Audi S4 Avant or Audi S4 3.0 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2008, 11:48 AM
ak47mh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Audi S4 Avant or Audi S4 3.0 Quattro

Hi everyone

I am having a small dillemma at the moment where I was all set to get a Audi S4 Avant B6 model with the 4.2 V8 for around 18-19K. I know it is not the most exciting car in the world, but it is pretty quick and can carry kids and a dog whilst feeling special to own.

I have now seen a Audi A4 Avant 3.0 TDI Quattro with 230BHP and 332ib/ft of torque for around 20K(ish). Which doesn't sound that exciting, until I saw you can chip them for £500 to get another 40-45BHP and another 80-90ib/ft of torque.

Part of me still says get the S4 which feels sportier and I did plan to put a Milltek system on to hear that V8 and it feels a bit more exclusive. Yet the other part of me says the A4 TDI will feel just as quick, if not quicker with the torque (especially chipped) and with the price of petrol these days, will diesel save me a lot more money in the longterm which has to be a consideration. Plus the A4 is the newer shape and looks more modern and is probably cheaper to service and insure.

I won't be doing that many miles in the car as I work from home during the week, but it will be used extensively at weekends.

What are everyone's thoughts??

Cheers,
Ant
PS - Apologies for putting S4 instead of A4 in the subject line, I can't change it.

Last edited by ak47mh; 19 February 2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Wrong title
Old 19 February 2008, 11:57 AM
scoobberdoo
Scooby Regular

Been in the B6 S4 once. Torque is not a problem with all those cubic inches. You could use the car with only 2 gears - 2nd & 6th. Doesn't have that turbo punch though, very linerar.

If fuel cost is not an issue (S4 = 18mpg) then it's a matter of preference (V8 v Diesel). Yes, a chipped 3.0 TDI will feel even faster from low rpm and still get nearly 30mpg?

Why not try them both and judge them on how they each "feel"? I suspect the ride will be much harder on the S4!
Old 19 February 2008, 01:37 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

How much can you pickup a B7 S4 for?

If you don't do many miles then it sounds like a good excuse for the V8, on the other hand I think the rear of the B6 A4's is making them look a bit dated now - plus the 3.0 TDi is likely to retain its value better...
Old 19 February 2008, 01:55 PM
ak47mh
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply guys.

I am going to arrange a viewing of an S4 on Thursday and hopefully see an A4 later on in the day.

The cheapest B7 S4 Avant I have seen is around £23K, but I really don't think I could stretch to this with having to get Insurance on it also. I agree about the A4 looking more modern and probably retaining its value better, but it is a lot more basic inside. The S4 has way more toys with BOSE, and electrical this and heated that which would keep the wife happy and ultimately be a comfier place to be.

My heart says the S4 if just for that V8 sound with a sports exhaust on, but my head is saying the A4 and more miles on the road....

Cheers,
Ant
Old 20 February 2008, 09:16 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

You'll never fade of driving the S4, especially with Milltek. It has a soundtrack which is sooo addictive.
MPG is 15 on the commute and up to 25 on a run for me, but I only do 9k per year and enjoy driving too much to go for the 'sensible' diesel option.

Heated seats, leather, Bose sound system, centre armrest, DVD Sat Nav, fully intergrated bluetooth, + loads more toys on well specced examples. You can easily get away with 3 gears 1st, 3rd and 5th, or it will happily pull in 6th gear from 20mph right upto the limiter........
Old 20 February 2008, 09:21 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you could get an rs4 the last shape one for 20k ish why have you over looked this
Old 20 February 2008, 09:24 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

The b7 v8 combined with a milltek exhaust sounds super
Old 20 February 2008, 10:37 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

The S4 is a nice car, my friend has a new one at the moment. Not exactly a rocket but an awesome car if just for the sound and the interior alone.

Surely you must be able to get some more poke out of the S4 though? It seems to set off from the line like a scalded cat then it seems to turn normal and doesn't feel fast on the move when acceleratiing. It's almost like a sudden restrictor kicks in, I've found this with a lot of VAG stuff (R32, s4, a3 T, cupra T etc) You drive the golf R32 for example and you think,, here we go, then it just sort of goes flat, same with the turbo's 1.8 vag engines.. Drive a 3.0 v6 Alfa and they actually feel fast all the way

I'd love to hear the S4 with a performance exhaust though! The one my mate has sounds suprisingly loud standard.
Old 21 February 2008, 08:48 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx

I'd love to hear the S4 with a performance exhaust though! The one my mate has sounds suprisingly loud standard.
Allow me - this is the same milltek fitted to my rs however the s4 uses the same base engine afaik:

YouTube - 2007 Audi RS4 with Milltek non-resonated Exhaust
Old 21 February 2008, 09:14 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Sadly, the V8-based S4 isn't that easy to mod. There ain't much out there.
The usual is an MRC remap (several stages available)

I've got a B5 S4 - 2.7L V6 twin turbo. Much more modding options. There's a wide opinion that a modded S4 is actually more potent than the RS4, because of the difference in the torque range....

The Miltek will make one hell of a difference - here's another vid using the V6 as a starting point.....

YouTube - Audi S4 Featuring Fast Intentions Custom Exhaust

The older S4 is by NO means a slouch..... it will embarrass a lot of things

To the OP, the S4 is a cracking car, but the TDi is one of THE best in the business. Go for a S-Line package and you'll get S4 refinement with the frugality of the Tdi.......

Either way, the only other thing is to sort out the ARBs. This transforms the car and helps dial out the usual complaint of "boredom".......

HTH

Dan
Old 22 February 2008, 08:26 AM
Longdog
Scooby Newbie

Default RE. S4 0r TDI

I have a B7 S4 Avant and have to say that if you do decide to go down this route you will not be dissapointed. I changed from an 04 PPPsti and while I loved my scooby (I've had 3) I don't miss it a bit. Apart from being a tad thirstier it's better in every respect (and quicker)
With regards to the 3.0 Tdi, I've heard it's a cracker but personally I would rather put up with slightly higher running costs than have a diesel.

Each to their own, I suppose.
Old 22 February 2008, 09:57 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Echo above though - I've had two Scoobs before, and the difference in driving experience is totally different.
I will always miss the sound of my Scoob, but for everything else, not a chance. The Audi is a much heavier car, and not as chuckable on a track (IMHO) - but if you want a track car, get one more suited to the purpose!

What I now wholly appreciate is the refinement that the car brings. Little things like arriving at a destination refreshed and not tired like I was in the Impreza.

I'll always have a soft spot for the Scoob, but you move on/grow up or tired!!

You won't be disapointed

Dan
Old 22 February 2008, 11:15 AM
ak47mh
Scooby Regular

Just an update to say I put a deposit down on an 04 S4 Avant in Dolphin Grey yesterday. It has nearly every toy apart from Sat Nav which doesn't bother me, as I have a Tom Tom and hardly use that anyway.

I didn't end up checking out the A4 3.0 TDI. I had a TDI hire car when I viewed the car (work trip) and whilst that felt quick, it was no contest when I started up the S4 and heard that V8. As Dan also says it was a very nice place to be inside and just felt a lot more special than an A4 ever would. Just have the small matter of trying to convince the wife that we need a Milltek system on it now...

Cheers,
Ant
Old 22 February 2008, 12:01 PM
scoobberdoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ak47mh
Just an update to say I put a deposit down on an 04 S4 Avant in Dolphin Grey yesterday. It has nearly every toy apart from Sat Nav which doesn't bother me, as I have a Tom Tom and hardly use that anyway.

I didn't end up checking out the A4 3.0 TDI. I had a TDI hire car when I viewed the car (work trip) and whilst that felt quick, it was no contest when I started up the S4 and heard that V8. As Dan also says it was a very nice place to be inside and just felt a lot more special than an A4 ever would. Just have the small matter of trying to convince the wife that we need a Milltek system on it now...

Cheers,
Ant
Nice one, hope you enjoy it.
Old 22 February 2008, 05:23 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Top one get some pics up!!!

Dan
Old 23 February 2008, 03:22 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

You can always get the DVD Sat Nav retro fitted (thats what I did)

Couple of guys over on tyresmoke can sort it for you.
Old 23 February 2008, 11:51 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Any good Audi forums? Just got an A4 3.2 quattro cab....
Old 24 February 2008, 09:04 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Domain name registration & web hosting from 123-reg
Audi-Sport.net home to the best Audi car forum
Welcome to AudiWorld.com - The Audi Enthusiast Website
Audifans.net

The first two are the biggies, as the audi forum stuff and modding is bigger in the States

Dan
Old 24 February 2008, 09:57 AM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

Tyresmoke.Net: Viewing list of forums
Old 25 February 2008, 09:03 AM
ak47mh
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. I don't pick it up until the end of this week, so will post some better pics then. Yet it basically looks like this, except manual:

http://www.graysonline.com.au/oimg/93397_192098.gif

Cheers,
Ant