Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Astra VXR - Lets try this again please....

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2006, 03:54 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astra VXR - Lets try this again please....

I have read the previous postings on the BBS about the VXR - there is nothing in those that tell me anything useful about the car.

I am not interested in a pissing competion between the Vauxhall camp and the Subaru camp - in fact I dont want any comparison between Impreza's and astras.

A colleague is wanting to buy a new car and the VXR is on the shortlist. I am not commenting on any other marques on the shortlist other than to state that Impreza's and Evo's do not feature on it at all - hence no comparisons to such marques.

I want to know in standard guise;

how the car handles
how well it gets its power down, is it costing you a lot on front tyres?
What is it like to drive in traffic, on the open road, and through the twisties. What fuel economy is it returning, what do you get from a full tank, which fuel are you using?
How comfortable are the seats - particularly if you are about 6' 3 tall
What 'nice touches' have been added?
Do you think it was worth the price tag?
How expensive do you find it to service and how many miles you have racked up?
How do you rate it in practicality as an everyday drive?
On the standard wheel / tyre / springs package how do you find the ride?
In your experience what are the car's shortcomings?
How reliable have you found yours to be?

I am posting here to hopefully recieve a balanced and un-biased overview, something I would not get on a dedicated Vauxhall forum.

If you don't own it or haven't driven it, please don't bother to respond.

Thanks,
Tarmac Terror
Old 12 January 2006, 03:58 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Not sure you will get that answer on here though? I think the VXR owner did post his opinion early on in the other thread though, might be worth trawling and finding it, or sending him private mail?

Gary

Last edited by Gutmann pug; 12 January 2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12 January 2006, 04:16 PM
New_scooby_04

I am posting here to hopefully recieve a balanced and un-biased overview, something I would not get on a dedicated Vauxhall forum.

If you don't own it or haven't driven it, please don't bother to respond.

Thanks,
Tarmac Terror[/quote]

Based on a drive of a mate's:

how the car handles. Tidy, natural understeer when pushed, not much mobility in the tail unless you're very agressive. Doesn't feel particularly nimble though, more a car that rewards a smooth style than aggressive inputs.

How well it gets its power down. Well, considering FWD, obviously far less convincing on tighter bends on bigger power applications and when the road is wet/damp. Not too upset by bumps and dodgy cambers, though. Torque steer only really an issue if you're trying to be rough with it, which is doesn't like.

What is it like to drive in traffic, Fine, clutch light and sufficiently progressive, visibility good, low speed ride acceptable

on the open road, Good, refined and punchy engine, nice ride, much better than CTR for example.

and through the twisties. Predictable, safe, but not particularly exciting, unless your really trying at which point the composure suffers and its exciting for the wrong reasons! Engine is very good, but provides no sound effects- general lack in "the joy of extending it" for want of a better term.

What fuel economy is it returning, Friend says good mpg till you put your foot down....Duh! He wouldn't be pressed for figures. He uses SUL

How comfortable are the seats - I'm 6ft, good headroom, excellent seats, good lateral support, and comfortable.

I like the uniquely shaped tailpipes, yes sad I know.

Do you think it was worth the price tag? Yes.

How expensive do you find it to service and how many miles you have racked up? Can't answer that.

How do you rate it in practicality as an everyday drive?#

As you would a normal Astra, pretty much.

Good, over a range of surfaces, an order of magnitude better than the Type R

-Lack of character to match go
-notchy gearchange and awful gear ****
-lack of composure when pushed hard, or conditions are unfavourable.
-Steering numb around the centre
-

Can't say, but build quality seemed good.

How's that?

NS04
Old 12 January 2006, 04:25 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

You might get more feedback on a Vaxpoo forum. Just a guess though.
Old 12 January 2006, 04:26 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

NS04,

Possibly the most construtive post on Scoobynet this side of Christmas, (Scoobynet wives thread excluded ) thank you for taking the time to offer sensible useful comment .

Lets have more of the same....

TT
Old 12 January 2006, 04:28 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
NS04,

Possibly the most construtive post on Scoobynet this side of Christmas, (Scoobynet wives thread excluded ) thank you for taking the time to offer sensible useful comment .

Lets have more of the same....

TT
Pleasure, I think your mate would not be dissapointed.
Old 12 January 2006, 04:34 PM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

Tarmac terror
* the car handles great, really sharp turn in and if not enough feel throgh the wheel normally just press the sport button.
* acceleration is great, but none of the sudden surge you get in say an STi, this is smooth, and you really need to keep an eye on the speedo.
* Only had the car about a month so no tyre wear yet, Dont, think anybody will be able to tell you that yet.
* on a slippery road you can feel a little of the torque steer but nowhere near as mad as people are making out.
* Easy to drive everywhere, but it prefers not to be going slow, not really give it the full beans on the twisties yet as the roads where i live are covered by **** from tractors or ice at the minute.
* Got 280 miles from a tank of BP Ultimate,(prefer it to optimax, even in scoob it gave more smooth acceleration) But if you give it some, the fuel meter thing on the digital display can get down to as low as 9mpg
* Seats are great, really supportive (including your sholders) saw a review that said they cant be set low enough, but i'm 6'4 and have no trouble, but people with wide ***** have no chance.
* everything is nice about it, but my girlfriend does not like reversing it (rear window is very small and A,B and C pillars are quite thick.
* Defo worth the price, but i did get a saving £3k
*Services every 12 months or 20k price i dont know yet but Vauxhall usually pretty good
* Had a few vauxhall's as well as scoobies and found the Vauxhall's a lot more reliable, only time will tell
*I got the 19s with active dampers, most people i have spoke to opt for that and no bad reports yet. The ride is good, but on a real bumpy road you feel the bumps, (but that might be the 19's)
* If there are any shortcomings it would be the sound, but to tell you the truth my scoobies did not sound that great until i changed the back box, and plenty of people seem to be getting the miltek system either full of just the
back box. Also no temp guage, which should,nt be a problem for new owners, itsjust when their old it may be a problem.

Tell your mate to go and drive them all, (i suppose the others are the golf and the focus) in my opinion the VXR looks well better, and no question is the fastest.

Last edited by VXRBOY; 12 January 2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12 January 2006, 04:57 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

One important factor which I have ommitted was braking performance. Hopefully Vauxhall have not 'cut corners' when it comes to getting the speed off.

Would anyone care to offer comment on the performance, feel and effectiveness of the middle pedal.

Thanks again
TT
Old 12 January 2006, 05:03 PM
www.GT4oc.com
Scooby Regular

I havent got a VXR, but I have the Sport Hatch SRi with all the extras. Its the 150bhp 232LB/FT Turbo diesel one and in sport mode its quick enough to embarass a lot of supposedly faster cars

Good cars, handle well for a VX, only complaint is the seating... I am 6ft3 and you feel like you are sitting on it rather than in it. No matter how you adjust the seat its too damn high!
Brakes are over engineered on mine so im guessing they are the same as the VXR. It stops better than my GT-Four!

Sport Hatches are Still relatively rare on the roads so get plenty of looks
Old 12 January 2006, 07:18 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I am not sure that i can answer all those questions! When i said i had driven the car, i ment only about 250 yrds max!! but from that the seats are very very comfortable and suportive. Im 6ft4" and found that quite a lot of room for me. The steering wheel is padded leather and was very nice to touch.

The ride was firm, but felt less as firm as a stock vectra on 19". So i don't know whats that all about. Tried this on over speed bumps.

Loads of boot space and roomy rear for passengers.

Vauxhalls are very reliable now and have been in the past.

Don't get one on BLACK because they are a sod to clean. either get a blue or a red one.
Old 12 January 2006, 07:19 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Might be best to try a vauxhall related forum i.e. migweb (www.migweb.co.uk) for better answers.
Old 12 January 2006, 07:28 PM
ChungsterSTI
Scooby Regular

Chins (Jonathan) will give you some feedback. He's already done one over on Astra-SRI.co.uk

Think he likes the car quite a bit tho as he's even written in to EVO Mag to question their review of the VXR (his letter is printed in this months edition)

I thought about buying one myself...but after a couple of months thinking about it went for the Golf GTI instead.
Old 12 January 2006, 07:32 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by ChungsterSTI
Chins (Jonathan) will give you some feedback. He's already done one over on Astra-SRI.co.uk

Think he likes the car quite a bit tho as he's even written in to EVO Mag to question their review of the VXR (his letter is printed in this months edition)

I thought about buying one myself...but after a couple of months thinking about it went for the Golf GTI instead.
Better go buy a copy of EVO!!
Old 12 January 2006, 07:34 PM
ChungsterSTI
Scooby Regular

lol you telling me you've not seen it as a dedicated subscriber??
Old 12 January 2006, 11:20 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by ChungsterSTI
lol you telling me you've not seen it as a dedicated subscriber??
No, but read the mail I sent them and I hope they edited it as I my original emails makes me look like a molester of schoolgirls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Need to read them before I click the send button

Jonathan
Old 12 January 2006, 11:32 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

how the car handles

very well. Handling is personal though and what I like you might not. The Mini Cooper S IMHO is crap, but loads of people love it

how well it gets its power down, is it costing you a lot on front tyres?

my guess is that a 1.1's Metro will conserve its tyres better. Dont think it will eat them, but then again, you'll get a chance to try a few brands. It cant match a Scooby on putting the power down, but it is good. I like the challenge of driving the car quick and smooth. Anyone can be quick in a new GTI (my wife even), the VXR needs more skill

What is it like to drive in traffic, on the open road, and through the twisties.
It takes some time to get used to, bit very good on both counts

What fuel economy is it returning, what do you get from a full tank, which fuel are you using?
29.1 on a mix of super and unleaded

How comfortable are the seats - particularly if you are about 6' 3 tall
Very good, but go sit in one first. I dont have a lot of headroom 5'10, but a very upright driving position

the engine

Do you think it was worth the price tag?
paid under 18k for a car with Metalic, full leather recaros and the std 18's.

How expensive do you find it to service and how many miles you have racked up?
Too early

How do you rate it in practicality as an everyday drive?
Crap visabilty, big A pillars, needs parking sensors. Good everyday drive. Very smooth with practice and relaxing

As good as a Golf on 17's

the HGV gearknob and the fact that GM knows what it has and more people will be let in on the secret

Alarm has gone off twice. Nowt else

I am and will always love my Scoobies, the VXR is damn good though

Jonathan

Last edited by Chins; 12 January 2006 at 11:36 PM.
Old 13 January 2006, 08:28 AM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

The brakes are very good, but with 19's the rear discs do look a little small. Don't forget that the seats in the VXR are different than the other astra's as these recaro's were designed specifically for it.
I agree with scoo8ymad that the colour to go for is Blue or red, black not only is a bugger to clean, but it hides the lines of the car. Be careful also when looking at pictures of red ones, cos red can look crap on the road and some of the early pictures had it in (hot red ) which is a nicer colour and you can only get that on the VXR Monaro, Arden Blue is the only colour you can't get in the normal sport hatch so if your mate wants to set himself apart get blue.
Old 13 January 2006, 10:53 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

I find test drives are useful for assessing a cars capabilities......
Old 13 January 2006, 01:01 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Thats nice - however not the comments I was hoping for. A test drive will give no indication of what the car is like to live with day to day or what it is like on fuel etc. As you only get half an hour in an un-familiar car if you are lucky you dont really get to explore the car to its limits, the salesman is chattering away in your ear trying to push a sale and you barely get the car up to normal running temps before its time to return to the dealership.

I am not sure if VX are offering extended test drives on the VXR - but personally I dont rate the value of a normal test drive in a brand new car that highly.

TT