Vectra, Mondeo or Octavia??

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2006, 11:51 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vectra, Mondeo or Octavia??

Hi guys, appologies for posting yet another thread about what car to buy next...

I fancied an SUV, but have been put off by the economy and lack of performance.

So, aside from loads of other things, the next car must be at least similar in performance to the Fabia vRS (wife's words, not mine...), and be reasonably economical.

So, I think I've narrowed it down to the three above. The 150ps Mondeo and Vectra V6 would both be Diesels, the Octavia would have to be the vRS (I know that 40mpg is possible cos I test drove one).

Other criteria is: A/C, big boot for a pram and generally baby friendly, heated seats, leather,cruise etc

Anyone know how they all compare? Which has the biggest boot? Nicest drive? Any of them come with parking sensors? (This will be the wife's daily driver after all ).

The other consideration is getting one of them remapped, then considering getting rid of the Scoob. Which is the most likely to get me to sell the Subaru?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Jamesemt; 21 June 2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 22 June 2006, 09:35 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven a 1.8 Petrol & 2.2 TDCI Mondeo, and extensively an old shape vRS.

The Mondeo is quieter and has a slightly better ride, sharper steering and smoother brakes as well as more rear legroom. The vRS has a nice shove of torque though.

If you have the option of the new vRS I suspect that it will be the best choice - probably more refined and the new engine shared with the Golf GTI is ace.
Old 22 June 2006, 09:35 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

It won't get you to sell the scoob, but the Octavia will tick all the boxes and then some in Laurin & Klement trim. Everything you have mentioned is standard on the L&K (leather, heated seats, parking sensors F&R, dual climate etc), and with the 2.0 TDi engine is as quick as the Fabia vRS. Two standard versions I know of have been dyno'd at 161hp, with no modifications, taking the usual license of dyno readings that still a strong result. Boot is huge, at least as big as the other two, and you'll get a stronger trade-in with the Fabia.
Old 22 June 2006, 10:14 AM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

yea the newer TDI octys are good and having a MK1 octy vRS id tell you to go for the vRS but then thats just me
Old 22 June 2006, 10:18 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If you offered me a choice of those three, I would definitely go for the Octavia and get it remapped/chipped.
Old 22 June 2006, 10:19 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

None of them, Honda Accord 2.4 Type S or the 2.2 CDTi
Old 22 June 2006, 10:37 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Had a spin in top of the range Mondeo Estate diesel.Lovely inside and a nice car but I really didn't think it had any go.

Not been near a Vauxhall dealer in years although some of the models like the SRi look quite nice.

I'm predjudiced as an Octavia vRS (Mk 1) and Fabia vRS owner (wife) but the new Octavia vRS is a must
Old 22 June 2006, 10:40 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I've got a 2.2 Vectra SRi at the moment, and its no Scoob, but its a very comfortable car and i enjoy driving it.
Old 22 June 2006, 01:50 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The Vectra is a 6 cylinder diesel, the rest are 4 pots. One is a lot smoother than the others...

A colleague has the v6 twin turbo diesel vectra and loves it. It still gives over 40mpg, goes well, and best of all cost about 12k for one about a year old IIRC. Whatever you do, don't think of buying one new!
Old 22 June 2006, 07:45 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Am looking for similar for wife also. Can I do a quick hijack and ask which makes the best auto?
Old 22 June 2006, 08:55 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Not driven the V6 Diesel Vectra but I've heard the economy isn't great and the 4 pot diesels I've driven have not been upto much unless you just want a comfortable mile muncher.

I've owned both the Octy and Mondeo.
There isn't much difference in boot size between the cars but the Octavia's is slightly bigger. The Mondeo's boot is only slightly smaller but there is far more legroom in the back. A full size spare robs the Mondeo of three inches of boot depth.
The Mondeo drives better than the Octavia, has better handling, a more composed ride and far better steering feel, although the new Octavia is a massive improvement on the old one. The 2.2 TDCi 155PS Mondeo has nearly 300lbft of torque and feels very muscular when you get used to the narrow diesel power band. The Mondeo's 6 speed box is OK but it doesn't like to be rushed on down changes, the VAG box is better.
The interior build quality and materials in the Mondeo (Post 2003 facelift) are better than the new Octy IMO and certainly way better than the old Octy's hard black plastic interior.

If you want full leather you will have to go for the GhiaX Mondeo, the seats are also electric with heaters and climate controlled ventilation. You'll get cruise, climate, autodim rear view mirror, auto headlights, auto wipers, power fold mirrors with puddle lights, superb Sony 6CD audio system, electric everything and a heated front screen.

Buy a nearly new example for a supermarket and save yourself £8k-£10k on list.

Cheers
Lee
Old 22 June 2006, 08:59 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Am looking for similar for wife also. Can I do a quick hijack and ask which makes the best auto?
If you are looking at Auto Diesels then forget the Mondeo.

The auto was only available with the old Euro3 engine and is no longer available. It had reliabilty problems and robs the car of around 10mpg.
Ford use the same 5 speed Jatco auto as some VAG cars, it's also fiited in the Freelander, some jap cars, X type Jag and the Rover75/MGZT.

Cheers
Lee
Old 22 June 2006, 09:09 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

SKODA
Old 22 June 2006, 09:29 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

what to scrap? Yeah all 3 if you ask me
Old 22 June 2006, 09:36 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Originally Posted by GaryK
what to scrap? Yeah all 3 if you ask me
Grow up
Old 22 June 2006, 10:21 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

OK serious answer, vectra hmmm vauxhalls have got better, the new astra is great car. I *love* the look of the new mondeos they just seem to get better better. The skoda, ok maybe me but no way could I overcome the badge, sorry but others will probably feel different but I could never ever buy a skoda even though I know their rally pedigree is second to none. Out of the three the mondeo by a nose.
Old 22 June 2006, 11:44 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Passat - New Shape??

Have a 2.0tdi 140 PS and other than the cooling fans failing which has been identified as a common fault which I was told is going to be recalled once they have a handle on batch numbers the car is great.

Handling is adequate, not quite mondeo sharp but not far off. Where the passat shines is comfort, lack of road noise and generally just being a nice place to be.

Only down side is oil consumption which is a bit scary!! 20,000 miles in 6 months and 5 litres of castrols finest slx111!

Engine is superb other than the oil consumption, pulls like a train - loads of torque and very quite when cruising with little or no intrusion to the cabin.

Service intervals every 20,000 miles.

SE spec is pretty good, sport nice and SEL spec superb. You can pick up a late 2005 55 plate SE Estate with 4,000 miles for circa £17,000, saloons about £1,000 cheaper.

Other than the passat I would also recommend the mondeo as I had one for 18 months and I have to say it also was a good car. Build quality not quite as good as the passat and a little more road noise when cruising on the motorway.

Only fault with the mondeo was an EGR valve during the time I owned it and 60,000 miles - pretty good really. Handling is spot on. Sorry engine was a 2.0 TDCI 130 bhp.

Can't comment on the vectra or Octavia other than to say a neighbour has a new shape TDI octi and loves it.

Just my experience / opinions for what they are worth.

GB
Old 22 June 2006, 11:50 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

I have owned a 2.5 V6 SRi petrol for 4 years... and it is a very smooth car which I have loved driving - it's comfortable, very reliable, has enough acceleration for little me, and was just a nice car.

Not sure about the new shape version though..

It's up for sale now though as I have a new car
Old 23 June 2006, 09:57 AM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

come on stick with the skoda camp you know it makes sence :P
Old 23 June 2006, 10:03 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Octavia - its a no brainer.

Smarting looking, best built, best residuals (by a far margin I would think), best image, best reliability etc.
Old 23 June 2006, 11:58 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Octavia - its a no brainer.

Smarting looking, best built, best residuals (by a far margin I would think), best image, best reliability etc.
Pete,

Early this year I sold my Octavia and was torn between the new Octavia or Mondeo, I agree with most of the above but residuals are a lot closer than you think if you take discounts and nearly new cars into account. Nearly new Octy L&K 2.0 TDi's go for £16-17k but you can pick the same spec Mondeo up for £12-£14k, the Mondeo is cheaper to buy and over three years will loose less money as the big hit has already been taken.
The old Octy had really poor rear legroom, about the same as my Dads Fiesta, the new one is better but it's small family car (Golf sized) interior still shows through. The Mondeo has far more interior space.
The new Octavia is a lot better drive than the old one but the Mondeo is still sharper and more composed with far better steering feel.

Cheers
Lee