Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New Ford Capri

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2005, 11:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Ford Capri

I remember a bit of excitement a while back about Ford reinventing the Capri, its all gone quiet, anybody know what happened to it ?
Old 22 September 2005, 08:41 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It'll be here alongside the Focus Cosworth and available the day the Titanic docks in New York
Old 22 September 2005, 01:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Alcazar
Old 23 September 2005, 11:36 PM
SupaMiniCupa
Scooby Regular

Wasn't that supposed to be the Puma? No, Cougar? No Probe?

Old 23 September 2005, 11:46 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

God knows, I am not sure if its just the usual car magazine bull$hit or whether its the Ford marketing machine on overdrive..........

I distinctly remember them discussing the new Ford Capri too, as far as I can see its total bollicks..........

TBH I don't understand Ford, the Puma for all its supposed girly looks was a great drivers car, so what do they do ? retire it off and don't replace it with anything but a 1.6/2.0 fookin Fiesta that won't **** in a fookin pot........which to me is just visiting numptyville and a half.........

I hope the Focus ST is the kinda car they say it is..........10 seconds faster round the Nuremburgring than the RS...............yes please!!

Aslong as it doesn't have a tendency to wanna jump into oncoming traffic like its older cousin...........
Old 24 September 2005, 08:27 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just seems a shame when every other company, including ford to some extent (Thunderbird, GT40) are plundering their back catalogues that we get the bloody hideous Beetle and VW manage to sell it but the Capri could be a stunner and stays as a concept ?

They have even started making the fabled 'Texan' bar again, everybody over 30 remembers them and will buy at least 1, I know a car is a bit more challenging to build than a choccy bar but nostalgia sells. I dont think anybody would have bought the new Beetle if it wasnt steeped in 1960's counter culture, surfer, acid trip, flower power, woodstock bollocks because it is just a very ugly impractical rebodied Golf, Mazda released something similarly hideous called the 121 and it bombed.

So, we have all these 30 - 70 year olds that had a Capri in their younger days or younger people that want a cheap cool coupe (how the first one worked) and Ford dont build it ?

Letter to Goodwin in Autocar I think.
Old 24 September 2005, 08:59 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Basically ford like to show concept cars that every one wants. New Capri, Focus Cosworth, Fiesta RS etc. They then give possible power outputs & drivetrain specs that make people want them even more. They then take some of these concept cars around to shows (like they did with the Fiesta RS) which make people want them even more than before. They then drop the idea. Well done Ford.

They dropped the Focus Cosworth, 4wd, 300bhp, as there is no market for it, apparently. Subaru and Mitsubushi then go ahead & sell shed loads of 4wd, high powered cars.
They dropped the Fiesta RS, as there was no market for it, apparently. Both Vauxhall and Renault are now developing 200bhp+ small hatchbacks (the Corsa VXR and new Clio sport) that will sell shed loads.

No wonder Ford are in the ****. All they seem to be bothered about are large MPV's, medium sized MPV's, and small MPV's. Oh yes, and the new Ka. If they looked at other maunfactures and see how by giving the public a high performance variant of a model, it bolsters sales of the lesser specced model, as the brand has a sporty image, rather than the dull one that Ford are trying so hard to create for themselves.

There, rant over !
Old 24 September 2005, 09:11 PM
Aaron C. Reskew
Scooby Regular

Location: I made Miss Ugly M Lardarse my Princess and we're having a baby!

Originally Posted by J4CKO

They have even started making the fabled 'Texan' bar again, everybody over 30 remembers them and will buy at least 1.
Have they? Cool
Old 24 September 2005, 09:20 PM
Stiff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I remember a bit of excitement a while back about Ford reinventing the Capri, its all gone quiet, anybody know what happened to it ?
Could it have been this?
http://msn.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?cache=no&ID=1813
Dunno what is says, I don't speak foriegn.