Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

FAO Supra/Skyline Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2001, 12:00 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as spudgun said above i've driven his little toy

and i can say is its a right pile............

only kidding.

i've been in a standard R33 and i was seriously unimpressed.
It felt big, heavy, not that quick (in a feeling of speed way, due to car size) and it went from being a car i'd always wanted, to being a car that i was disapointed with.

But then at the bolney meet, spudgun took me out in his.
WOW
it felt quick, made nice noises (i like noisy cars, evo's don't do anything for me) and was BLOODY fast, and more importantly felt it.

It was everything i'd hoped the standard car would have been and more.

I see the skyline as the next most obvious step up from a scoob. I dont consider evo's that much of a progression, ok they brake and handle better from standard (tho my own sti kept up with my friends evo 6 quite happily, tho he couldnt pull me and i couldnt pull away from him) but its not great leap forward.

The skyline however was.

I'd have one tomorrow.

In fact, when the mods are finished on my car, spudguns gonna love it so much he's offered me a straight swop havent you matey

[Edited by ptholt - 12/5/2001 12:02:00 AM]
Old 01 December 2001, 05:13 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Arrow

My Search for a new car has been narrowed to 3 - An STI, a Supra TT, a Skyline GTR (R33), and I am due some money in about 1 week Which is nice.

As I already know plenty about scooby's I'd like some general info about running fairly standard Supra TT's/Skyline GTR's

What MPG do you get on Motoway Journeys?
(My scooby only manages about 22 on a good run)

Is the car corfortable to use in none moving traffic?
(The scooby is fine and the AP clutch I have is perfectly useable in traffic. Are the Nismo/TRD etc ones ok?)

Are these cars reliable and able to be used daily for a 75 mile round journey?
(The scooby has spent one day out of action in the past year due to clutch replacement but otherwise has only needed routine servicing )

Where do you have your car serviced, particularly interested in anyone who can suggest knowledgable garages in the Bristol/Swindon area?
(Currently use a local garage who admit they've never serviced either Supra's or Skylines )

Does the car attract plenty of female attention ?
(Not really too bothered, as I never used my car to pull and don't really know how to, I just thought, as I am now single it would be nice if they did)

I have driven both cars, and prefer the Skyline but a similar age Supra is much cheaper to buy and insure (£800 vs £1400) and better kitted.

So the final question, Its raining hard, you have a 45minute journey home on a mix of A road, B road and motorway, will you be able to keep the car on the road?

Any answers much appreciated...

Jon
Old 02 December 2001, 06:25 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

I can answer the Supra questions. I have a UK-spec TT6, but for the most part the Jap-specs are identical:

>What MPG do you get on Motoway Journeys?
(My scooby only manages about 22 on a good run)<

I achieved 28mpg on one run from Darlington to Dartford. That was with the cruise on and at about 70-80mph for pretty much the whole journey (aside from a couple of 'overtaking' moves ) Normally get 22 or so, although my last tank was 14.8 (that was hoofing it a bot though ). J-specs much prefer 97ron, and are happiest on 97+booster, but a standard one not being driven hard will be ok on 95 - economy will suffer though due to the timing being knocked so far back (the knock sensors in Supra's are *superb*). UK's are quite happy on 95, and even modded ones don't need more than 97 unless *heavily* modded.

>Is the car corfortable to use in none moving traffic?
(The scooby is fine and the AP clutch I have is perfectly useable in traffic. Are the Nismo/TRD etc ones ok?)<

The auto is very comfy The manual has a fairly weighty clutch, and my leg was getting tired after being stuck in traffic for about 3hrs one time. Don't know what a scoob clutch is like though, so can't compare. The 6-speed boxes are also best described as 'agricultural'. Notchy, clonkey, noisy, occasionally hard to slip into gear, all are a result of the sheer strength of the box. Manual or auto box failures on Supras are unheard of, even for mid-range modded ones. Some are smooth as silk, but they are the exception, not the rule. Shove it into gear with a bit of force though and it'll go in every time and you'll *know* it's in gear.

>Are these cars reliable and able to be used daily for a 75 mile round journey?
(The scooby has spent one day out of action in the past year due to clutch replacement but otherwise has only needed routine servicing )<

I'd trust mine to do a 300-mile round trip every day. Bits do wear, and the brakes on J-specs are prone to warping if mistreated. Extremely reliable cars, with everything over-engineered to an almost silly extent. The gaerboxes (both types) will handle silly power with no work, and a manual with an uprated clutch will handle ludicrious power. The manual is the same as used in a couple of Corvettes, and they hardly have a lack of power or torque...

>Where do you have your car serviced, particularly interested in anyone who can suggest knowledgable garages in the Bristol/Swindon area?
(Currently use a local garage who admit they've never serviced either Supra's or Skylines )<

I get my local Toyota garage to do mine, but there are mixed reports of Toyota dealers and Supras. The owners club board (www.mkivsupra.net) will be better able to help you than me

>Does the car attract plenty of female attention ?
(Not really too bothered, as I never used my car to pull and don't really know how to, I just thought, as I am now single it would be nice if they did)<

It attracts attention full-stop! Not quite in the same way as the scoob ('WTF is it?' as opposed to 'Lets race it'). Have found people taking a look at the car when I've come back to it, but generally they've just asked questions rather than looking dodgy.

>I have driven both cars, and prefer the Skyline but a similar age Supra is much cheaper to buy and insure (£800 vs £1400) and better kitted.

So the final question, Its raining hard, you have a 45minute journey home on a mix of A road, B road and motorway, will you be able to keep the car on the road?<

Yes - if you bear in mind you're driving a large, heavy RWD car. Don't think you can floor it mid-corner like a scoob and expect it to behave the same way - you'll be picking the trees out your teeth before you can blink. It's a very torquey car, and if you take the **** in low-grip situations it will bite you on the ****. Get used to it, take your time, learn its characteristics and you'll be powersliding through the corners with a grin the size of the Grand Canyon. The stock traction control can be a useful reminder when you're just plodding along or taking it easy, but is a PITA when you're trying to go quickly (it's way over-protective, and doesn't give you the power back fast enough). The Racelogic system is a favourite in the club, with more people fitting it each day. It's size means you have to be careful if giving it some welly down the twisties, but it's a very stable car when driven correctly. The Skyline would probably be slower in real terms as, despite the AWD, it's physically even larger and heavier than the Supra. B-roads you just have to be careful in wet weather, but in dry it'll grip like **** to a blanket. A-roads it's very happy on, and unless the A-road in question resembles a piece of spaghetti you won't even have to think about keeping it on the road wet or dry. Stick it on a motorway regardless of the weather and it'll see off virtually everything this side of a 355 (and lots of things after when you mod it...)

If you have any other questions go to www.mkivsupra.net, or mail me on keith@siwd.net

Cheers

Keith
Old 02 December 2001, 09:59 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Cool

perhaps the best all round 'compromise' is the sti. it does everything well.
the reason i got the r33 is that i wanted to mod a lot, which i'm nearly done with. roll on thursday
would i get another scooby? yep, love 'em to bits.
would i get another skyline? yep, but only a VERY modded one, it just costs so much to do
would i get a supra? not if it were my only car.spoke to a supra owner a while back, he owned an auto, and he said it was a nightmare in the wet. now, thats all well and good in california, but here in england, it likes to p155 down a lot, it would be a lot of worry.
finally, just say the name...skyline...hmmmmmm
just so so cool........and everyone knows it
Old 02 December 2001, 10:21 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Yep, but I love the look and drive of the Skyline... I did consider Craig H's STI which would be fantastic, but at £20k a little more than I want to spend. If I can do the right deal it looks like I'll get a Skyline GTR LeMans, oddly enough, this is a limited edition in a colour I like and there are two for sale at the moment - Guy Ratcliffes running at 412bhp at the moment, but with a set of Cams and a boost controller it could easily be 450. Which would be fine for me I think.

Spud, hows the 550bhp conversion? Is it still driveable and smooth?

Jon
Old 02 December 2001, 10:26 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Arrow

The supra I've yet to drive in the wet, but it does worry me! My mates Supra is awaiting a new clutch now. He destroyed the last one in 2 months and that was a TRD Twin Plate job at £800 or something... Apparently it was sitting in traffic which killed it, too much stop starting polished the plates

Strange eh...

Just got to do a deal on a Skyline now I think.

Jon
Old 03 December 2001, 07:21 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Smile

polarbearit
its even more driveable and smooth now than it was before
reminds me a little of a big engine beemer. no need to drop a gear when in 5th on a motorway, just press the peddle and away you go.
the car will pootle along quite happily at very low speeds, i.e 30mph, in 4th or 5th gear, no probs at all.
no clutch judder or anything.
with regard to turning circles, i disagree. i found the turning circle of a scooby FAR worse. the skyline, despite its size, is easier to park. you just 'know' where the corners are.
i will let u know more on thursday when the boost upgrade is done.
Old 03 December 2001, 09:37 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Wink

polarbearit
tell ya who'd give an unbiased opinion on the r33....ptholt.
he had a go in mine at bolney, he'd never driven an r33 before. he currently owns a scooby.
maybe he can shed more light on this?
Old 05 December 2001, 07:28 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Cool

ah peter, such a glowing report, i will let you have that tenner on sunday
lets see what she's like tommorrow night,i should need new underwear i hope
Old 05 December 2001, 07:48 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

polarbearit
have a look on the gtr asap, in the 'private for sale section'
there is a black r33 for sale, £13000 has got quite a few mods too
fella needs a quick sale.
Old 06 December 2001, 07:28 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Spud, I've been checking the BBS's daily at work at our on site 'internet cafe!', unfortunately I can't post from work because it stores my account and then anyone can post using my username!

Anyway the Black one at £13k looks like a bargin, BUT I won't buy it. The thing is, although it is been rebuilt it still have 74k on the clock, and I think selling a skyline with 104k on the clock in 18 months might be hard.

So I will continue to persue a couple of others, I've got a little bit of money off Guy's car, but it is still a little more than I want to spend...

Mr Holt, thanks for the comparison, the one I am hoping to get has a bit over 410 bhp at the moment, with potential for 475 fairly easily... That should be enough for me for a while

Jon