considering the change from a classic to a CTR... Any advice

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2007, 01:15 PM
SW Sport Pilot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering the change from a classic to a CTR... Any advice

Hey all

As the thread said im thinking of making the change from my Classic Turbo 2000 at the end of the summer( an enjoy the scoob and save some cash ) to a Civic Type R. while im not really fussed on gitting rid of the scoob priorities are changing slightly and something as expensive as a scoob may be a bit of a problem. Im considering one of the recent Type R's and i was wondering if anyone on here has made the change and what they thought about the car, was it that much cheaper to run etc

Any opinions gratefully received

Cheers

Ian
Old 30 March 2007, 01:25 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Do you mean the one that has been around for the last 4-5 years when you say recent, or the most recent one that has only been around a few weeks?

If the former, I have done the same as you, only I had a couple of cars in between the Classic and the Type R.

IMO, the Type R offers you 95% of the performance and enjoyment of driving, for about half the running costs. A quick guide - mpg 23-25pmg on the Subaru, 30-32 on the CTR. Servicing, once year on the Type R, 125 quid for the 12 month at a Honda dealer, 245 for the second. Tyres, used to last me about 8-10k all round on the Subaru, Fronts lasted 17k on the CTR, rears still look fine after 22k. Depreciation is also in a different league to the Subaru. Also, I find the inside a much nicer place to be - but again, this is all against a Classic, I've no idea how nice the interior is on a current Subaru.

All in all, I'm very glad I changed, and wouldn't have a standard Turbo (new or old) over a CTR now, as the difference in costs just doesn't make sense to me for the incredibly slight performance gains. Obviously, if you're into modding, then it's easier with the Turbo, but I've never done that so it didn't apply to me.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with mate.
Old 30 March 2007, 01:28 PM
SW Sport Pilot
Scooby Regular

cheers Sub

yeah im looking at about an 02 or 03 reg sort of age

Do you notice a difference when it comes to insurance time. and what about the vaguesteering issue ive heard mumbled about any experience with that in yours

Cheers again, will let you know if i have any more questions

Ian
Old 30 March 2007, 01:31 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Insurance for me is 450 quid a year. 28 year old with no points and full NCB.

I was only 23 when I had the Subaru, so not really a fair comparison.

The steering feels fine to me, but then I only use the car for road use, and to make safe but swift progress. I'm not a professional racing driver like some on here

Best advice is to take one for a spin and see what you think mate. They should be very reliable too, which was a plus point for me.
Old 30 March 2007, 01:36 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Agree totally with sub97's points.

I went from a 98 Classic to a CTR, via a 523 in between mind you, and have to say the running costs on a CTR are much much lower.

Performance wise, personally I dont think there is not much in it, as my classic was unmodified, but in the wet the CTR struggles to get any grip, which is not really an issue with the subaru of course.

Re the steering, well the electronic power steering thing is pretty poor, and the lock to lock position on the steering is poor, meaning it has a bigger turning circle than the titanic, but apart from that, its a great car. Had mine 14 months now, which is a long time for me, and have no plans to change.
Old 30 March 2007, 01:48 PM
SW Sport Pilot
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that guys

Every one ive spoken too so far seems to rate them highly, im thinking that it may be a perfect car for my needs, even more so that a my00 scoob and would let me put money elsewhere, buying first house for example.

I also like the idea that its a very "all together " package, the only mods ive read that people by a spoon exhausts and mugen air boxes. That must say something about the OE setup of the car

Do the cars benefit from having AC, ive noticed there does seem to be a premium in price for these models

Cheers

Ian
Old 30 March 2007, 01:53 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Personally I would not buy a car without air con and dealers will lift your leg re trade in price when you come to sell on again, so I would go for aircon every time.

And red ones in my opinion look the best!
Old 30 March 2007, 01:58 PM
SW Sport Pilot
Scooby Regular

the milano red is the rarest isnt it.

It is a lovely colour isnt it, i read than since it wasnt a metallic colour that they brought fewer of these over into the uk and now its become the most desirable.

Ive always liked the anthracite silver that they came out in originally and then later as a ltd edition and i doubt i could afford an imported version in the championship white.

I think i will keep an eye out for the AC cars though just for residual values but i am looking to keep this car for a while which is where i failed on previous cars lasting me a year maximum

Ian
Old 30 March 2007, 02:31 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it could be the right car for you then mate.

I usually keep cars around 6-9 months, but I've had this one nearly two years, and have no plans to change it. It currently does everything I want it to.

Regards the colour, it's probably a completely weird thing just with me, but I got a red one in the end too, partly becase there is a fair bit of red in the cabin, seats, Type R logos etc, and I felt it matched that. Personally, I thought it went better together. I think the black is good too, as it contrasts well with the red, but I always found the silver/grey ones looked slightly worse with the red interior. Again, all IMO.
Old 30 March 2007, 03:11 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

CTR's are a great car and as said above half the price to run!! The insurance group on the 2 cars are the same (group 17) but will be a lot cheaper to run etc. my CTR is the best car I've owned, loads of fun but I have to disagree on the colour thing, Night Hawk Black it by far the fastest colour!!
Old 30 March 2007, 03:34 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'd be more tempted to get a DC5 Integra myself. The CTR or DC5 would be a good compromise though - much cheaper to run but near enough as quick and fun in a totally different way. Just don't go into it expecting to be thumped in your seat, etc. It's a different kind of experience from that
Old 30 March 2007, 06:50 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Love my CTR, Milano Red with A/C

As stated, the only time you will miss the scoob is in the wet!

I used to heavily mod my cars.. all this one has is an AEM - V2 Intakes and it sounds amazing. No need for an exhaust.

very quiet on the daily commute, but really sounds awesome when the vtec kicks in!
Old 30 March 2007, 08:51 PM
super6four
Scooby Regular

The best thing I have done to my CTR in 4 years of ownership and 86k miles is to change the tyres and have a fast road set up done. I am currently running Yoko Parada Spec 2's and whilst being a little softer the combination of the subtle change to the geometry and the new tyres have litteraly transformed the feel and turn in on the front end of the Civic.

Toyo T1's are also very good. Both a lot better than the OEM Bridgstones, which are ok, but I found them over stiff in the sidewall, and whilst ok in general with reasonable wear, just did not grip any where as well as the Yokos.
Old 30 March 2007, 09:16 PM
SW Sport Pilot
Scooby Regular

Ive got the same tyres and a fast road set up on my turbo 2000 super 6 so know what you mean and id have no problems using them again

I think a CTR is definately on the cards just need to get the cash saved up a bit sharpish and find a nice one in the dealers red with Ac me thinks

Ian
Old 01 April 2007, 01:14 AM
super6four
Scooby Regular

With the new Type R (FN2) out, I am sure you will find a few trade-ins at your dealers. Also worth looking at the usser forums perhaps. Often find a well looked after example there. Red, good choice. I love my Nighthawk Black, but it is a pain in the *** to keep clean.
Old 08 April 2007, 02:59 PM
SW Sport Pilot
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the advice

I went wandering around the local honda dealer yesterday and saw the CTR that id like to take home, it was a 55 in cosmic Grey (AC) that has only done 8000 miles. absolutely immaculate, the only problem is that it was up for 12k when a brand new one is only 19k. Im really taken with the car but unfortunately it doesnt look like they were willing to negotiate on the price with the new model out. as they said the old CTR is just as desired as the new one.

My scoob is going for a value appraisel tomorrow see how much it is worth(minus finace) may get lucky

Cheers

Ian
Old 08 April 2007, 03:57 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

I like the CTR, in fact nearly bought a brand new 4 years ago, until i drove the scoob and had that instead.
Can't really see there being that much difference in running costs, not enough to out weight the fact your going to have to put money with your car even to buy an 02 plate.
They are both high performance cars so insurance is going to be high on both, the CTR only does a few more miles to the gallon.

If you are looking to buy a house i don't see how spending a couple of thousand changing your car is going to help.

Compare price's:
Subaru Impreza Saloon Turbo 2000 4WD 4d Valuation - Parker's
Honda Civic Type-R 2.0i VTEC 3d Valuation - Parker's

bare in mind if you p/x you will get trade for yours and pay top wack for the CTR.
Old 08 April 2007, 07:50 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

I've bought a CTR last week and pick it up on Tuesday . I'm going from a 320 bhp MY00 which was noticably quicker than the CTR when I test drove it, but I was expecting this (the CTR is no slouch though ).
The CTR is a miles better place to be though and does everything I need/will need over the next few years.

For reference, it's a '05 plate with only 2700 miles , full service history etc, from a Honda dealer and I got it for £13300, with £6200 trade in for the scoob (42k miles), so not an amazing deal, but not bad, and saves me the hassle of having to sell the scoob privately.

I'll let you know how I find it
Old 09 April 2007, 01:44 PM
super6four
Scooby Regular

Welcome to CTR ownership. I hope no-one here minds but if you need any help- or advice pop into my other forum and say hi. We are also a friendly bunch with a good collective knowledge base of the car. There are also folks on there who have gone from Scooby ownership to Type-R, and the other way around

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/
Old 10 April 2007, 05:47 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Just picked my CTR up about 3 hours ago. First impressions are very good
Old 10 April 2007, 09:48 PM
SW Sport Pilot
Scooby Regular

Good to hear its going well mate let us know what your impressions are of the car

Cheers

Ian