Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Run Flat Tyres – Accident waiting to happen

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2006, 03:24 PM
MrTeddyEars
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run Flat Tyres – Accident waiting to happen ?

Hi all,
I am trying to track down people that have had problems with RUNFLAT tyres exploding or wearing abnormally. The reason for this is that I have recently had a rather scary experience with a BMW 5 series estate that has worn the tyres through to the beading on the outside edge in a strip no wider than 10mm, which as you can imagine is almost impossible to pick up. I had a tyre explode at 75mph on the motorway and push me into the hard shoulder.

Having investigated this further it looks like BMW know all about this and have a recall program in the USA for the 5 series, Z4 and the new mini. So if you have had this problem or have had issues with BMW customer services please PM me with your car model, year and dealership you reported this to. I will be happy to give you all my information.

Thanks

Mr T

PS I have put the money down for a used 2006 WRX in black and if you want fantastic customer service speak to Bob at Webbers Subaru.

Last edited by MrTeddyEars; 14 November 2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old 14 November 2006, 03:56 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A nice mod could head off any defamation actions by putting a question mark at the end of your title
Old 14 November 2006, 05:06 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

After what sort of mileage on the tyres did that happen? Is it possibly due to the strong sidewalls causing a localised wear spot on the outside edge?
Old 14 November 2006, 05:15 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Thing is with a run flat, if it is underinflated, overloaded or deflated, it'll suffer the same consequence as a normal tyre that is underinflated/overlaoded: A blow out (especially at motorway speeds)

Yes most of these cars have built in tyre pressure sensors, but they have proven to be unreliable. So if tyre pressures and condition are neglected. The same catostrophic failure is exactly like that of a normal tyre that is neglected.
Old 14 November 2006, 05:39 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just got rid of my 2002 Mini Cooper which had pirelli runflats.

For the first time in 15 years i had a puncture within 1 week of buying the car, the dash indicator never came on and i only found out when i heard the tyre noise while driving so i don't know how long the tyre had been going down.
It turned out to be a split in the sidewall under the rim and the tyre guys thought it could be the fault of whoever fitted the tyres (maybe gourging the tyre while levering it on).
They said they's had quite a few Mini owners in with puncture problems and a lot of tyre places wont fit runflats or repair them as it can be a chore to get the tyre off and another on as the sidewall is too rigid which is why they need levering on.
I was quoted Ł170 by BMW and Ł140 by National tyres for a replacement (all origional tyres were 55 miles old) - i opted for a pair of standard (non runflats) for the front which cost Ł138 the pair - better ride quality, quieter, more grip
Old 14 November 2006, 05:54 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

They need a tyre changer with the extra arm to remove and put the tyre on. A "good" tyre place will have one - as they need them to do most 35 and 40 profile tyre on 18"+ wheels without damaging or chipping the rim.

(or my Yoko Pradas which are only 17" and 40 profile )
Old 14 November 2006, 06:21 PM
MrTeddyEars
Scooby Regular

The tyres are showing the exact wear pattern on all 4 tyres and I have a BMW service bulletin from the USA telling all dealers to replace RFT that show this uneven wear pattern on the E60 with Michelin.

BMW USA call it tyre cupping and it also occurs on Mini’s, Z4’s and 5 Series. BMW UK is aware of the problem but I think they are waiting for someone to die before they admit to the problem.

As far as the mileage goes it was around 24k which is coming up for replacement but if you look at the tyres they look absolutely perfect and show minimal wear. Until you look really close and see the tire wall leaving the side wall.

I have to say I went faint when I looked at the tyres and considering the wife’s P1 gets around 28k to a set of Pirellis I really didn’t think anything of it and was going to get them replaced at the next service.

So after a long protracted argument with them in which they of course blame the user I have found a number of people that have had the same problem. This is a massive issue for BMW and they are doing the up most to hide it.

So long and short of it is that the my soon to be X BMW now has normal tyres that are still wearing on the outside edge but in a more uniform pattern as would be expected and I have bought a 06 Black WRX and I cant wait to get rid of this death trap.

So its Auf Wiedersehen Bavarian Motor Company and Konichiwa Subaru.

Shame that I have to take them to court over this but that is life and I am sorry I ever stepped away from my old Subaru.

By the way thanks for all you comments guys I appreciate it 
Old 14 November 2006, 06:40 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

I had a problem with Pirrelli tyres on a SAAB that where splitting away from the inner tyre structure with 8mm of tread left on the tyre, on close inspection they also had severe flat spots.

SAAB didnt want to know and blamed Pirrelli, my case was based on the new car was supplied by SAAB UK with Pirrelli tyres fitted so the sale of goods act fell on them.
I was also told by a SAAB UK customer services rep that as a result of constant complaints from owners to SAAB UK with regard Pirrelli tyres all new SAAB's come as standard with Continental tyres fitted.

I then with some help from my local dealer manager took my points to the tyre distributor that sold the tyres in bulk to SAAB, they then sent the tyres off for examination which confirmed the tyres where faulty at manufacture, Pirrelli then sent me a letter confirming all 4 tyres would be replaced as a gesture of goodwill but that this was in no way an admission of guilt.

I didnt care so long as i got the result i wanted.

I then used the new tyre voucher and fitted 4 new Toyo T1R tyres to the car.

Zippy

Last edited by ZIPPY; 14 November 2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 14 November 2006, 07:01 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Have a look at E60 Forums
Old 14 November 2006, 09:46 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

I have a mini at the moment with dunlop run flats and I got a puncture the other week, the tyres are like bloody brand new and I had to buy another because they wouldn't repair it and it cost me Ł146 for one tyre!!.. Pi$$ed me off cause I've sold the car and it goes next week so I'm not even getting the use out of it !!

Carla..
Old 14 November 2006, 10:11 PM
Scooby Senior

I've got a 530d courtesy car, and 3 of the tyres were nearing the legal limit, so I asked for them to be changed. they paid for the tyres and my time to get them changed at a place in ellesmere port, cost, 35/ corner for nearly new 245/45/17 runflats. Runflats can be repaired just like a normal tyre, it's the old sell them a new one routine, although some dont see it like that, and prefer to think that their safety is being compromised. Ive just done 1500 miles last weekend, involving a certain 13 mile road in germany with no problems to report
Old 15 November 2006, 12:07 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Runflats have to be one of the worst inventions ever.
My 535d had them on when i test drove it, it wasnt a nice drive, so after some research i asked BMW to change the tyres & the deal would be done.
They done it without a problem.
Old 15 November 2006, 08:48 AM
MrTeddyEars
Scooby Regular

It’s funny as I read through this thread and see the frustration in people’s posts. I can see from the manufacturer’s point of view that they can save weight on the car not having a spare and the supposed safety factor but so many customers are so unhappy with these tires. However its not just a BMW problem I have read that Toyota and Nissan have stop fitting them in the USA because of the very same problems.

I believe in the new 3 series you don’t have any other option other than RFT and no where for a spare tire. I have seen a number of forums in the USA are talking about a class action law suite against BMW USA.

As I have said all along the car is fun to drive and corners well is built superbly but I truly believe these RFT are going to kill someone and I am not going to be the one.

Shame as I have always been told "customer is king" and you help them out best you can.