Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

VW Golf GT TDI 2005 model, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2006, 08:01 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VW Golf GT TDI 2005 model, any good?

Looking for a decent family car to replace the 320 CD coupe.

Needs to be 5 doors, diesel, reliable, cheap to run, half decent performance but not arsed about handling or all out ragging. Needs to be comfy for 2 of us plus child, and for the mrs to take to work. Have about £13k to play with.

Narrowed it down to an A3 Sportback, or Golf GT TDI. A3 seems to be £3k more than the Golf.

Anyone owned the Golf? How's it been so far reliability wise?

Anything I need to look out for, or any other marques that I should consider?
Old 31 December 2006, 08:10 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

which tdi is it 110 130 or 150 bhp all can be remapped if needs be..... i have a 150 remapped leon fr does around 32/34 round town driving fairly hard on steady cruising on motorway 70 ish in 6th does anything from 48 to around 55 to the gallon depending on the load ie me only or upto 4 adults.. i always use bp ultimate diesel bit more expensive but less smoke on start up and heavy right footing does i or 2 miles to the gallon more per mile basically the leon is the same mechanically as the mark 4 golf .. if yu get one seriuosly think about getting it remapped and a green panel air filter especially if its the 110 bhp version.. by the way you need to use special vw approved 505.01 minimum spec oil in the pd diesel engines its fully synthetic oil and costs around £ 13 for a litre.. the pd diesel engines run at a much higher pressure than common rail which supposes to give a more efficient diesel engine...
Old 31 December 2006, 09:47 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Are the Pump Düse engines not common rail...?

Last edited by GC8; 31 December 2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 31 December 2006, 11:11 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

DW - the wife has one, GT TDi 140. Done 23k in it from new, had an emissions warning that was fixed under warranty (Manifold flap or something) that's all.

Averages 44mpg accordng to the DIS, mostly round town, can get 50mpg without trying on a run, had 55mpg on an A road run.

GC8 - VW to Switch to Common-Rail Diesel Technology from PD-TDI - Automobile.com Auto News
Old 01 January 2007, 09:11 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

I looked at and drove a 140 tdi before settling on the astra mate. My opinion FWIW! is that VW have lost the plot. No longer do the doors shut with a satisfying clunk, more of a tinny clank! The interior is decidedly mediocre and bland, ride is average, as is performance (to much weight) standard kit is very poor also. Before writing off vauxhall as I nearly did, take a 1.9 cdti Astra for a spin. Get a 5 door with Exterior Pack (side skirts, front and rear bibs, rear spoiler 18" alloys) and you may as I was, be pleasantly surprised! Ok residuals may not be as high, but then again initial outlay is a lot lower so that cancels that out!
Dave
Old 01 January 2007, 11:19 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by misty
No longer do the doors shut with a satisfying clunk, more of a tinny clank! The interior is decidedly mediocre and bland, ride is average, as is performance (to much weight) standard kit is very poor also.
I agree with everything, apart from the performance.

My dad bought a 05 plate brand new and whilst the build quality is ok (puts the scoob to shame by a mile), it's not what you'd expect from a VW.
Things like the back door doesn't like to shut unless you give it a good slam and the passenger seat not locking in place easily when you move it.

The interior isn't the most exciting place to be either, but it has everything you'd need (dual-zone climate control etc), but VW could have been a bit more generous. The stereo is also very good.

The handling is where I was most dissapointed when I drove it. The ride is quite stiff and there's not much body role, but the car feels very heavy in the corners and doesn't inspire confidence when pressing on. However, straight line grunt is very impressive and does put you in the seat, even without a re-map.

One thing to note though, my dad's put 3 litre's of oil in, in 14000 miles. Some say this is normal, other's don't. It's not cheap stuff either.

If I was in the market for a diesel, I wouldn't be dissapointed with one.
Old 01 January 2007, 11:28 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

my sis has a Golf 1.9 TDi Sport had it new 18months 54plate but 05 model (with better alloys and bee string ariel) ago and has now done 42k miles!!! all its needed was a serive , two tyres and top up with oil every so often!!
great car.

I looked at the leons TDi's, but they don't seem to hold the prices well second hand. but still want stupid money on nearly news on dealers forecourts.

my wifes bought the Focus Ghia 1.6 TDCi, totally fully loaded with every extra!! i'm not joking!! 54 plate paid £11k with 21k miles on the clock.
not a speed machine but very comfy with leather seats and all the gizmos

Last edited by salsa-king; 01 January 2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01 January 2007, 01:27 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, tried a new Focus after having one before the Beemer, but the interior quality was so bad compared to our curent Beemer, that we ended up trying a 118D instead - nice, but too ugly outside.

Mrs won't want an Astra as her friend has one and she's not too keen.

May try a Leon though!
Old 01 January 2007, 02:03 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

If you're looking at Golfs, check out the DSG gearbox - it's awesome
Old 01 January 2007, 02:12 PM
MY93WRX
Scooby Regular

Ive got a PD 130 6 speed, had a revo remap and it bloody flies- not as much as my scooby did mind you but i gat between 38-42 mpg from general driving with a heavy go foot. if i cane the nuts off it it still does 30-32 mpg. The torque is mighty impresive too. I would go for sSEAT FR or Cupra, there more sporty than the VW's nowadays
Old 01 January 2007, 02:38 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Not really arsed about performance as I have the 205 for that, just want reliability, economy and comfort.
Old 01 January 2007, 03:04 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

What about an Octavia? You'd get a nicely specced TDI for that money. Plenty of toys, and a HUGE boot compared to Golf or A3.
Old 01 January 2007, 03:10 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

She wants a hatchback, and although not a total badge snob, she won't do the Skoda thing

I like the look of the Leon TDi FR now - over budget, but they look decent for the money.
Old 02 January 2007, 10:04 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

Got an 04 Golf GT TDi - had it for a year now ... previous car was an 03 WRX PPP.

IMHO the Golf is probably the best 'all round' car I have owned - fast, comfortable, cheap, reliable, good spec, practical.

Had no niggles, problems, squeaks or rattles. Feels solid and very well screwed together ... and I do rag it!

I live out in the sticks and do a fair bit of driving on mixed country roads (some A roads too).. and I think it handles and rides superbly considering it is not a sports car. I get around ALMOST as quickly as in the scoob, but am much more relaxed when I step out the other end. It doesn't get a second look from the local pondlife either - which I like.

Would recommend one to anyone... all IMHO of course
Old 02 January 2007, 10:21 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Sounds good blip, time to test a Golf and Leon I think.
Old 02 January 2007, 10:36 AM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

at the end of the day it will come down to personal choice but i tried the golf tdi and settled with a mark 1 leon fr tdi i have done around 11000 miles in it only problem i have found is the wheelspin in the wet if you are heavy footed.. cause its got a fair bit of torque low down you have to build your speed up from nothing then feed the power in... otherwise the traction control just kills the power which can be awkward if you need to move quickly i get around 35/ 37 driving round brum and on a fast run can get up to low 50's i even went to liverpool in the summer 2 up doing around 70 all the way on the m6 and the trip computer reackoned i was getting 62 average ... good car also a bit lighter than the golf. just wish they had released the four wheel drive version over here now that would be good.....

Last edited by Mrfastbaz; 02 January 2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02 January 2007, 12:55 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

One of our suppliers has been rubbing it in - er i mean telling me how she has just bought one over Christmas (the anniversary model) she loves it but told me it was pretty thirsty if you boot it and nowhere near as good as her previous 306 hdi.
Old 02 January 2007, 04:46 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

Seat Altea
Google Image Result for http://www.vagcars.dk/pictures/UserCars/163/880_thumb.jpg
Old 02 January 2007, 05:33 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
She wants a hatchback, and although not a total badge snob, she won't do the Skoda thing
The Octavia is a hatchback (or estate)
Old 02 January 2007, 06:34 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matchmaker
The Octavia is a hatchback (or estate)
It's too big apparently, I pointed one out last night.