Audi A4 TDI Quatro

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2005, 08:06 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Audi A4 TDI Quatro

HI There,

I'm thinking of opting into my company car scheme - we're stuck with BMW or Audi. I was thinking of something like an A4 Quattro Diesel (yes we can only have the smelly stuff).

What they like handling wise in comparison to a std MY02 or MY99 - not that I have one now - I just thought I would keep my 996 for the weekends .

OR should I just self fund one of the last of the blob eye STi's

T.
Old 29 September 2005, 09:32 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

No comparison .... I've driven a 1.9 TDi quattro and the kindest thing you can say about it (or any VAG saloon really, a Passat's my daily driver) is the handling is "safe". Don't look for involvement or feedback.

FWIW if you wanted a diesel, go for a 2wd option, IMHO the quattro is slower, heavier and doesn't really deliver any benefits (unless you actually need 4wd).
Old 29 September 2005, 09:55 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Why don't you try the 330d?

They seem to get a pretty good write up.
Old 29 September 2005, 10:20 AM
Remster
Scooby Regular

I've just bought an '03 A4 Avant 1.9 TDi Sport and LOVE IT. The steering is over assisted and lacks overall feedback but with the lowered sport suspension and 17" wheels is planted on the road. There is very little body roll and the car corners flat.

Superb cars IMHO, 50+ Mpg, great looks, very well built, all the gizmos, great OEM stereo set-up and a very pleasant drive. I looked at BMW's and you don't get any more, probably less, for your money and the image problem to boot.

No brainer, AUDI all the way dude.
Old 29 September 2005, 06:27 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

If it's only going to be a 4 cylinder diesel then forget the Quattro. The two litre will spin the wheels in the wet but there is little handing benefit with the haldex AWD and it slows the car.

Cheers
Lee
Old 30 September 2005, 01:18 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

AFAIK all A4 have proper 50/50 torsen-diff quattro, not the haldex rubbish. So there should be a handling benefit, although I agree it doesn't really have the power to benefit from such a setup. I had the same thoughts when I looked into a 2.8 Audi - not really enough power to warrant quattro because of the weight penalty it brings (~200 Kg).
Old 30 September 2005, 07:19 AM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

I was thinking about the 3 litre - but the tax is simply awesome - so I think I'll go for the scoob out of my own pocket.

Cheers

T.
Old 30 September 2005, 06:00 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by logiclee
If it's only going to be a 4 cylinder diesel then forget the Quattro. The two litre will spin the wheels in the wet but there is little handing benefit with the haldex AWD and it slows the car.

Cheers
Lee
It's the A3s that use haldex due being based on the Mk.4 Golf. A4's use the torsen centre diff.
Old 30 September 2005, 06:22 PM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

Cheers
Lee
Just in case you missed it the other 2 times, the A4 is perminant 4wd.

Old 01 October 2005, 01:03 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slim_boy_fat
Just in case you missed it the other 2 times, the A4 is perminant 4wd.

OK then it has full time AWD.

Having driven three recent A4 2.0TDi's, two FWD and one 4X4, the only difference I noticed was the AWD version felt less urgent and used more fuel.
I've heard the 3.0V6 TDi is nice motor but not driven one. I get hire cars through work but the 3.0V6 TDi is above my usual allowance. I do get a few free upgrades though, especially if I talk nice to the girl on the desk.

Cheers
Lee
Old 01 October 2005, 01:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Bmw is the better driver's car option

But be different...get one that isn't silver or black

The A4 to me, drives like a rep mobile, which it is in sorts (just an expensive rep mobile ) nice, but bland. The only time the AWD is handy is if it snows - it doesn't do much for the handling what so ever (only traction - which is NOT handling)) it's just a waste of fuel and extra tax on your CO2 emissions

Last edited by ALi-B; 01 October 2005 at 01:32 PM. Reason: grip vs. traction issues ;)
Old 02 October 2005, 11:59 AM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

OK then it has full time AWD.

Having driven three recent A4 2.0TDi's, two FWD and one 4X4, the only difference I noticed was the AWD version felt less urgent and used more fuel.
What 4x4 did you drive? - The 2.0TDi is only currently available as FWD in the lastest A4 (B7). The only B7 Quattro currently available is the 3.0 V6 TDi.

In the pre-facelift (B6) there was a 1.9TDi Quattro and 2.5 V6 Quattro.

I have a 2.5 V6 Quattro Sport Avant (180bhp) and love it. Yes, it's true that the steering lacks feedback, and it is not the ultimate drivers car, but it is still quite quick and can keep up with most cars on country lanes.

Where I live out in the sticks the quattro is of benefit down single track lanes when muddy and raining, thr traction is much better, and in the handling is pretty good as the sports suspension is very firm bordering on hard. The Quattro also doesnt feel like a FWD car (which it isnt ) and you dont find the front wheels struggling for grip when pulling off, or suffer from torque steer.

I also am averaging 37-38mpg during normal driving with no long runs which I am more than happy with.

...and I wouldnt be seen dead in a BMW no matter how good it is
Old 02 October 2005, 01:21 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MarkWRX
What 4x4 did you drive? - The 2.0TDi is only currently available as FWD in the lastest A4 (B7). The only B7 Quattro currently available is the 3.0 V6 TDi.
Not sure then. Like I say I probably use four or five hire cars a month and everything is usually less than 18months old but the quattro may have been a PD130 then?
May explain why it felt less urgent but in the older FWD PD130's I would show close to 50mpg, the new 2.0's are about 5mpg less. The Quattro I had struggled to break 40mpg.
As they are hire cars I do give them a bit of stick when I can but most of the time my route is between our different sites, the route is 60mph busy A roads so little scope for ragging them.

Cheers
Lee
Old 03 October 2005, 04:44 PM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
The A4 to me, drives like a rep mobile, which it is in sorts (just an expensive rep mobile
Hmmm, as the 3 series outsells the Ford Mondeo now I guess it`s just an expensive rep-mobile too?
Old 03 October 2005, 04:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It is (especially in 316/318/320d guises). Just its better to drive

Point being, blindfolded me, then get me to drive a Vectra, Mondeo, NON-turbo Impreza(earplugs too ), Octavia, Passat A4 and then ask me which car was what. I would struggle to tell.

If they were diesels I may be able to tell teh VAG ones by their chracteristical urgency as they come onto boost but other than that I'd struggle to tell you which was the Audi.*

*this is all assuming I don't crash first, for not being able to see