Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Merc S320 CDi

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2005, 10:16 AM
Boarder1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merc S320 CDi

My 'old man' has now decided he wants one of the current shape Mercs.

Does anyone know what spec to look for?? What is a must have on these cars??

Also any views and opinions of people who have driven one or owned one.

Thanks

Mark
Old 19 December 2005, 10:52 AM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't have thought that many people have driven the current shape???
Old 19 December 2005, 11:02 AM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

They are boring to drive and not as good as the eqivalent BMW's
Old 19 December 2005, 01:00 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

The s class is regarded as the best luxuary saloon and the 320 diesel is probably the best version to get. You have to make sure it has sat nav for a car in this category but dont pay more for it as in this category of car it is expected as standard. As many toys as possible is what people expect when they buy a car like this so make sure it at least has everything you could get in a lesser family car but should ideally have more. Obviously you mean the s class before the new one that is being released shortly ( or just has ). It will probably still have the older 3.2 litre diesel kicking out 204bhp, i think, and about 369lb/ft of torque so it still shifts. A guy in my work has one and he rates it very highly and says even for a big car he still gets good mpg. A lot of people prefer the BMW or A8 but it is commonly acknowledged that the s class is one of the best if not thee best. I personally prefer the A8 but thats just my choice.
Old 19 December 2005, 04:06 PM
Boarder1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the responses.

I am definitly trying to get a well spec'd model, just going to have a few test drives before the right one comes along.

Sgcooby - I do mean the version that is out now, before the new one is released.

Thanks
Old 19 December 2005, 05:03 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Air suspension is the main fault on these. Ends up with the **** on the floor and the nose in the air.

Luxurious but not sporting in any way, shape or form.
Old 19 December 2005, 05:20 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

I have this engine in the current shape E-Class. Pulls well, is fairly economical and can be chipped for more grunt if that's what you need. Build quality not as good as Mercs of old but I think that's symptomatic of how much more electrical gubbins they have in them these days!
Old 19 December 2005, 07:37 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

I've had three S320SCDI as courtsey cars, had one of them for a month while the S55 was off road :grrr:.

An old post on the MB board

"I timed the cars acceleration and got it to do a very impressive 0-60 7.8 secs and 0-100 in just under 19 secs, the car has 10k miles on. See vid."

http://media.putfile.com/S320CDIacceleration

"This car is not bad at all. I was astonished at the combination of performance and economy, got 35mpg over mixed driving into Manchester (non rush hour), even having a bit of hoon round the lanes I still got 27mpg, up and down to London 35.7 mpg . The car pulls well in gear, it is quite quiet once warmed up, quiet when pottling around and when cruising. Negative aspects of the engine were, start up noise, the noise under acceleration and the vibration at standstill, particularly through the brake pedal and wheel There also was a moment’s hesitation under hard acceleration as the gearbox changed down and the turbo spooled up.

Car was fitted with 18" AMG alloys, which gave the steering nice weight, they produced good grip and helped the cars handling, they did however allow a tiny bit of road imperfections to be felt and the odd little thump over big bumps, the ride was still about the best bar NONE, but the S430 I had on 16" wheels just floated along , although it's grip was noticeably less and the car understeered far more. The AMG wheels also were prone to terrible scuffing with no raised rim to protect them, all four were badly scored when the car arrived.

Overall I was quite impressed, although a petrol S350 may be a little quicker, quieter and smoother, it can't compete with the overall package when you look at the economic benefits. I don't think I would spec the car with the AMG alloys , the ride is a little compromised and although it handles well unless you spec the car with the ABC suspension package it's not that comfortable being pushed very hard to exploit the extra grip (but the wheels did look nice ) but even so it does cover the ground surprisingly quickly."

I've driven 730d, 745Li, 750 sport (and the B7 but its different ), the 7's have great steering compared to almost anything (not just large saloons), handling is good, good seats , roomy, great engine in the 730d and gearbox too, but ride is too firm even with the EDC package and the interior has some funny bits. The 7 is a little better in a number of areas as a sporting drivers car (biggest being the steering), but the S just works better as a package mostly its the ride and comfort but there is something more just about how they go about it.

Both great cars though, due to reliability problems I was put off mercs and tested A8, XJR, B7, 7, Cayenne desperate to replace the S55 with a non merc, but I still went back to another S they just do it best (except for reliability, get a warrenty)
Old 19 December 2005, 07:41 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rr_ww
Air suspension is the main fault on these. Ends up with the **** on the floor and the nose in the air.

Luxurious but not sporting in any way, shape or form.
hehe, me being unsporty in my old one (vid 5 mb)

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=A...igclipNOsmusic
Old 20 December 2005, 04:29 PM
Boarder1
Scooby Regular

Mmmmm, thanks for the excellent response.

I have a test drive booked tomorrow, so will see how that goes.

Is there any bits of spec that I should get for the car?

Thanks
Mark
Old 20 December 2005, 05:09 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

I personally prefer the Audi A8 which I own and drive. The Audi is more driver focussed has better interior costs significantly less nearly new and does not have everyone assume you are a chauffeur (its a bit of a London taxi).

If I was in the market again I would also consider the new Jag XJ8
Old 20 December 2005, 05:11 PM
scoobynewbie1
Scooby Regular

Make sure you get one with "Parktronic" as it was invaluable on my S320. It's a big car and has large blindspots.

Sat Nav was a good version too as long as you have an up-to-date disc, but new ones can be bought easily.

Heated seats are a must in my opinion.

Xenons headlamps are also good ones too.

hope this helps....
Old 20 December 2005, 08:45 PM
Boarder1
Scooby Regular

All info greatly appreciated, will ask about the parktronic tomorrow.

Thanks
Mark
Old 22 December 2005, 07:13 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

You are looking for an S320cdi - facelift model preferably (2003 onwards - square window switches on door panels - not rounded ones). Best options to have are COMAND (sat-nav/tv/dvd/telephone (lovely big widescreen on facelift model), keyless-go, heated electric (and optional orthapaedic) seats, parktronic. Look for a long wheelbase model if you have people travelling in the back regularly (the chassis number of a regular will start WDB2200 wheras a LWB starts WDB2201. There are other less valuable options. Choose the smaller wheel options if possible as the bigger AMG wheels tend to deflect over potholes.
As for handling, I service a rally car for someone in Scotland who drives one of these everyday, and he rants about the way it handles when the suspension is put on the harder settings.
The later the model you go for, the less warranty issues it will have (early suspension pumps are suspect, but later ones seem to be more reliable)
As for other cars to go for, people may suggest a 7 series BMW (nonsense) or a A8 (possibility), but just look at what is more popular on the road, and then look at the residuals, and you will see why a S320cdi is the most sensible option.