Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

GTI-6. Anything I should be looking for?

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2006, 05:00 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GTI-6. Anything I should be looking for?

They seem to be pretty cheap at the moment (circa £2500K).......Insurance is also very good

What should I be looking out for? Don't want any modded rubbish. Just a clean GTI-6.

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Old 24 August 2006, 07:23 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Check the cambelt replacement - needs to be done twice as frequent as manu's recommend..........

Good place to ask here: http://www.306gti6.com/
Old 24 August 2006, 07:35 PM
555Rob555
Scooby Regular

On a test drive, check the handling isn't a bit to tail happy. The rear beams have "passive reaar steer" and can get a bit floppy when worn.

I've got a phase 1 (old style) and it is an awesome sleeper. Lighter and therefore faster and no air con.

Its for sale
Old 24 August 2006, 09:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to pick up a nice phase 2 car for that money, owned both a phase 1 and a phase 2, the phase 2 was quicker btw but I preferred the phase 1 leather interior (had leather door cards rather than cloth) but a better spec on the phase 2 and they sorted out the notchy gearbox from phase 1 to phase 2.

Look for accident damage, some dodgy drivers out there (avoid P616 MRJ, was mine but some nice guy drove though a red light and squashed it then they repaired it.... was never the same)
Rocker covers can leak, as stated, cambelts at 36k miles and not 72, though I have heard of them going before 36k also so best at either 27k or 30k depending on if the car is a 97 (9k service intervals) or a 98 (20k service intervals though a 10k oil change is recommended)
On phase 2 models ensure the rain sensitive wipers work, its the first position on the stalk, just pour water over the sensor at the top of the screen where the mirror is, should wipe depending on the ammount of water you put on (slow, med and fast).
Brakes should feel good, if not better than a classic impreza (which isnt hard ) though the leather interior can wear
Usual checks on smoke on start up, shouldnt use oil or water (pugs can be prone to head gaskets going), dead locks should work, and make sure you get all the keys as they are expensive to replace on the phase 2 (transponder immobilser), phase 1 cars will have a keypad immobiliser.
Door hinges can drop (hear the doors click when you open them) cheap to sort out, check the door seals (rear and front for water on the floor) aint priced them up yet but its common on older 3 door cars and check the fans work (including the climate control), plus ensure the heater matrix hasnt spilled its guts all over the place (couple of signs, greasy film on the window, cold air only blowing though and water in the passenger footwell).
In the engine bay you have in the top corners when you look in, (drivers side first) the wiper motor, to the left is a drainage hole, ensure its free of dirt otherwise the motor drowns, other side wont have anything in there but you will see what I mean
Last thing to look at is the rear beam (axle) which wear with abuse/age, not too expensive to fix (about 200 quid) but the car will feel very light at the rear and a little wobbly and it will catch the rear arches.
Rust shouldnt be a problem either and check the radiator, they rot easily though there is a place called "radicool" that sells nissen rads on ebay that fit, about 90 quid (alloy ) if you do need to replace.

Think thats all

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 24 August 2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 24 August 2006, 09:15 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
Check the cambelt replacement - needs to be done twice as frequent as manu's recommend..........

Good place to ask here: http://www.306gti6.com/
Having just sold my GTi-6 (which I owned for 3 years) i would recommend you check out that website

Great cars. Didnt want to sell mine but buying a house further away from work meant it was time for a weasel.

Check cambelt, air con, accident damage, electrics,

But i think theres a buying guide on the website above under "FAQ"
Old 24 August 2006, 09:46 PM
555Rob555
Scooby Regular

Speak to Colin at Pug Performance. What he doesn't know about them isn't worth knowing.
Old 24 August 2006, 09:53 PM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Build up your left leg with as many wieghts as possible, heaviest clutch ever !
Old 24 August 2006, 09:59 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Nice one guys - I've had 306s in all but the GTi6 guise, but they were phase 1s, so your info is invaluable

Just having a look around now - seems to be harder to find a clean example than the Scoobs were My S4 was much easier to find (albeit rare as rocking-horse sh1te!!! )

Most seem to be lowered and have exhaust/filter/induction mods and have been lowered.
Basically, the car is going to be used by wifey, so I don't want something that's going to draw attention to itself

Dan
Old 28 August 2006, 10:44 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Had a Rallye first, then after a gap of a couple of years went back and got a Phase 1 GTi-6 as I needed to downgrade to a cheaper car for a while, but still wanted a quick fun car.

Brilliant cars, handling is superb, I went from a CTR back to the 306 and it blows the Civic out of the water in that respect, and it wasn't much slower either.

As the others have said check out www.306gti6.com for all the info you'll ever need
Old 28 August 2006, 10:45 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 555Rob555
Speak to Colin at Pug Performance. What he doesn't know about them isn't worth knowing.
He's not got a great reputation amongst the 306 community actually...
Old 28 August 2006, 10:47 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 94impreza
Build up your left leg with as many wieghts as possible, heaviest clutch ever !
Usually just the cable, on the UK cars being RHD the cable runs right past the stainless tubular manifold which gets very very hot, this dries the lube in the cable and makes them stiff.

A new cable usually helps a lot, but I fitted a new clutch as well in my Phase 1 and it was like a different car, really nice smooth action and not too heavy
Old 28 August 2006, 11:23 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rich D
He's not got a great reputation amongst the 306 community actually...
Make that the Peugeot community
Old 28 August 2006, 11:23 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rich D
Usually just the cable, on the UK cars being RHD the cable runs right past the stainless tubular manifold which gets very very hot, this dries the lube in the cable and makes them stiff.

A new cable usually helps a lot, but I fitted a new clutch as well in my Phase 1 and it was like a different car, really nice smooth action and not too heavy
As for heavy clutches - think the 306 is bad - try the Xsara VTS clutch and gearchange!
Old 29 August 2006, 07:16 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

IIRC,. the worst clutch I ever experienced was on a Clio Williams. Talk about heavy

Dan
Old 29 August 2006, 12:50 PM
gi1
Scooby Regular

My bros got a nice one for sale if you can push up to £3000, cambelts,tensioners & water pump done.
Old 29 August 2006, 06:17 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

bit rich at the moment, but "thanks"

Dan
Old 30 August 2006, 07:01 PM
Gompo
Scooby Regular

I'd consider letting mine go for £2.4k. VGC but the odd thing or two not perfect. PM if you are interested.

Cheers, Greg.