Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

S60 Vs XC70

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2005, 11:29 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default S60 Vs XC70

As you probably know, I have an XC70 diesel jobby.

It went into the garage today for a warranty item & they lent me a S60

Essentially an S60 is the same inside as the XC70 (well the versions I have) so that the colours and spec (other than the GSM/SatNav pack) are the same. All the same controls etc.

So the difference is the ride/handling sort.

S60 was an auto & I hate autos so we won't go there.

Handling, being a lower car, the basic handling was better - flatter through corners & less rolling etc.

However it was the ride that is the major difference. The extra travel in the XC's suspension makes for a much more comfortable ride over the distances and roads I have to travel. Plus the slight extra height makes for a better view all round.

I have to say that all in all, I was less tired or at least felt less that the journey was a long one in my car compared to the S60. Of course, you like the car you buy but I wouldn't get an S60 to commute in even though they are almost indistinguisable in terms of spec/seats/etc. The 2.0T was no more punchy than my trusty diesel although I daresay probably better on paper - but I think it lost out in midrange.

Just my observations.
Old 13 September 2005, 12:02 AM
davecweed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
As you probably know, I have an XC70 diesel jobby.

It went into the garage today for a warranty item & they lent me a S60

Essentially an S60 is the same inside as the XC70 (well the versions I have) so that the colours and spec (other than the GSM/SatNav pack) are the same. All the same controls etc.

So the difference is the ride/handling sort.

S60 was an auto & I hate autos so we won't go there.

Handling, being a lower car, the basic handling was better - flatter through corners & less rolling etc.

However it was the ride that is the major difference. The extra travel in the XC's suspension makes for a much more comfortable ride over the distances and roads I have to travel. Plus the slight extra height makes for a better view all round.

I have to say that all in all, I was less tired or at least felt less that the journey was a long one in my car compared to the S60. Of course, you like the car you buy but I wouldn't get an S60 to commute in even though they are almost indistinguisable in terms of spec/seats/etc. The 2.0T was no more punchy than my trusty diesel although I daresay probably better on paper - but I think it lost out in midrange.

Just my observations.
give the S60R a try, better seats than the standard s60, better ride with the 4c helping, unless you put into sport/advanced sport modes, then its a very hard, jaw breaking ride!

you have the d5?, new d5 coming out with 185bhp, and a whole bunch of torques!

dave
Old 13 September 2005, 07:05 AM
walkpau873
Scooby Regular

Hi

I have a V70R, and can honestly say its one of the best cars ive had. The 4c`s chassis work perfect, comfortable mode for shopping and advanced sports for chasing Scoobs

The seats in the R are very comfortable and extremely supportive, as good if not better than the wifes 7 series!

Glad to see other Volvo owners on SN!

Paul
Old 13 September 2005, 04:28 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Just comparing like for like as I haven't the 4C but I'm seeing if I can chop for an XC70 Euro IV with 4C

S60 is deffo more tiring to drive though but its not to do with the seats which I love, its the ride.
Old 13 September 2005, 05:08 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I really like Volvo's. I like the 850's most, although the new stuff is very impressive. As an engine, the D5 is excellent offering more power / litre than the early 330d BMW's and matching the later 330d's and more BHP / cylinder than the early BMW stuff, so all in all a superb engine, and will just drop into the 200 and something bhp with a remap - but sounds great with the 5 pots.

The S60R is on paper an excellent car - i have seen them go and they seem brisk and well poised, and a 2nd hand bargin. 300hp 3 years old and <£20k. BARGIN.

Another Volvo fan
Old 13 September 2005, 05:57 PM
davecweed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by walkpau873
Hi

I have a V70R, and can honestly say its one of the best cars ive had. The 4c`s chassis work perfect, comfortable mode for shopping and advanced sports for chasing Scoobs

The seats in the R are very comfortable and extremely supportive, as good if not better than the wifes 7 series!

Glad to see other Volvo owners on SN!

Paul
hi paul, good know there's some other New R owners out there, dont see very many of these cars about.

ive got a S60R, so far very pleased with it, good in the twistys compared to the older volvos!

dave
Old 23 September 2005, 05:09 AM
walkpau873
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davecweed
hi paul, good know there's some other New R owners out there, dont see very many of these cars about.

ive got a S60R, so far very pleased with it, good in the twistys compared to the older volvos!

dave
HI Dave

Yeah, love my V70R, its the dogs danglies! Does everything you want it to do and carries five people and dog in comfort!

Have you carried out any mods to yours yet? Quite interested in getting mine chipped.

Paul
Old 23 September 2005, 09:39 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Recently had a V70 for a short while, and was not impressed with the load bay AT ALL.
Couldn't swallow half as much as my E-Class Merc could....load bay is also VERY shallow and quite narrow.

I thought Volvo's were supposed to be load luggers??
As for the turning circle....dear oh dear

Aside from those two things, nice enough car inside. Just felt interior space (including rear seat room) was a bit tight for what is supposed to be a load lugger & family estate.