Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

205 gti advice

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2005, 09:27 PM
cips
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 205 gti advice

Hi,im looking for a 205 gti for a 2nd car and would appreciate your views on this please

1989 F Reg PEUGEOT 205 1.9 GTi 3dr BASED ON A 1.6 XE CHEAP INSURANCE!3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 90,000 miles, Arctic white with half leather interi. Based on a 1.6 XE (cheap insurance!), all 1.9 GTI running gear including, engine (done 40,000 miles), 1.8 diesel long ratio gearbox, brand new discs and pads all round, 1.9 GTI wheels with x4 new tyres, red carpets, lowered suspension, Magnex stainless steel exhaust system, K&N filter, POWER STEERING! (never seen before), superchipped (to 138 BHP), electric windows, sunroof, all previous MOTs, 11 months MOT, 6 months TAX. 0-62 6.9 seconds! This car is not for the faint hearted, very quick, starts, runs and drives perfectly. P/X bargain @ £994.

Chris
Old 25 July 2005, 10:15 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

So is it not a proper 1.9GTi then? If thats the case I would leave well alone personally. There are enough proper 205GTi's out there so why bother with a bitsa this and bitsa that?

Gary
Old 25 July 2005, 10:19 PM
perky555
Scooby Regular

That wouldnt be a bad price if it was Miami blue or green as they fetch more, but becareful of one's that have had engine swaps etc, usually means theyve been around the block afew times (and b*llocked too!).

Check suspension joints, bushes, play in the rear beam as that really f**ks the handling up and isnt too cheap to fix.
Ive had afew of them now and thats been common on them all.
Also check it doesnt use water, as ive had one that had a crack in the block (under exhaust manifold) due to previous owner over tightening the head.
headgaskets due go on them aswell.
Old 26 July 2005, 12:32 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Personally I would go for a 1.6GTi version I had both 1.6 and 1.9 and preferred the 1.6.

Originally Posted by perky555
That wouldnt be a bad price if it was Miami blue or green as they fetch more, but becareful of one's that have had engine swaps etc, usually means theyve been around the block afew times (and b*llocked too!).

Check suspension joints, bushes, play in the rear beam as that really f**ks the handling up and isnt too cheap to fix.
Ive had afew of them now and thats been common on them all.
Also check it doesnt use water, as ive had one that had a crack in the block (under exhaust manifold) due to previous owner over tightening the head.
headgaskets due go on them aswell.
Old 26 July 2005, 09:36 AM
ellisg
Scooby Regular

Buy a proper 1.6 or 1.9 with a good history not that one listed, you can pick them up for similar price. There is a glut in 205 prices at the moment, summer is always a bad time as well as general down turn.

White is lush on a 205, one of the few cars to pull off white as a good colour.
Red is the most popular but fades, miami blue and sorrrento green are most sought after. I prefer steel grey, but they are rare.

Look at 10 and buy 1, there are so many dogs.
Phase 2s are preferred, they have black interiors, but are more expensive than phase 1s
They have galvanished bodies after 88, but check for rust on the inner wings, boot panel.

Superchips are a waste of time.
1.6s are more fun to drive, they rev better and are more comfortable.
1.9s are preferred though for sheer pace.
Mi16s are plain mad
GTi6 conversions are even better
Old 26 July 2005, 09:56 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ellisg
Buy a proper 1.6 or 1.9 with a good history not that one listed, you can pick them up for similar price. There is a glut in 205 prices at the moment, summer is always a bad time as well as general down turn.

White is lush on a 205, one of the few cars to pull off white as a good colour.
Red is the most popular but fades, miami blue and sorrrento green are most sought after. I prefer steel grey, but they are rare.

Look at 10 and buy 1, there are so many dogs.
Phase 2s are preferred, they have black interiors, but are more expensive than phase 1s
They have galvanished bodies after 88, but check for rust on the inner wings, boot panel.

Superchips are a waste of time.
1.6s are more fun to drive, they rev better and are more comfortable.
1.9s are preferred though for sheer pace.
Mi16s are plain mad
GTi6 conversions are even better
I think you'll find the MI is the better of the two, the GTi6 motor is a heavier block IIRC.
Superchips do not increase power but have been known to assist in getting rid of the nodding dog syndrome you get when stuck in traffic.
A said get a phase 2 if you can ( post '88 ) IIRC.
Power Steering, was an option on the later cars IIRC.
Rear Beam, if there is loads of neg camber on the back wheels rear beam is shot and needs overhauling, the worst of it is the bushes are cheap but if they have been neglected they take the trailing arms with them.

Buy a proper GTi not this build up IMO

John.
Old 26 July 2005, 10:00 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

and the most important thing of all is that all of them have the ability to kick a scoobs **** on a track, and regularly do

Gary
Old 26 July 2005, 10:13 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New To Scoob
I think you'll find the MI is the better of the two, the GTi6 motor is a heavier block IIRC.
Actually mate this is not so. The weight difference really does not make all that much difference at all to the overall car, and now a few more GTi-6 engined cars are about its getting a more well known conversion.

The GTi-6 unit makes for a better starting point, it has a good deal more bhp as standard (than a 2l MI though only a smidge more than the 1.9 Mi) which offsets any weight, but the key thing is its got more torque and a much better torque spread making it much more driveable

Also, GTi-6 block is more tuneable
Old 26 July 2005, 10:13 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

If you get a good one you will never regret it.

I bought a 1.6 (white) in April and have spent a couple of months (mostly weekends) getting it ready for trackdays and hill climbs.

Dropped in a 70,000 mile 1.9 engine in, and the care revs and pulls like nothing else.

I cannot remember the last time driving a car on the back roads was as much fun.

(P.S. ex Impreza UK Turbo, STi RA, Evo 6GSR and 911 Super Sport owner).

(P.P.S. now very broke.........................).

(P.P.P.S. check out www.205gtidrivers.com).

Great cars

Richard
Old 26 July 2005, 02:03 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

A standard(ish) 1.9, non power steering GTI will probably be your best bet.

Stay away from anyhing that has been messed about with as it will probably have been bodged.
Old 26 July 2005, 02:06 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt85
Stay away from anyhing that has been messed about with as it will probably have been bodged.

Thats a little unfair me thinks. If your looking for a car for the track for instance you can do alot worse then buying an already prepared car. Let the other guy do all the work and take the hit on the piece parts.

To a certain extent if your looking at lexus light style road cars I agree though.
Old 26 July 2005, 02:13 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt85
A standard(ish) 1.9, non power steering GTI will probably be your best bet.

Not necessairly.

Its 12 months today that I started rebuilding mine, and £3k later it has a fully rebuilt Mi16 engine, Emerald ECU, throttle bodies, Samco cooling and more new parts than you can shake a stick at. It is a proper conversion with no shortcuts, hence why its taken me 12 months to do it.

And before you start Gary (), only the Emerald to wire in now and it will be on the road. Amazingly it now has a new Corbeau interior, full engine and gearbox with drivetrain connected, working clutch and Grp A gears and new fuel system.

Just the induction to sort (then insurance ) and we can start driving it again, hopefully
Old 26 July 2005, 02:36 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Hurry up mate else the car will be celebrating its golden anniversary before you get it on the road

Only joking mate, it will be a good-un once its done. I think you should let me run it in for you one weekend

Gary
Old 26 July 2005, 04:24 PM
Type-R
Scooby Regular

Default Re: 205 GTI 1.9

Hi,

To added my non too constructive comments :

Just bought a (F) 88 1.9 GTI 120k as a 2nd car to the Scooby.
They seem to suffer from the dreaded rear axel problem beware as these are like gold dust !

The car I have has had 2 owners from new (father/Son), full pug history up until last year and then specalist, few mods (compression adjusted, mangnex exhaust and induction kit). Need new rear beam which was sourced and fitted !.

Car runs perfect starts first time - covered 2.5k hassel free motoring !

Best thing is that I only paid £200 for the car now with the beam fitted (£200), got my self a nippy 2nd car for £400 !.

But i do agree alot of dogs out there so beware !
Old 26 July 2005, 05:19 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

there are some great articles / posts over at 205drivers. My advice is don't assume the later car will be better, J/K/L ones rust more than any other age
Old 26 July 2005, 05:46 PM
ellisg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5_336
J/K/L ones rust more than any other age
Which strangely corresponds to when the 205 Gtis were being made in Spain.
From around J reg, a third of 1.9s were made in spain, the rest and historically were made in france.

I've owned 2 K-regs, one slightly rusty, the other rust free and seen numerous lacquer problems on later models
Old 26 July 2005, 06:34 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hi-jack the thread.

Does anyone know of a GOOD breakers yard where I'll find a rear bumper for my MY89 1.6??

I've tried e-bay, the 205 Gti forum plus a couple of local breakers, but to no avail

Perhaps someone out there may have a nice one knocking around gathering dust

Money ready and waiting
Old 26 July 2005, 07:21 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5_336
there are some great articles / posts over at 205drivers. My advice is don't assume the later car will be better, J/K/L ones rust more than any other age
Not so Pre C reg 1986 are the worst as it wasn't until then that Peugeot started using galvanised steel. But of the later cars correctamundo!
Old 26 July 2005, 07:35 PM
miles25
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adidas
Sorry to hi-jack the thread.

Does anyone know of a GOOD breakers yard where I'll find a rear bumper for my MY89 1.6??

I've tried e-bay, the 205 Gti forum plus a couple of local breakers, but to no avail

Perhaps someone out there may have a nice one knocking around gathering dust

Money ready and waiting
www.205parts.com

They're based in leicester and will deliver for a reasonable price. I've used them for all sorts of body parts and they've always supplied me quality parts.

Last edited by miles25; 26 July 2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 26 July 2005, 08:04 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
Not so Pre C reg 1986 are the worst as it wasn't until then that Peugeot started using galvanised steel. But of the later cars correctamundo!
True, I should have said of the years you'd want to actually buy, these are the worst
Old 26 July 2005, 10:13 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

LOL! I'll stick to my 1990 Sorrento
Old 27 July 2005, 02:24 PM
mw2655
Scooby Regular

buy mine instead.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW...00530201151586