Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressed - Should have done this ages ago!

Search this Thread

Old 29 February 2008, 05:48 PM
GaryCee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressed - Should have done this ages ago!

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum (I said hello the other night).

I am also new to Subaru's and got my first one on monday. It's a 1997 Jap Import Impreza WRX STI 2.0 Turbo with 72k on it and it's the estate version. It's absolutely mint and has had one previous owner and apparently is one of the last of it's kind (for the year) in the UK. The guy who sold me it is a Subaru mechanic and has said that he will sort out anything I need in the future but as it is, the car is absolutely spotless.....and quick!

So, over the years, I've always been into Pugs and my last car was a heavily modified GTI-6. I thought that thing was quick (it was near on 200bhp) but this Impreza is in a different league. I am mega impressed with the take off speed and the way it picks up even more through the gears...

I'm not a petrol head as a rule and I am self employed so most of the time I am driving my van around but I always wanted an Impreza and got this as it was such a bargain. It will sit in the garage and come out to play when I get time. It's silver with gold alloys...I wasn't that keen on them when I saw the pictures of it at first but in the flesh they are really nice and suit the car well, they are also in spotless condition (see how long that lasts).

One of the things I wondered was this ;
When I had my GTI-6, a lot of Pug lovers always took the mick out of the XSI's etc with 5 doors etc etc...
What's the score on Impreza estates?
Am I likely to get grief from you lot on here for having one? Haha

Lastly, I am told that my car is just short of 300bhp. That doesn't mean much to me to be honest as I don't go mad when I drive but it's good to know I have the power there if I need it. My mate went out in it with me this morning and said that it's a "Wolf in sheeps clothing..."

So (apologies for the long post), the car is awesome, I am well impressed and should have done this years ago. I look forward to getting tips etc from everyone and enjoying my stay here on Scooby Net.

Thanks
Gary
Old 29 February 2008, 05:53 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Nothing at all wrong with wagons mate.
Welcome to the club!
Old 29 February 2008, 06:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wagons are faster on the twisties due to much better weight distribution.
Old 29 February 2008, 06:09 PM
GaryCee
Scooby Regular

Something I don't understand (like I said, I am totally new to Scoobs) is... I thought that WRX's and STI's were seperate models. This apparently is a WRX STI so I don't get it?

Can someone give me a history or run down please?

What was the standard BHP on these?
0-60 times etc

The guy who owned it said that it's something like 4.8sec or something?
Old 29 February 2008, 06:14 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

You wont get any stick from fellow subaru owners for owning a wagon mate, they are every bit as good as the saloon, people who don't know anything about subaru's get a bit of a shock when a wagon leaves them standing, they will out accelerate most so called sports cars with ease which will put a smile on your face every time you drive it.
Old 29 February 2008, 06:23 PM
GaryCee
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that mate. It's funny ya know, I've had it since monday and every time I get in it, it's a thrill. It's almost like I am looking at all of the other cars and thinking..."easy....".

Liike I said, I am a bit of a 'granny driver' as I had a close call a couple of years ago in my GTI-6 when my bonnet flew up in the fast lane on the M25 (and I was going for it). That has made me wary but what I like about this is the fact that the power is there if you need it and the low end grunt of the thing sounds lush. I took it out today and had an Audi TT sat next to me at the traffic lights, I didn't do anything and let her get on with it and then saw some dude in an R32 giving me the 'come on then..' stare at another set.

Once I am fully used to the car then it may be a different story but at the moment I am loving it. I am 40 next week yet I feel like I'm 21 again in this thing!
Old 29 February 2008, 08:29 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

My first 2 scooby's were wagons, a late classic, and a bugeye. I loved the look of the kev's when they got blasted by an "estate". Especially funny when a major chav Pug DIESEL (306??? maybe) with dodgy home-made fibreglass bodykit, sneaked past me on the approach to a roundabout in sunny France, I absolutely pi$$ed past him on the exit, and as I was on the same side as the driver, I could see the dinner plate eyes and slack jaw....Even funnier cos the wagon was well loaded with the end of holiday packing and shopping. I did notice a difference to my back end handling (oooeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr missus) when I moved to a saloon.
Old 29 February 2008, 08:39 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary hmm your name sounds very familiar, ive done the rounds of the usual pug forums, and still hang about but not so much nowadays, after trying several scooby forums ive settled on sn as it gives me what i need in a forum.

You will find the scooby far more reliable than any pug you have ever owned, just let her warm up/cool down properly and treat her to some vpower and you'll have a great car for years to come.

The modding bug will bite harder on the subaru than it did with any pug ive had, there's so many options.
Old 29 February 2008, 08:46 PM
danfranklin1
Scooby Regular

Welcome... get some pics posted. When I was looking for mine I actually wanted a Classic wagon, not a saloon, as I actually prefer the way they look. But there didn't seem to be many about when I was buying.
Old 01 March 2008, 03:07 AM
GaryCee
Scooby Regular

I'll take some proper pics over the weekend guys. Yes, Hux..I recognise your name too (were you Huxley or something on the Pug forums?)...anyway, I can see what you mean. I already want to get rid of the horrible orange indicators and replace them with clear ones but in reality, it's spot on the way it is. As I said earlier, I wasn't that impressed with the gold alloys when I saw the pictures but they are absolutely mint. Looking at other pics that have been posted today, the car looks like it could be better looking with som different alloys but...well..I really don't want to go down that road again as it's never ending once you start modding.

I haven't got a full spec on the car. I know it has a full stainless steel exhaust with a huge pipe on the end and the grunt sounds lovely but not over the top loud. The seats and interior are all original STI and embroidered etc and in mint condition. I reckon I could actually make money if I sold this tomorrow without even touching it...it's that good.

It cost me £3550.
Old 01 March 2008, 07:17 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryCee
Something I don't understand (like I said, I am totally new to Scoobs) is... I thought that WRX's and STI's were seperate models. This apparently is a WRX STI so I don't get it?

Can someone give me a history or run down please?

What was the standard BHP on these?
0-60 times etc

The guy who owned it said that it's something like 4.8sec or something?
Ok this is all from my head so bear with me.
Models are something like

Impreza sport/gt
turbo 2000
wrx
wrx sti
wrx sti type r/ra
then you get the limited runs such as the p1/22b/rb5.

The turbo 2000 was the first uk subaru about 215ps
Early wrx's are imports and about 240ps
Wrx sti imports about 260/280 ps depending on year
The ra is the same power wise but less interior, acive diff and far shorter gearing.

Also click here for more help.

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / Specifications

Subaru FAQ: Read if you are a new Subaru owner! - Newbies & FAQs - NASIOC
Old 01 March 2008, 08:07 AM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

much respect to wagons, i would happy swap all the bits off my classic to go on a wagon of the same year colour etc
Old 01 March 2008, 09:42 AM
GaryCee
Scooby Regular

Hux, I remember when I spoke to the guy he said that he has spent loads on it since he got it. There's a huge pile of receipts etc that I haven't had a look through yet. He is a mechanic and looked after it like it was his pride and joy and I know he was gutted to get rid of it but his missus has recently had a little 'un. He works with my nephew and said that when it comes to services and M.O.T.s etc...or if I want anything doing to it, he'll gladly sort it all out.

As far as I know, the changes it has had are the exhaust system and the gear box (it has a very tight and small gear change). Oh, he's also put a strut brace in the back too.
Old 01 March 2008, 10:05 AM
lovinmescoob
Scooby Regular

Welcome Gary, Enjoy the Wagon mate, had mine from new MY55 PPP and everytime I get in it makes me smile. Look after her!!!!