Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

306 GTI-6 or Corrado VR6

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2003, 02:06 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same sort of decision a little while ago. I didnt know whether to buy a Golf VR6 or a 306 GTi-6.

What made my mind was borrowing a VR6 from a friend and I couldnt believe how much petrol it drank. The build quality was good but I didnt like the fact that 5K would only buy me a high mileage 1995/96 model.

Then a mate bought a GTi-6 and I went for a ride and loved it. The handling was very good, it had loads of extras. So I went for the GTi-6. Had it 3 months now and it has been good. But had a few probs, In three months I've had to change the exhaust, the rev counter stopped working (£270 from peugeot brand new) and the air con has stopped working. Also the panels are very flimsy and weak.

I dont regret going for the GTI-6, I love having an extra gear and the extras.

The best thing is to take out a Corrodo on a test drive and then take out a GTi-6. You can decide which you prefer.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=123176 - a thread that might help.

Edited to add the link.

[Edited by Recaro - 9/7/2003 2:09:35 PM]
Old 28 August 2003, 11:58 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Question

After selling my P1 i'm going to have roughly £5000 free for a car, and i've narrowed it down to these two.

5k will buy me a Corrado VR6 with a high mileage, 93-94 year, without anything like leather and air-con.
On the other hand, i've heard its a quick car, with exceptional handling, and the engines meant to be a diamond!

5k will also buy me a 306 GTI-6, 50-70k miles, 97-98 year, with half leather, air-con, cd player etc.
Its meant to handle equally as well as the VR6, a tad slower. I've heard its fairly well built for a peugeot, but looks a bit run of the mill, family hatchback.

My heart says the VR6, as its a bit special, but my head says the GTI-6, as it'll be newer, with more creature comforts.

What do you reckon? Any advice or input is most welcome.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 29 August 2003, 02:13 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know I may be biased (check name) but you really wouldn't regret getting a Corrado. Mine is 12yo and is very well respected amongst the Scooby people at meets. If you've never driven one, then do so before you take the Peugeot option. I know the 306, like all Pugs, has a competent chassis and good handling, but Corrados are simply divine. I know a few Scoob drivers who would have one like a shot if they could get a new one (see comments and pics here . As for creature comforts, aim for a "Storm" and you'll get leather and aircon. There were only 500 of those, and only 9000 Corrados in the UK in total, so you can feel very exclusive. A Storm can be had for your money here but it may be wise to spend a little more. The engines are very strong, but if they do go wrong, it's expensive. Head gaskets go if the wrong coolant (VW only) is used, and the oil pump is delicate after 70k or so. It's mounted inside engine and is £400+ to fix (ouch) so get a full inspection done, or if you buy from a dealer, make sure the warranty is OK. I've had mine for 9 years (tells you something) and it still puts a smile on my face every day. How many 306 owners keep them that long and still love them dearly? And how much respect from other enthusiasts (except Pug lovers) do they generate?

Whatever you decide, Happy Motoring.
Old 29 August 2003, 09:06 AM
Rokerlad
Scooby Regular

306 every time. Your money will get you a far newer motor. The Corrados look well dated now IMHO. I sold my mint 99 S Rallye for £5800 in January so by now they should be dropping into your price band. Just a thought.
Old 29 August 2003, 09:09 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Old 29 August 2003, 10:15 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Corrado Storm - for sure. They're exclusive, as the "Boy" above says, and they look different. There are (in comparison) zillions of Pugs around.

All the motoring press rave about the handling and performance of the Corrados, and with a 2.9 V6, it sounds wicked too.

Old 29 August 2003, 10:26 AM
Ben Muirhead
Scooby Regular

Mate.... just gone from a MY98 to black 1999 306 GTi-6. IMHO it's better than the Scoob in every way, other than the torque and noise. The chassis is unbelievable... I used to have a 106 S2 Rallye and this would destroy it on the bends.... The brakes are the best I've ever used. When it hits 5000 rpm it storms, but there's still a nice torque spread throughout the range and trust me, it'll do 140. It's a nice place to be too: Leather/Alcantara, CD & changer, EW, EM, Air-Con, 4 Air-bags, Auto-wiper etc. Best motor I've had, by a distance. Mine cost £6.1K and has 35K on the clock..... Can't comment on the Corrado as I've never driven one, though I think they look nice in a retro kind of way.
Old 29 August 2003, 10:51 AM
GrahameS
Scooby Regular

I had a GTI-6 before I bought my RB5 and I have to say
they are excellent cars performance & handling wise
and I wouldn't think twice about going back to one,
keep thinking about doing it actually. Compared the the Scoob
it was luxury and you can easily surprise some 'performance'
cars in them !

Can't really comment on the Corrado as i've never been in one..

Edited due to far too many unnecessary commas

[Edited by GrahameS - 8/29/2003 10:52:39 AM]

[Edited by GrahameS - 8/29/2003 10:52:56 AM]
Old 29 August 2003, 11:04 AM
si325i
Scooby Regular

i'd get the VW. there are loads of peugeots. some one might think your diesel driver.(?)
or how about a 328i, (there lots of bmw's too, not so many 328 thou).

Si..
BMW 328i, 96 N dark
met blue, PAS, e/windows, c/locking, s/r, r/c etc, one previous owner, original car £4995 auto trader..
Old 29 August 2003, 11:21 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Wink

306 all the way Its a superb machine - had one and tried a VR6 when I was buying it.

The handling on the Pug outshines the Veedub in every aspect, its a much more drivers car, good pace, good kit, fantastic brakes etc.

The VR6 is a bit faster though, and still a great car, especially the Storm but I'd go 306, and I did!
Old 29 August 2003, 12:34 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Is there a particular year for a GTi-6 to look out for? Was there a facelift from 98 onwards or are they the same? I've been looking into buying one too! 97's seem to be a lot cheaper than 98+
Old 29 August 2003, 01:09 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Facelift was April 97. Launched in Jul 96 as a phase 1 car (rectangular fogs) which is what mine was (prefer the look too if you colour code the bumpers and fit the later rear lights). In apr 97 it turned into the phase 2 (round fogs)which allegedly had a slightly different suspension setup. There were a couple of recalls, check they've been done, nothing major though - and can't remember what they were for!
Old 29 August 2003, 01:13 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Gti-6 m8!

Had one - loved it... nothing i've driven for the money had better stearing feel and handling (except when i crashed it )

Jza
Old 29 August 2003, 01:24 PM
Luke
BANNED

Corrado

Quick question for you as you seem to be the resident expert..

do all genuine storms have aircon???? this one you made a link to doesnt.

(Getting my new amp for the Jecklins today....one very exited luke!!)
Old 29 August 2003, 01:34 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Definitely the Gti-6. I had a '99 before my 03WRX PPP, and I still miss it. There are certain bends around here that I could take flat easily in the 306 at speeds that in the WRX feel slightly 'heart in mouth'.

It totally communicates everything it is doing to the driver - and if you are an 'enthusiastic' driver you'll love the confidence it inspires. By comparison my WRX feels wallowy and rolls all over the place.

Best memory was 'hassling' an M3 through my favourite twisties in the wet in it. M3 driver eventually spat the dummy in a very funny way because he couldn't really shake me off. I was just trying to get somewhere in a hurry and not really racing at all.

If I ever have to 'downgrade' I'll be straight back to a Gti-6!
Old 29 August 2003, 01:35 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Get the GTi-6 mate...

I used to have a 306 Rallye and it was a superb car!
Old 29 August 2003, 04:19 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Has anyone else noticed a link between my comments about exclusivity and the amount of Peugeot responses ? Anyway, it looks like you're going Pug so I won't beat on any further. Hope you don't feel too deflated when you have to squint to see your badge to identifiy it from all the moms cars in the supermarket car park (LOL).
Luke - Yes, AFAIK all Storms had A/C. Is it just not mentioned in the add or has the vendor confirmed its absence ?
Steve - Just on another point, have you considered the Audi S2 Coupe . Similar image to the Corrado, 235bhp, 4X4, great handling and performance. A bit more mature, but still a hooligan in the right hands.

Test drive them all, it's gonna be your car after all.
Old 29 August 2003, 04:39 PM
GrahameS
Scooby Regular

Agree with Corrado, it doesn't really matter what everyones opinons
are cos they'll all be different. Drive them both and your decision
will soon be made...Whichever way you go they are both nice..
Old 29 August 2003, 06:02 PM
DAYZEE
Scooby Regular

Air con was an option on the Storm. The paint and air con were the only options.
One of my friends has a Mystic Blue Storm with no air con.
Old 29 August 2003, 07:13 PM
Luke
BANNED

The seller said his didnt..... Shame cos I would have had it...
Old 29 August 2003, 08:24 PM
Steve V8
Scooby Regular

Corrado. Along with the Lotus Elan of the early 90's the best handling front wheel drive car bar none (including the 306).
If you get the VR6 as well it would absolutely destroy the GTi-6 on performance too.

[Edited by Steve V8 - 8/29/2003 8:25:02 PM]
Old 29 August 2003, 08:46 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Ive owned 2 306 GTi-6's before i got the scoob, they are an excellent car but not really a patch on the scoob (the scoob has 4 doors and considerably more space in the boot!)
Ok, my first one was a phase 1, no aircon but it did have a sunroof, full leather inserts in the doors etc (a better interior over the phase 2 if you ask me ) but the phase 2 felt the quicker car, lots of goodies on it, 9k service intervals (unless you got an MY98 onwards and they were then 20k which i wouldnt trust on a GTi-6 )
Known problems..... pre 98 models had recalls for fuel lines and something else that ive forgotten, if you get a pre 98 then make sure it has these recalls in the service manual!
They had the cr@ppy interior on some models (my98?) where they had a funny coloured cloth instead of the alcantara (give these a miss IMHO!).
Brakes are excellent better than even the scoobs 4pots, good grip from the tyres but torque steer heaven in the wet
Clutches can go and its quite a big fault, along with cambelts and head gaskets (cambelts shouldnt do more than 3 years/30k miles as they are a little suspect but not too expensive )
Id still go and buy a 306 GTI-6 but it would have to be as a second car as there is no way id get rid of the scoob as she's such a fun car

Tony
Old 29 August 2003, 09:47 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Yeah all id say is check the cambelt is done regularly.

I know they aint half as pretty but a xsara vts is pretty much the same car with slightly different suspension setup and 5 speed box.

Quicker to 100 than a gti-6, nice interior and a lot cheaper for same year. Seem 51 platers go for 7.5k with liek 12k on the clock!

But they look dull as dishwater and the phase 2 xsara, urgh that front is orrible.
Old 29 August 2003, 09:48 PM
Rokerlad
Scooby Regular

There really isn't much in it performance wise between the VR6 and the GTi-6..
Old 29 August 2003, 10:56 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Corrado. Along with the Lotus Elan of the early 90's the best handling front wheel drive car bar none (including the 306).
If you get the VR6 as well it would absolutely destroy the GTi-6 on performance too.
Just as you said, best handling fwd car from the EARLY 90's. The 306 GTi comes from the mid/late 90's, and its no contest the 306 is the better handling car IMHO having tried both. However, as I've said, they are both great cars, the Corrado having the edge in straight line performance and the Pug with the edge in the handling and as has been said you'll have to try both and see which you prefer!

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 8/29/2003 11:00:10 PM]
Old 01 September 2003, 07:25 AM
MrFlibble
Scooby Regular

Smile

As I recall, air con was not a factory fit option with the VR6, so I doubt that you'll find many with it. Mine had a dealer fit aircon and I guess this could be retrofitted (if they're still available) should you buy one without.
The only downsides to this car are a degree of torque steer (most noticable when overtaking on less than flat roads), a degree of 'float' over crests and an interior that rattled a bit more than a Golf.
Other than that, it's a fast, understated and highly competent all-rounder.
Old 02 September 2003, 09:02 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Never driven either, but from an "outsider's" point of view, I would suggest the 306.

Maybe this is a little shallow, but the Corrado looks kind of old and boxy now. Furthermore, its image tends to be a little suspect - most of the ones I see have neons, 99" chrome wheels and 65MW stero blasting. It also seems that baseball caps come as standard, and must be worn backwards.

The interior is looking dated too, and the parts are supposed to be silly prices.

One thing is for sure, however, it is built solidly.

Always loved the 306 GTI-6.
Old 05 September 2003, 04:29 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

That ain't no Pug at no. 18

Coolest cars
Old 05 September 2003, 05:16 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but I never thought the Smart was the third coolest car in the world...
Old 08 September 2003, 02:43 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

I too had a gti-6 before the scoob and still miss certain aspects of it but I have never driven a vr6 so cant make a direct comparison (hello GraemeS)

Quick Reply: 306 GTI-6 or Corrado VR6