Sponsored by:

Can it be that "Car" is biased?

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2000, 08:50 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

don't you guys feel the VW group cars are getting higher grades than in any other magazines?
first the Golf 4motion beats the old Impreza GT????, only months after the Impreza won "car of the decade", and when all the other magazines ("Autocar", "evo" and "Top gear") say the 4motion is a bad car!
than, the VW Passat beats the new Mondeo and the 156?!
and the Audi A4 beats the B.M.W 3 series and M-B's all new C-class?!
I find it strange.
Old 05 December 2000, 09:03 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Each to their own. The 4motion v6 is probably a wonderful car in its own right and on many counts would beat the impreza such as: comfort, erm,... OK, on 1 count it beats the impreza.

There was a new one of these on the M1 yesterday trying to goad me into a sprint in the rush hour. Sensible. Driver was trying to prove something, I had no axe to grind so didn't get involved didn't stop him dicking around for 5 minutes of acceleration, slowdown, pull behind, pull out, accelerate, slow down, ... turd.

Perhaps users of this BBS are a tad biased ? I can't think of what I'd rather have than my car after yesterday's drive around the environs of Windsor giving it, as the youth of today are wont to say, large. Wet twisty B roads with the window down enjoying the bwaaaaaarp...
Old 07 December 2000, 03:51 AM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

I agree with you. Please see my post, titled Car mag is funny. I would have to say that for at least the last 5 years Car mag has become an automotive corporate brochure.

Most baffling is the range of unknown, just starting out, testers they now utilize.

The mag is mostly about car culture- with bits and blurps about aluminum bits adorning cars and the "art" this represents.

If one was to read Car mag issues from the late 80's and early 90's one would be stunned at the decay of informative, well written text into so many small paragraphs attached to very large pictures and graphics. Sad.
Old 07 December 2000, 06:40 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

Wise words chiak, I'm itching to get my exhaust changed on the new scoob.

Car mags are an interesting way to gain insight into the viewpoint of everyday people, most mags seem to be targeting the larger non-enthusiast audience more and more now.

This BBS is a great way to bring all the nutters together though
Old 07 December 2000, 07:21 AM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

Totally agree...

...and don't get me started on Top Gear and BMW...

Paul