Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Golf mk4 v6 4motion!

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2007, 12:28 PM
gmaster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golf mk4 v6 4motion!

Hi all, any thoughts on these golf's ? i had a m4 tdi awhile ago and liked it but it was let down by the handle. So now thinking about getting a 4mo want awd any one know how good this system is? Engine's produce 204bhp which seems like enough i know vw's are normally very strong engine's how good is this v6 lump? thanks.
Old 02 January 2007, 12:31 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Stretch to an R32 if you can - Heaps better handling.

Good engine though.

The Haldex 4WD on both works pretty well but makes the car feel like a FWD a lot of the time (drive goes from 100 FWD to 50/50 depending on loading).
My R gripped very well though and was almost impossible to wrong foot it.

4Mo's are very cheap now though - £8k gets a proper one.
Old 02 January 2007, 12:37 PM
gmaster
Scooby Regular

Yeah love a R32 but out of my price range, thanks for the info maybe some different shocks and springs would be the way to go!
Old 02 January 2007, 12:40 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Good plan - A few V6s have been "turned into" R32s and go very well.

Sort the suspension and you have a good car but they are hard to tune if you plan on more power.
Old 02 January 2007, 01:48 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

V6 4motion - Still a bit too MK3 VR6 like for my liking.
Good lump - pretty quick...
...but the rest is all at bit average.
Cant comment on R32 has have yet drive one
Steve
Old 02 January 2007, 01:59 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

I think the best way to describe the 4 motion is a gt cruiser rather than a hot hatch. the 32 is the big hitter in that respect whereas the 4 motion is a smooth exec hatch with the heated leather and the wood on the dashboard to steer away from the '' boy racer gti'' golf.

with a nice exhaust on they sound bloody lovely too. i saw one on a car video reveiw a while back and the driver was chucking it all over the show and it looked like it gripped in very well indeed.
Old 02 January 2007, 02:23 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

gmaster I've got one of these and it's an excellent car. I haven't got heated leather seats though. I had a Legacy B4 RSK prior to this car and I love the Golf now as much as my Legacy. Instant power, no turbo so no lag, holds the road well, takes off like the proverbial "scalded cat" (groan), looks good, sounds great. It does need to be "driven" hard round bends to get the best handling. My Legacy was much more direct. The Golf's easier to drive fast.
If you're coming to Wiltshire before buying I'll take you out in it and you can see how it feels. PM me if you want to.
Old 02 January 2007, 02:33 PM
farmermo
Scooby Regular

When changing from my volvo t5,I was torn between golf 4motion and a scooby,
So I drove both cars within an hour of each other.
The golf felt sluggish after the volvo (was running 280hp ), and was not what I was looking for, the scooby however felt quick and very nimble.
Also the golf's computer said average mpg of 22, less than the volvo estate!
Old 02 January 2007, 02:35 PM
gmaster
Scooby Regular

Cheers Alg! just what i wanted to hear I've always had golfs in the past and always loved them really tempted by a 4mo now! Yes mate just might take you up on that offer i go to castle combe alot so im around that way fairly often thanks .
Old 02 January 2007, 02:40 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

No problem.
However as farmermo said. Don't expect economy. I get about 32mpg max on a run taking it easy but last week went to Peterborough (lots of roundabouts and bendy roads) and still got 28mpg having fun. About the same as my Subaru.
Old 02 January 2007, 02:58 PM
gmaster
Scooby Regular

Yeah not to fussed about economy you cant really a v6 and moan about economy. What's it like for service's also im i right in thinking you have to service the haldex system? Im torn between a 4mo and a uk impreza? in favour of the golf is better dash, build quality and it's a sleeper. For the scoob that flat four burble though the 4mo sounds pretty good too, good handling, more scoop to mod/ more power, Stands out more in a crowd could be a good or bad thing! .........
Old 02 January 2007, 03:13 PM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Default I Had one a few years back

as said above, a good gt not really a hot hatch. It was actually my wifes favourite car of all time (read into that what you will, e46m3, 530 sport, scooby, caterham etc etc and she liked the golf best )

Biggest issue for me was reliability, it went back 13 times in 2 years so I got rid.
Old 02 January 2007, 03:16 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

I think (but may be wrong) that the Haldex service is just a oil and filter type of service. Luckily mine was done just before I bought it. Mine has a Remus back box which sounds nice and only very slightly louder than the standard box. A different back box means cutting the standard pipe though. The best noise comes from my Blitz Sonic air filter though. Originally meant for a Toyota it fitted straight on and makes the car howl.

I've got white 3.2 Audi TT wheels on the (indigo blue) car which I think looks good.
Can't say I find the MKIVs forum too great though. Seem quite stuck up to me.
Old 02 January 2007, 03:30 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I used to use a couple of Golf forum but agree that they are a bit up their own *****.

I'd get a Scooby but then I've done the Golf thing (mk2 GTi, mk3 GTi 16V, Mk4 R32) and find the Golf a bit too weighty.

Sounds ideal for what you want though - Comfy, quick, refined.
Old 02 January 2007, 03:52 PM
gmaster
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for the replys.. i've got a couple of months yet to think about still not sure what to get? Alg that must sound the nuts!!!! Your 4mo sounds nice got any more pics of it?
Old 02 January 2007, 03:59 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

Have you considered a Seat Leon CUPRA R? you kinda get the golf build and the spec of the s3 audi/gti turbo golf(minus the audis quattro) and a good dob of turbo power that is more akin to the delivery of the subaru .

kinda best of both worlds really. i sold mine last week because in fairness i think i bought a bit of a mule..only had it 5 weeks and the dash was lighting up like a christmas tree and it started to get hotter than a lap dancer wearing a dental floss g string,.but they are a decent enough alternative to the 2 cars mentioned. scope for modding is also good.
Old 02 January 2007, 04:05 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I have had two brandf new hire Seats die on me - So I'd never get one!
Old 02 January 2007, 04:17 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

I bought a Leon Cupra R (225) new in 2004 and would highly recommend it. An absolutely brilliant car. Nippy and very easy to drive fast(ish).100% reliable, I put 32000 miles on it in 12 months. I'm not a sales rep but enjoyed driving it so much I went abroad in it 3 times in that year. No 4wd though. My 4mo was a lot cheaper than if I'd bought a LCR.

My 4Mo was cheap through an auction and isn't the best example but then I'm not one for pristine cars or even washing or polishing them.
Old 02 January 2007, 05:22 PM
gmaster
Scooby Regular

Yeah i like the leon's but really want 4wd though! plus the cupra r's seem to more expensive.