Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Range Rover Sport 2.7 V6 TD

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2006, 08:11 AM
zilch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Range Rover Sport 2.7 V6 TD

Test drove one on saturday and was rather pleasantly surprised on how smooth the oil burner was Anyone else had any such pleasantries lately

Any feedback welcome of the constructive kind, but i am seriously thinking of trading in the 2.5 XT to get one

Cheers

Jim
Old 13 March 2006, 08:23 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Uses the 2.7 V6 twin-turbo Jag diesel engine doesnt it? Meant to be one of the best diesels about at the moment, so bound to be good.

I cant imagine the performance or MPG being amazing however, seeing as the Range Rover Sport is seriously heavy.

Lovely cars however, most deseriable SUV on the road probably.
Old 13 March 2006, 08:30 AM
zilch
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Petem95
Uses the 2.7 V6 twin-turbo Jag diesel engine doesnt it?
Pete, most certainly does

I cant imagine the performance or MPG being amazing however, seeing as the Range Rover Sport is seriously heavy.
I believe it can get 24 mpg on a flat motorway, with a tail wind

Lovely cars however, most deseriable SUV on the road probably.
I would have to agree
Old 13 March 2006, 08:55 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Its only a single turbo in this application im afraid. Still good though.
Old 13 March 2006, 08:57 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

All the landrovers etc have a single turbo as opposed to the twin turbo found in the s type. Probably due to the requirements for offroaders to work at bizarre angles and less than normal conditions etc.
Old 13 March 2006, 09:32 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I never never been in a sport - but Land Rovers aren’t in my good books at the moment.

This weekend I went to the Land Rover dealer with my folks MY04 4.4 RR Vogue as I had 'inactive suspension'. I was loaned a Disco 2 ? V6 TDI manual, which I assume is the same 2.7 engine. The car was unbelievably slow - to the extent that it was dangerous. Once moving it was quite and smooth. But with fly by wire technology and however they set up the turbo it meant you needed a hell of a gap to pull out. I imagine auto would be a lot better though.

So I did about 30 miles in the 3 hours I had the 900 mile 55 reg disco, and in that time an array of warning lights came on suggestion I had inactive things................

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...5_191_full.jpg

So I returned the car, picked up the range rover and drove it 5 miles home. I parked it up and didn’t use it until this morning. When I started it up it said “STOP ENGINE !!! Low oil pressure”. So I went to turn the engine off when it shouted at me again “WARNING! HDC inactive” then that went off, and all was well. So better to be safe than sorry I headed back to the dealers 5 miles away. Sadly they had no time do do anything with it today, but I could leave it with them however they had no load cars. I explained that I needed it for an airport run at 5am tomorrow, and I was told I could continue to drive the car – it will be fine. So with that I continued on my journey, unsure as to whether it will break down or not.

This is the risk you take with owning such a brand. Constant hassle and worry. Simply a word of warning, who knows this car might be better than the rest, but so far out of our Freelander / Discovery / x3 Range Rovers I would say it will follow suit.
Old 13 March 2006, 09:53 AM
zilch
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Andy M3

This is the risk you take with owning such a brand. Constant hassle and worry. Simply a word of warning, who knows this car might be better than the rest, but so far out of our Freelander / Discovery / x3 Range Rovers I would say it will follow suit.
Andy, hear what you are saying, i had similar problems with my UK Scoobs MY98 (brand new) for its 3rd year of life, recovered twice, limped to dealers numerous times and had to beg mates to get a lift home, inherent piston slap on one of the pots (oh sir it will be good for at least 100K miles ). My UK300 has been reasonably good once it had been sorted, yet for its first 8 months was constantly in the dealers due to compression loss, the scarey thing being they could never find it, just kept changing bits and dumped it back on me, apparently the dealer screwed up on the PPP install on the first service. Fingers crossed so far, no prob with the XT, accept for an ability to gulp lots of oil between services.

My wife has had a classic range rover 3.9, got rid of it due to thirst, a 300 series Discovery 2.5 TDI, never a problem, and a series 2 Disco TD5, still no probs.

Some cars have inherent problems and build quality issues, like early disco's and post classic 4.6 HSE RR (mate use to rebuild the engines), and sometimes you just get a pig in the poke (like my MY98 classic).

I will check out some of the forums/blogs on the wagon and see if any common traits are appearing, thanks for the note

Cheers

Jim
Old 13 March 2006, 12:08 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

Two Disco's,
300 TDI 97k and the last of the decent Discovery shape (54) never had a problem, mind the latest has only done 9k.....

My next will be the Range Rover Sport - Diesel - black with tints....

Awesome
Old 13 March 2006, 02:00 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

I love these things, Range Rover sport ! Saw a super charged one in Brighton over the weekend, with lovely chrome wheels, in black !!! If I win the lottery, Im going out and buying one of these straight away.

I need a test drive on one of these :-)

SBK
Old 13 March 2006, 02:38 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Sport doesn't have the BMW engine used in the Range then?
Old 13 March 2006, 02:53 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner
Nope, the sport uses the Discovery chassis so has the 2.7V6 TD from the Discovery.

Cheers
Lee
Old 13 March 2006, 03:15 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner
I imagine they will use the Jag engines eventually, but IIRC, they are using the Jag 'R' engine in the supercharged sport and regular Ranger rover, and the old BMW 4.4 for the n/a V8 model. The TD6 for the diesel at the moment.
Old 13 March 2006, 09:45 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

I know a guy with one and he's had it chipped. He says it does 0 - 60 in 9 seconds compaired to 14's before the chip.
Old 14 March 2006, 07:16 AM
zilch
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by logiclee
Nope, the sport uses the Discovery chassis so has the 2.7V6 TD from the Discovery.

Cheers
Lee
I thought it used the Jag engine, but only single turbo not the twin turbo variant ??

Cheers

Jim
Old 14 March 2006, 10:39 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by pnbond007

My next will be the Range Rover Sport - Diesel - black with tints....

Awesome
Oh come on...be original. Every Mother and Footballer has that

I am yet to see a bright red Range Rover Sport- would make a change from the sea of black and shades of grey

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 March 2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 14 March 2006, 10:43 AM
zilch
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Oh come on...be original. Every Mother and Footballer has that

I am yet to see a bright red Range Rover Sport- would make a change from the sea of black and shades of grey
hmm Rimini Red looks nice, but out here in sunny oz no dealers have the gumption to import one in case they cannot get rid, currently looking at the Zermatt Silver. Footballers, wives or mothers, no chance, not a BMW or Merc badge in sight
Old 14 March 2006, 10:55 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zilch
I thought it used the Jag engine, but only single turbo not the twin turbo variant ??

Cheers

Jim
Yes it does and so does the Discovery and the Peugeot 407 Coupe.
The 2.7V6 TD will be used across all Ford platforms and all the Peugeot group platforms.

The Range Rover Sport is basically a Discovery platform with Range Rover style body panels and a few more toys.

Cheers
Lee
Old 14 March 2006, 02:34 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
I explained that I needed it for an airport run at 5am tomorrow, and I was told I could continue to drive the car – it will be fine. So with that I continued on my journey, unsure as to whether it will break down or not.

GREAT NEWS !!!!!!! The car didn't break down

BUT, i got 30 minuets into the journey and the speakers packed up . This meant i didn't have the SAT NAV woman talking to me, and i obviously had no tunes . Once again another Land Rover lemon.

So i will book it in again.

Good luck with your choice