dont think he was from round our way, if he was he would have known about the aggressive speed hump he hit at about 40 mph.

So, there was me thinking that the old core BMW driver was long gone, but no, he is still out there.

On a lighter note, was in the town centre, it being Cheshire it was full of Astons, Ferraris, Porsches, etc etc, yawn, what got me car perving was a mint 1980's 2 door 325i with Alpina wheels, subtle factory kit, utterly immaculate, mile deep black paint, not a mark on it, in a land of newer/more expensive= better it was nice to see an oldie making some of the newer stuff look dowdy.
Knutsford by any chance, that place is always full of nice cars!
Old 09 May 2008, 01:15 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Wilmslow
Old 09 May 2008, 02:18 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Doesn't surprise me, my missus is Alderley Edge born and bred, yet now detests the place for what it has become. Or more accurately, for the sort of wannabe people that inhabit the place.

Mind you, 15 years ago, yer man would probably have been driving a Cavalier or Sierra 1.6L. Drove to London last week and was amazed at the sheer number of Beemers with jackets on hangers in the back on the motorway fast lane. Virtually all 320d's or 520d's too. Although I suppose it isn't surprising considering 3 series' are now easily outselling Mondeos.

Maybe the BMW stereotype is still alive though. I've just bought my first ever Beemer, and have noticed that with total honesty, I consciously seem to use my indicators less, that not many people let me out of junctions any more, and try and have a little race at the lights as well. Most of which drive Bee Em's too.
Old 09 May 2008, 03:56 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

I've just gone from Scoob to BMW and caught myself forgetting to use my indicators last week. Maybe there is something in this Spooky
Old 09 May 2008, 04:55 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

I used to be a Beemer boy and always used my indicators!
Old 09 May 2008, 10:48 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

When I'm driving the wifes BMW I always use the indicators - it's got those lovely LED rear ones, so I like to show them off
Old 10 May 2008, 09:38 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Perhaps he was tired of waiting while you was chunnering away to the shop girl,when you should be buying beer and getting out of the way.....

If people like a certain taste of beer,there is nothing wrong with not buying an alternative,just because they have walked into the shop..That is just knowing what you want and not accepting anything else..

Its a bit like wanting an Evo then accepting a scooby instead..

I have had scoobs and Bmw's...both excellent cars...

If BMW owners are 40 something's in cheap suits that smell of aftershave and tabs,the scoob owners are baldy tossers with tats..that smell of BO and wear cheap trainers..

Last edited by fatscoobfella1; 10 May 2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10 May 2008, 06:18 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
If BMW owners are 40 something's in cheap suits that smell of aftershave and tabs,the scoob owners are baldy tossers with tats..that smell of BO and wear cheap trainers..
So we're all agreed then?
Old 10 May 2008, 06:49 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
So we're all agreed then?
.. he failed to mention the wearing of shonky blue subaru WRC jackets..
Old 10 May 2008, 07:18 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Oh yea... I forgot that....

And every 3rd word being "twisties".. lol
Old 10 May 2008, 07:29 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Oh yea... I forgot that....

And every 3rd word being "twisties".. lol
Or 'knocklinks'....
Old 10 May 2008, 08:08 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

..and 97% of owners work in IT
Old 10 May 2008, 10:30 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I no longer fit the stereotype, I work in management
of the IT Department
Old 11 May 2008, 08:21 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Ah.........But do you still have a paunchant for spangly gold...Especially around the rim area ??
Old 11 May 2008, 10:51 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Perhaps he was tired of waiting while you was chunnering away to the shop girl,when you should be buying beer and getting out of the way.....
Yes, but it was the 5 seconds he gave me before butting in that astounded me.
Old 11 May 2008, 11:38 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Ah.........But do you still have a paunchant for spangly gold...Especially around the rim area ??
Nope, no way, nosiree. My current wheels are bronze
Old 11 May 2008, 08:50 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Nope, no way, nosiree. My current wheels are bronze
Well there goes a man with taste