Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Going for an Ex-Plod S70 T5. What should I look for

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2005, 03:45 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going for an Ex-Plod S70 T5. What should I look for

Im going for an Ex-Plod S70 T5.It was a training car. It hasnt got any holes anywhere, and it's dark blue. I've had two T5's before, but never an Ex-Plod. Anyone know of stuff I need to look for????

Cheers

Paul

Old 04 August 2005, 03:56 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I've had two ex-plod cars.

Mondeo Si blew its engine within a few hundred miles of light use.

Vectra SRi V6 needed a few bits doing to it but nothing major.

Very difficult for resale too.

I personally wouldnt bother buying another ex-plod car. They may be regularly serviced but this doesn't negate the abuse they encounter.

The one that you mention may be different as its not a beat car.

Bob
Old 04 August 2005, 06:36 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

May not have any holes in it but you can bet it will have had a hard life from day one!
Driver training vehicles get driven just as hard as operational vehicles only more often.
It would have to be nearly given away for me to consider one.
Old 04 August 2005, 07:59 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

£2500 for a 2000 V model! I think it seems quite cheap
Old 04 August 2005, 08:09 PM
N3 DOO
Scooby Regular

would not bother with it, its been thrashed more than you will ever know, ( I know) but you will talk yourself into it.
Old 04 August 2005, 08:21 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

I promise I wont It does look nice though, and Ive had one before, but it was Auto and non plod. Missed it when i got rid, like I missed the Scoob. Going back to one cos there the best compromise in every department, but, I think I will stay clear of the ex-boyz-in-blue ones
Old 04 August 2005, 08:26 PM
N3 DOO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LIDDO
I promise I wont It does look nice though, and Ive had one before, but it was Auto and non plod. Missed it when i got rid, like I missed the Scoob. Going back to one cos there the best compromise in every department, but, I think I will stay clear of the ex-boyz-in-blue ones
Wise, get a wagon you know it makes sence
Old 04 August 2005, 08:39 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Hi, I see this from both sides as I have purchased 2 ex-police cars before, but I also drive police cars

I dont drive traffic cars but I drive everything else. I do occasionally go out with the RPU guys though. Anyway, the majority of police cars are in ok condition these days. The manufacturers often do police specials with hard wearing seats and stuff like that.

I would look for anything that has been unmarked as it’s likely to have a lot less holes in it; both of mine have been unmarked. A lot of BiB cars come with main dealer service history now, as I know my force dont service anything other than the pandas and vans, everything else goes to a main dealer, so traffic cars, people carriers, CID etc etc.

If anything is broken then it will (should) have been fixed, but wear and tear items can often be problematic. My check list would go as follows (above normal):

Check body work, any accident repairs that involve the metal panels are not really that much of a problem as they get fixed by the main dealers but things like minor crash damage to the bumpers wont get fixed unless its hanging off so you sometimes see the bumpers held on with extra screws etc.

Check all the lights work properly, most forces add extra wiring etc and when they remove this or cut the connections the lights sometimes dont work.

Check the tyres, check for nails and worn shoulders. Have a good pull on the top of the tyre to check the wheel bearing, if there is play it will need a new bearing. Check for a lip on the brake discs. Most traffic cars will go through a set of brake pads ever 15k miles and new discs are often fitted with these as standard practice for safety but check them anyway.

Check the engine and gear box next, if its done more than 80k its possible the turbo has been replaced, we have had quite a few T5s go around this mark, if the turbo looks very old its probably never had a new one so check for smoke on start up very carefully. If its got FSH they sometimes keep a note of new parts like that in the notes section. Check the water header tank for white deposits, if there is a lot of white deposit in there then the head gasket is going. Check for oil leaks on the underside of the engine. If there is a sump guard check it for dents and tears. Check engine mounts. Check gearbox seals for leaks. Check the oil, should be a fairly light brown - should not be black (if its a petrol) as the oil will be changed every 10k.

Whist you are under the bonnet keep your eye open for any markings, mechanics often write things on the battery or wings in marker pen so the next mechanic knows what was done on the last time. My first ex BiB car had a lot of "notes" on the inside of the wings. I could see when they had changed the coolant and cam chain too. There was also a note on the battery to say when it was fitted.. check the PAS pump. Check the radiator for any patches and such like.

Whilst you are under the car check the underneath for big dents or kinks to the exhaust, sometimes hit kerbs and such like causing damage to the under side of the car but it just gets left like that. Check suspension bushes and mounts if you can.

Next have a look in the boot, have a look under the carpet - you will prob find some holes here - this is where the radio gear is kept. So long as it looks neat and tidy its ok, on some cars you will need to replace the boot carpet.

Have a look over the inside, check the seats for bust springs, check the floor carpets for stains etc. The roof lining can also get a bit dirty - and will sometimes have bits cut out of it for lights etc - even if it was unmarked (they come from the factory like that).

Check all the vents operate and that all the dash and switches light up as they should. Have a look in the glove box. Might need replacing. Check all glass on the car for chips and such like.

Check that the rubber work on the pedals and s/wheel are not too worn, can look tatty sometimes. If its got air con check it works, if there is no radio fitted check that there is an antenna connection for a radio....

Take it for a test drive. If its pulling to one side check the track rods are not bent. make sure you start it from cold, then take it for a gentile drive for 10 mins, then once its warmed up give it some stick. Manual gearboxes should feel nice - might be a bit clunky over 100k but then any car will be, autos should change perfectly. Engine should not hesitate at all, give good power and start first time. Watch for idle problems.

Check the brakes at a good speed - 70-80mph if you can - no judder should be present. Check the handbrake feels nice and holds the car under small load from the engine.

Go over some speed bumps - should not be any nasty noises coming from the suspension.

When you are done on the test drive dont turn the engine off straight away, let it run till the fan comes on...

If there are any major problems walk away, there are 100s of these cars out there for sale. Like I said try and get something thats been unmarked. Any minor problems take out the cost in the price. Its impossible to predict if you will get a 100% reliable car but I would advise you change the oil regularly.

I had a Ford RS2000 4x4 which was used in a special department and was in nice condition when I got it, paid £5k for it with 80k miles on the clock. I replaced some of plastics for the dash and replaced the boot carpet at minor cost. Looked like new after a good polish. I changed the oil myself every 5000 miles and it ran very well, was quick and started first time every time. Never had any problems and sold it for 3k 2 years later with 130k on the clock. Used to get waived at by the BiB in that too as it was a local car to where I lived LOL...

My next bib car was a Vectra SRi V6 some 4 years later, again unmarked. Was ex met. Bit tatty, paid 2k for it with 90k miles. Changed the oil a couple of times, did 50k miles in it and sold it for 3k 9 months later. Only problem was one of the xenon lamps failed and cost about 100 quid to fix. I bought this car as a hack as I had to drive 8k a month But it did the job perfectly.

If you want any specific info let me know. Do you know which force it was on BTW?
Old 04 August 2005, 09:04 PM
N3 DOO
Scooby Regular

I think you just about said it all, lol
Old 04 August 2005, 09:38 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

**** me Billythekid, thanks VERY much for all that info! It would of took me a month to type all that Im gonna have to print it all off and take it with me, IF i go for it. Not too sure now, but i suppose at 2.5k its worth a shot Thanks again to everyone for there replies

Old 04 August 2005, 09:39 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

LOL, dont get me wrong a lot of BiB cars are crap and I would not touch a panda or a van as they get the most abuse - the back of a 3 year old van is not a nice place... The traffic boys tend to drive round fairly nicely most of the time, even when on a job they dont rag them as hard as it is possible to do, the main abuse comes in chases as they get battered about and the red mist often comes down...
Old 04 August 2005, 09:42 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

So do training cars get more abuse??? This ones done 149k but he reckons the turbo looks brand new and all the belts have just been done AND it does smoke at all. Its from the Gwent Police. So maybe a lot of A and B road driving???

Last edited by LIDDO; 05 August 2005 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05 August 2005, 09:59 AM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

A long tiem ago, I had an Astra diesel which was ex police.....probably the most problematic car I've ever had....it was an absolute heap........leaked oil, needed all moving parts replacing, and was a complete false economy........and it had been maintained all its life by the local plod, yet was as abused as they come...
Old 05 August 2005, 10:48 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

No the training cars dont get much abuse - not as much as a full time trafpol car. It wont have been off road, over kerbs and in chases where the bandit is raming police cars. The driving school tend to be a bit more sedate these days. I remember the days of bandit runs where we would chase each other all over the county in unmarked cars - one of the cars even ended up in a lake....

Go and have a drive, an S70 T5 should drive quite nicely even with that kind of mileage. The main problem with them are the turbos - but if its been changed should be fine.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 05 August 2005, 10:53 AM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

Have a look here too http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/dcboa...opics&forum=18
Old 05 August 2005, 12:17 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Again, thanks for the replys. Ive took the plunge, and have bought the car. I pick it up on Sunday hopefully. Just need to sell the Scoob now At 2340 its cheap, so even if it needs a little bit of work doing to it, Im not going to be that bothered. It's just been MOT,d and its got new tyres all round and possibly a new turbo, so hopefully, its going to be a goodun.

Will keep you informed

Cheers
Old 06 August 2005, 10:38 AM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

:thumb 280 bhp or 304bhp? www.volvotuninguk.com
Old 07 August 2005, 05:11 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Went all the way to Stoke, to find it was a shed Tappets rattleing like mad, and some other strange noise, plus an oil leak, plus scratches on EVERY panel. Think I'll stay away from Ex-plod cars from now on. There must be some nice T5,s out there at a decent price. Thanks for all your help
Old 07 August 2005, 10:51 PM
Pauleds2
Scooby Regular

I would stay well clear Paul, all are mercilessly treated,thrashed and crashed.

Ex-Traffic cars WILL have been in bumps.Pursuit and containment techniques require car to car contact so you will never get a straight one.
Old 08 August 2005, 11:14 AM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

This one looked a bit fooked! I know Volvo,s are tuff, but this one was WELL past its sell by date! He'll be lucky to get £1500 for it. It'll need a rebuild and respray!
Old 08 August 2005, 11:49 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

A friend has an Ex South Wales Police white Volvo T5 FWD. He hasn't had any problems with it and it is quite comical the way other drivers react to it. If you are in a rush to get anywhere then you are knackered because the driver in front of you will always be doing 28mph
He once arrived at a fancy dress party with a mate and they were dressed as Batman and Robin. They were both p1ssing themselves laughing and explained that after Batman had picked up Robin they were pulling back out onto the main road when a Max Powered Corsa came flying towards them, spotted them at the junction, slammed on the brakes and cruised past. They followed behind the Corsa for a bit at the usual 28mph and then flashed their headlights. The Corsa slowed down and they pulled alongside.
They said the look on the driver and passengers faces as Robin leaned out the window and told them to 'slow the **** down!' was priceless
Old 08 August 2005, 11:57 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

LOL

Liddo, sorry to hear that, but like I said there are lots of cars out there - its just about finding the right one. I have sent you a PM about the location of several T5s...
Old 08 August 2005, 12:01 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Cheers Billy ive PM,s you back, and PMSL at Daz,s mates :