Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

AUDI A6 or BMW 5series

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2005, 01:15 PM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking AUDI A6 or BMW 5series

After a bit of advice, Im after a new family car so need something of this size, Im looking for a diesel car and dont want to spend anymore than 12k, Ive looked at the various different types on autotrader but theres quite a few different options so Im looking for anyone with any experience of either car.

Thanks
Old 09 September 2005, 01:25 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SeanT
After a bit of advice, Im after a new family car so need something of this size, Im looking for a diesel car and dont want to spend anymore than 12k, Ive looked at the various different types on autotrader but theres quite a few different options so Im looking for anyone with any experience of either car.

Thanks
I used to own an A6, lovely car, although a thirsty 2.8 quattro, very well built and reliable (mine had 147k on it) just not very involving but if its just for bobbing about and motorway work then who cares, i would imagine a 5 series to be a bit more involving!
Old 10 September 2005, 02:16 PM
ForesterBoy
Scooby Regular

The Audi's are fantastic and very under-rated IMO, but you just can't beat the last generation BMW 5 series as a used car purchase.

Just check out the accolades that have been heaped upon it year after year, best executive car, best car in the world etc. etc. And it's not without reason that they are now widely seen as the best used car you can buy.
Old 10 September 2005, 08:54 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Im considering a 530d or the A6 2.5 tdi (among others)
the 530d gets my vote but they're not cheap
Old 11 September 2005, 07:01 PM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

What sort of 530d would I be looking at for 12k??....dont want anything with loads of miles on it really, and lots of toys......

Originally Posted by LeeMac
Im considering a 530d or the A6 2.5 tdi (among others)
the 530d gets my vote but they're not cheap
Old 11 September 2005, 07:34 PM
Danrs6
Scooby Newbie

have a look for the BMW 530D its a very nice spec car
the audi is a nice car but it just cant stand up to the bmw being FWD
Old 11 September 2005, 08:45 PM
ForesterBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SeanT
What sort of 530d would I be looking at for 12k??....dont want anything with loads of miles on it really, and lots of toys......
I would imagine 12k will get you an OK 530d with not too high a mileage on it ?

In general I guess its just down to personal preference with the toys. Personally I would'nt buy one without leather, even if you're not bothered about it yourself. It will most likely be a lot harder to sell later on when the time comes with a cloth trim.

The toys seem to vary from car to car, you'll rarely see 2 absolutely identical ones while you're looking at cars to buy. I've got a '98 car and even on that there's park distance control, auto wipers, auto dimming mirrors, loads of air-bags, CD changer, electric leather and really loads and loads more stuff.

One area that I think may be better in the Audi's is the sound system, especially when upgraded to the Bose system or whatever it is. The BM stereo does not seem exceptional.

Other than that the BM really does give a great mix of economy, comfort and performance, and I think thats what makes it such a winner.

Had you considered a petrol 5 series ? I'd have a Diesel one tommorow if one came up cheap, but if you don't too many miles look at a petrol. My 528i manual is showing an average of over 29mpg, the guy I bought it off bought a 530d auto as a replacement and told me he's getting 33mpg, so the difference in economy is not massive from what I've heard at least.
Old 12 September 2005, 09:43 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

If you're comparing like with like, you should be looking at the 525d - which is also better than the A6! Considerably cheaper too, as everyone wants to 530d.
Old 12 September 2005, 09:58 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Which 5 series diesel returns the best MPG at motorway speeds?