Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

964 C4

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2006, 05:23 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 C4

Insanity, that's one way of looking at it, however there's a method in my madness.

The M coupe I was looking at has fallen through, this has left me looking around for a subsitute.

I had a 993 for a blissfull year but can't justify spending over 25K on another much though I'd love to.

This has left me looking at 964 C4 Coupes which seem to be in the 15-20K price bracket. I'm told the oil leak problems they are famed for are nothing but a myth.

What I'm looking for here, I guess, is former owners to tell me why I shouldn't spunk my pocket money up the wall on one of these air cooled beauties.
Old 12 June 2006, 05:27 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

one of my mates has one -it looks superb i am really tempted to buy one as it drives and looks spot on
martin
Old 12 June 2006, 05:29 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I found this: http://www.porsche964.co.uk/
Originally Posted by Adrian Streather of Switzerland

Myths and Legends

As with any automobile model the 964 has its fair share of myths and legends. Ask many alleged experts and they will you that the 964 is riddled with faults and is expensive to maintain. This is simply not true. There were only a few problems (far less than many other automobiles then and now) which were quickly rectified by Porsche which affected the 964 series.

Engine Oil Leak
In fact this was an acknowledged design flaw by Porsche. The cylinder heads were mounted without a head gasket. Unfortunately the engine ran a little hotter than predicted and this caused a slight warp at the base of the cylinder head and oil would weep out. This problem was rectified by the installation of a head gasket during the engine production of model year 1991. A fix was also approved for the earlier engines. The main problem is that the owners of the time did not have this fix carried out. Some of the 964s now weep oil. The problem is fixable. A caveat has to be added as well regarding oil leaks. This introduction is being written in 2003 about engine produced from 1988 to 1993. The Porsche engine is an internal combustion engine and is dry sumped. All internal combustion engines develop oil leaks with age. Not with mileage but with age. Gaskets and seals eventually fail. The less the engine is used the more likely they will fail in a shorter calendar time. This is not a model or 964 problem this is just reality.

Double Mass Flywheel
The second most discussed problem is the double mass flywheel problem. This problem does not affect the following models;

1989 Carrera 4
1991 Turbo
1992 Carrera RS
1992 Carrera Cup
1992 Carrera 2 versions fitted with LUK DMF
1992 Carrera 4 versions fitted with new secondary flywheel mass
1993 All models
1994 All models

The DMF was introduced in model year 1990 to meet stringent new internal noise level regulations. The DMF consists of two flywheels mounted together with the starter ring sandwiched between the two masses. The problem was with the early DMFs was that one mass would move too far. This made the assembly make strange noises. A very distinctive “clunk” sound could be heard along with vibrations in the transmission. If the problem was not rectified gear changing problems would occur and the myth of clutch reliability arose. This is dealt with later. Porsche quickly came up with fixes for these problems. For the Carrera 4 a new secondary flywheel mass (the turbo version) was used and for the Carrera 2 an alternative supplier was found for the DMF. LUK was the name of the new supplier. Porsche 356 owners will be familiar with the name LUK.

Once the early DMFs are all replaced this problem will disappear forever.

Dual Ignition System
The last problem related to the dual ignition system of the normally aspirated 964 M64 series engines. The turbo charged engines only use a single distributor system. The second or secondary distributor drive is a belt drive from the engine driven primary distributor. This belt is made from synthetic rubber and it failed quickly under the effect of Ozone created by the spark inside the distributor caps. Porsche fixed this problem quickly as well. A vent kit was introduced to remove the ozone from the assembly. It is a simple modification it works yet many 964s even in 2003 do not have this vent kit installed. However please remember that even with the vent kit installed the belt will still age and eventually fail. It is no different to a rubber cam or timing belt used on other Porsches. Rubber belts should be replaced every 100, 000 km (60, 000 miles) or every 5 years whichever comes first. In a very worst situation a broken secondary drive belt can cause expensive damage to the engine.

Clutch
The clutch plate used by Porsche in the 1989 Carrera 4s only was rubber centred. When the double mass flywheel was introduced there was no further need for a damped clutch plate because the DMF was now the damper. The clutch plate used in conjunction with a DMF is known as a solid centre clutch plate. It has no springs or any other damper device installed. The only thing that can wear out is the lining and this is a consumable or expendable product that eventually wears out. The life of the clutch is highly dependent upon the drivers foot co-ordination and how fast the clutch is let out. A failed DMF can accelerate clutch plate wear.

Rear Blower Fan Resistor
Ensure the rear blower fan ballast resistor (speed limiting device) is replaced with the newer version which contains overheat protection. If the new ballast resistor is not installed there is a risk of an engine bay fire if there is a specific sequence of events that occur. Engine turned off whilst very hot and the air temperature in the rear blower fan plumbing is above 95C. Fan bearings failed and rear blower motor is seized. A very rare but easily avoidable potential problem. Inspecting of this resistor should be part of any pre-purchase inspection.

Summary
All Porsches can be expensive to maintain simply because parts costs are generally higher than your average automobile. Labour costs are higher due to access issues especially in and around the engine bay. The 964 is a true sports car, a Porsche and maintenance costs are higher. The 964 is a high performance car and reliability is always going to be less as compared to a daily plodder. The 964 likes being driven so drive it often. Lack of use can be more damaging than too much.

My own personal Carrera 4, a 1989 model has never broken down and left me stranded. Yes it has had the odd failure but never one that made it undriveable. The 964 in the Porsche world represents excellent value for money, is extremely powerful and a lot of fun to own and drive.
Old 12 June 2006, 05:34 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Rabid
What I'm looking for here, I guess, is former owners to tell me why I shouldn't spunk my pocket money up the wall on one of these air cooled beauties.
Because 911s are common as pigeon ****?
Old 13 June 2006, 12:00 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

You mean as 'common as stinking chavs driving bugeye's?'

Not a good enough reason- I plan to buy a mint green example neatly side stepping issues of banality.
Yes, but walking straight into the issue of "****"

Nice cars, not that fast. 993 (as you will know) a much, much better car.
Old 13 June 2006, 01:15 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Diablo
Yes, but walking straight into the issue of "****"

Nice cars, not that fast. 993 (as you will know) a much, much better car.
Being a '****' isn't really a problem for me....................anyhow mint green with black alloys looks the dogs bollox as far as I can see

The 993 looks better and is supposed to be cheaper to maintain ( I spent a grand on mine in the 8 months I had it and more work was looming) I just don't see them as worth 10 grand more when you consider how similar to drive the 964 is.
Old 13 June 2006, 01:41 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

What about the C2 instead?
Old 13 June 2006, 01:42 PM
teepee
Scooby Newbie

my brother had a 964C4 and loved it, BUT the 4 wheel drive system made it wierd to drive. He tried my old 1982 930 turbo and loved that. IF you have to have a 964 then I would go the C2 route, but of course the 993 is by far the better car, but you've been there already. How about a nice late 930 turbo? I personaly don't find the 964 in any guise attractive (for a Porsche that is - obvioulsy compared to all Subarus they are all in the supermodel class (except the Cayenne but that's another story)) - 964's look too podgy!!! There, I think I've managed to upset everyone now.
Old 13 June 2006, 02:12 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Some good points there teepee, I rather like the thin hipped squashed beetle looks of the 964 altough it's not a patch on a 993 aesthetically.

The 4 wheel drive appeals to me as I'm going to be driving in snowy conditions for at least some of the year and a set of winter tyres on a C4S should do the job quite nicely, certainly better (cheaper) than my other option of a C2 and a Panda 4x4 sat waiting for use in the snow.
Old 13 June 2006, 03:11 PM
teepee
Scooby Newbie

the panda and C2 sound just right - imagine practicing all those 4 wheel drifts in the panda......not really possible in the porky as it keeps snapping from 2 to 4 to 2 wheel drive. PLUS, when summer comes the porky will feel really fast. porsche have made their name making rear engined 2 wheel drive sports cars, so keep away from the 4 wheel stuff. Hell imprezas are soo cheap these days, why not have an ancient one for winter use, then bring out the porkster for summer use?
Old 13 June 2006, 03:56 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by teepee
the panda and C2 sound just right - imagine practicing all those 4 wheel drifts in the panda......not really possible in the porky as it keeps snapping from 2 to 4 to 2 wheel drive. PLUS, when summer comes the porky will feel really fast. porsche have made their name making rear engined 2 wheel drive sports cars, so keep away from the 4 wheel stuff. Hell imprezas are soo cheap these days, why not have an ancient one for winter use, then bring out the porkster for summer use?
That's a good idea, I've owned a 'classic' before and a £2.5K banger on a n or m plate is appealing but the problem is justifying the cost of 2 insurance policies, 2 lots of road tax and the other costs of running 2 cars. What I need is a bit of an all rounder, thus the idea of a C4.

When I was looking at an M coupe I thought to hell with it and run 2 cars, maybe the C4 will allow me to run just one- I wonder.
Old 13 June 2006, 05:05 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

You should really look at the rennlist.com forum. Some real quality inofrmation on there that will answer all your questions.
Old 14 June 2006, 04:30 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

just my 2 pennies - Had a 964 C4 myself, and it lasted 2 weeks. Loverly looking motor but...................

I found it very hard to drive and heavy to drive even with the improved b/box that came in these. It didn't feel very quick and felt even a standard UK scoob would beat it. Probably not after 120mph but how often do you get chance to do break neck speeds.

IMHO you buy one of these cars for the badge not the driving experience. The driving experience was very dissapoininting, and after buying it I sold it 2 weeks later. Mind due sold it for the same price I brought it and had a cue of people interested.

I am not a pro Scoob guy either, and have owned lots of types of car, current one being a VX220 turbo. I found the M3 EVO to be a much more involving drive and quicker than the 964. And I found the M3 Evo to be a bit lathargic compared to most jap cars.

If you want a fast car and a car that feels fast don't get a 964. If you want a car thats moderatly quick, has a nice badge and turns heads. Then go for it.

If you original quest for a M3 Coupe I would personally stick to your guns, and go for the beemer.
Old 14 June 2006, 04:47 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Thats interesting Rob, i've never driven a C4 but i do currently own a C2. Of all the fast cars i've had, i find the 964 the most satisfying drive of them all. Of course everyone looks for something different in a car but i wonder how much difference there is between the C4 and the C2. The C2 i have must be a good one as it's no slouch, 0-60 in 5 secs with a great delivery of torque.
Old 14 June 2006, 07:46 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by RobEvo5
just my 2 pennies - Had a 964 C4 myself, and it lasted 2 weeks. Loverly looking motor but...................

I found it very hard to drive and heavy to drive even with the improved b/box that came in these. It didn't feel very quick and felt even a standard UK scoob would beat it. Probably not after 120mph but how often do you get chance to do break neck speeds.

IMHO you buy one of these cars for the badge not the driving experience. The driving experience was very dissapoininting, and after buying it I sold it 2 weeks later. Mind due sold it for the same price I brought it and had a cue of people interested.

I am not a pro Scoob guy either, and have owned lots of types of car, current one being a VX220 turbo. I found the M3 EVO to be a much more involving drive and quicker than the 964. And I found the M3 Evo to be a bit lathargic compared to most jap cars.

If you want a fast car and a car that feels fast don't get a 964. If you want a car thats moderatly quick, has a nice badge and turns heads. Then go for it.

If you original quest for a M3 Coupe I would personally stick to your guns, and go for the beemer.
Thanks for that, I've driven the C4 and didn't find it heavy in comparison to my 993, although the clutch did require a fair amount of effort.
The badge is a draw but having owned one before the novelty value would be pretty low. The key attributes I see in the 964 are it's build quality and despite your comments the blend of speed and handling. Add to that ready demand and relatively low depreciation and it's a good rival to the M coupe.
I seriously doubt a 'classic' UK or a 'bloateye' would be faster than a C4, not off the mark and certainly not when rolling. The car I test drove with sports exhaust and induction modifications was seriously nippy for such an old girl.
Still nothing is set in stone yet and I have more cars to see. The problem is going to be making my mind up, I've come across yet another 2 choices, an RS2 or for a few more quid a LHD M5.
Old 14 June 2006, 07:54 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Nah, you don't want a Porsche.

How about an X5 instead?
Old 14 June 2006, 08:33 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not as nice looking as the others ...
Old 15 June 2006, 04:38 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

My comments about the X5 were nothing to do with the badge. Go and re-read them.
The Porsche marque is appealing to me because of it's years of motorsport involvment and the fact I've been and watched them win so many times.
Similar to the Subar brand then.......
Old 15 June 2006, 09:45 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I love the looks of the 964, it's a car I have thought about buying many times, but for me it has to be a c2 or turbo. Still never driven one though...