Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Sold my 280bhp scooby for this.....

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2005, 12:19 AM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold my 280bhp scooby for this.....

well for the next 6 months at least anyway, whilst I save for a teg type R and go on holiday!

But....I can honestly say I find this car more fun to drive than the impreza

The main reason is the handling, it is absolutely brilliant, really does handle like a go-kart, very chuckable and lots of confidence on the twisties and roundabouts.

in addition it does 35mpg, needs servicing every 12k, costs 4 times less insurance than the impreza, and im not so worried about leaving it parked up anywhere which is a big one for me as I would never leave the scooby parked anywhere without being in constant worry!

Obviously its not in the same league as an impreza, no where near as fast, and doesnt look or sound as nice like, but its nice to have a car that I dont have to worry too much about for a change, and thats so cheap to run. I aint used to this ****!

p.s pics taken on Nokia 6680! top phone if anyone is thinking about one!!

Old 21 July 2005, 01:30 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Nice mate, must admit I do like 106 GTis a lot! Had a play in one though and found it a bit of a task not to press the brake and accelerator at the same time?

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a dark blue 106 in future then
Old 21 July 2005, 02:09 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Nice wee car, and very impressive pics from a Mobile...

What mods have you got on there just now then, as it looks a bit lower than standard ones I've seen.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 21 July 2005, 02:12 AM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

CJAF7R, the Scooby you sold, was it a black MY94/95 with facelift front end? If so, I would never have sold it! Mind you, the 106 ain't half bad
Old 21 July 2005, 03:11 AM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

They are quality pics for a mobile. I want one
Old 21 July 2005, 08:50 AM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

yeah the pedals are well close together, and positioned further to the left than im used to. When i shifted it last night, even pressed the brake for a second instead of the clutch...! Getting used to it now though!

The cars been lowered by peugeot sport at the dealer, but thats the only mod. Its the best handling car i've owned to date by far.

Yeah mine was the black classic with facelift. Awesome car, but I sold it for a few different reasons:

First off I darent leave it parked up anywhere in fear of it getting damaged, bumped or nicked, cos it was in absolutely mint nick!

secondly, for the reason above, I was only really using it for work. Expensive car to use thats used for 90% commuting in.

thirdly, insurance at 24 was costing me a fortune, as was fuel, octane booster, tyres on 18" wheels, pads on HUGE brakes, etc.

Finally, reliablility. In 4 weeks, it cost me nearly £400 in repair bills, one of the problems I had, I was soooo lucky that the engine was in one piece afterwards. The big pulley on the front of the block that runs the alt, PS, etc, actually wobbled off the engine, causing all the belts to come off. the woodruff key disintigrated. Very lucky no damage was done and that the other belts didnt get into the timing belt area. had to have half the engine stripped down to ensure it was all ok, before starting it.

Dont get me wrong, awesome car, very fast, I just wanted a hassle free, cheaper to run motor. I want a teg DC2, but thought id get the 106 for a bit so its easier to save up!

As for the phone, that pic size has been reduced, here is the original size. great phone, its even got tomtom mobile on it which comes in handy!

full res pic

Last edited by CJAF7R; 21 July 2005 at 08:57 AM.
Old 21 July 2005, 08:53 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Excellent choice. I will look out for you whilst pursuing the local area

Andy
Old 21 July 2005, 09:11 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

I had a brand new one of these when I was nineteen!! Absolutely loved it and would get another.

Totally agree with the go-kart handling and would keep up with the Impreza down the tight roads

Also have had a 205 which I prefer a little, but more likely to bite you back.
Old 21 July 2005, 09:56 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like these They look like so much fun, I remember them raving about it on a Clarkson video I like the colour of your one
Old 21 July 2005, 11:18 AM
'T'
Scooby Newbie

nice colour and leather is a must i think,cloth looks terrible and cheap.

did you consider a clio williams at all? bit faster, more torque and has the edge on the bends.
Old 21 July 2005, 12:21 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Clio Williams is meant to be a bit more fragile though isnt it??

Friend had a Clio 16v and then bought a 2000 106GTi and the difference inside was pretty amazing...... 106 felt a lot more solid/better built than the Clio.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 21 July 2005, 12:37 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

You'll get used to the pedals soon enough. I certainly did in my VTS and I'm a size 10. The handling is phenomenal in these things (VTS and GTi being the same for anyone who doesn't know) and they're so chuckable without ever feeling like they're on the edge. Great fun for not many pennies
Old 21 July 2005, 02:37 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Absolute top car mate. I had one years ago, in the same colour. I miss it, I really do, cos it's such a fun car, and a giant killer. The amount of cars I beat or they couldn't get away from me on a back road. You could see there faces in their rear view mirrors thinking "Eh, WTF how is a little 106 keeping up with me?". Funny
Old 21 July 2005, 02:48 PM
R33BAZ
Scooby Regular

nice looking motor!!

did you consider the 106 Rallye before buying this?

my mate had one and im like you, big feet so hitting all 3 pedals at once but i dont think iv ever driven a car that was as much fun on backroads.

its the no frills lighter version but for a 1.6 it could shift!!
Old 21 July 2005, 05:14 PM
jacksdad
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice pics!! I'm off to buy a phone tonight.

Had a clio williams 2 and a saxo vts. Clio was superb handling, and managed to get 146mph out of her. Used to have some serious races with my mate back then. He had a 205 gti (Mi16)!!!

Originally Posted by R33BAZ
nice looking motor!!

did you consider the 106 Rallye before buying this?

my mate had one and im like you, big feet so hitting all 3 pedals at once but i dont think iv ever driven a car that was as much fun on backroads.

its the no frills lighter version but for a 1.6 it could shift!!
Old 21 July 2005, 06:09 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jacksdad
Nice pics!! I'm off to buy a phone tonight.

Had a clio williams 2 and a saxo vts. Clio was superb handling, and managed to get 146mph out of her. Used to have some serious races with my mate back then. He had a 205 gti (Mi16)!!!
civic type r any day over pug gti, hate em to be honest..ul prefer the teg R, i had a black 98 spec on with hks goodies, great motor
Old 21 July 2005, 06:15 PM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

yeah i cant afford the teg at the mo, got holiday coming up etc so bought this to save on running costs, and put the change from the scoob in the bank!

iv had a clio 16v before, good cars but a bit older than i wanted, thats why i didnt go for a williams, and not very reiliable either from experiance. also had a williams powered clio 16v that runs 14.0@99mph 1/4 mile, now that was fun!!! I sold that for the scooby! that did suprise a lot of cars, including a few imprezas i came up against!

i wanted something a lot newer, it does feel a lot more solid than the clio's i've had, im happy with it anyways
Old 21 July 2005, 08:52 PM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a Blaze Yellow 97 (R) 106gti about 2 years ago. Spent an absolute fortune modding it when I still lived at my parents. 163BHP@ the wheels. Loads of parts for them on the market. If you're going to do anything to it I would recommend a Ram Cooler (forced induction kit), Chip, and a Full System. Try
www.ecosse-peugeot.co.uk
Great fun to drive. Couple of common faults,
Squeaky belt tensioner
Dodgy alarm (incar sensors)
ABS sensors
Crankshaft seal leaks.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I did mine. Would have another any day.
Phil.
Old 22 July 2005, 03:49 AM
eg3+3
Scooby Newbie

163bhp @ the wheels... what you have done to it...
that's shud be 210bhp at the fly.. 90bhp more than a standard 106 GTI!
Old 22 July 2005, 06:56 AM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

that is a hell of a car with 163@wheels in something so light.

my old 2.0 clio was 145@wheels ad weighed in at 880kg with fuel and no driver.

i have seena couple od supercharged 106's about, and some on TBies altho not that good results due to the trumpets being at the rear of the engine
Old 22 July 2005, 09:33 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
civic type r any day over pug gti, hate em to be honest..ul prefer the teg R, i had a black 98 spec on with hks goodies, great motor
Civic Type R is a top motor - my Dad has one and was really impressed.

But doesn't really compare to the 106 as a completely different league (and price)!
Old 22 July 2005, 09:42 AM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

CTR is completely different category of motor. I bought this for a cheap to run motor till I can save some pennies for the ITR. prefer the teg over the civic anyday of the week.

The 106 was less than half the price of a civic type R.

One thing, after scooby ownership, getting 130 miles to £15 of fuel with lots of enthusiastic driving is a serious shock to the system. lol! The fuel gauge hardly moves, its great
Old 22 July 2005, 12:21 PM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eg3+3
163bhp @ the wheels... what you have done to it...
that's shud be 210bhp at the fly.. 90bhp more than a standard 106 GTI!
First, started with the Ram Cooler, then had it Superchipped. Full exhaust system (de-cat), 4-2-1 manifold, gas flowed head and exhaust ports. PT 150 cam (quite lumpy). I did have nitrous too with 100 BHP jets.
As you can see this was in my Max Power days when I first started modding cars and didn't have a house and a kid.
Always wanted an Impreza Turbo. Never thought I could afford to run one. But to be honest its not as bad as I thought. Insurance is actually cheaper than my 106gti was (with all mods declared). By the way I'm 30 cough 3 now. I had the 106 5 years ago.
Things certainly change over the years.

Phil.
Old 22 July 2005, 06:21 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

my missus has just bought a 106Gti, and having driven it a couple of times I have to say its a quick little motor and no mistake

Off the mark it would scare a lot of cars imo, including my 'teg... certainly at legal speeds, and it would take a good driver to shake one of these off I reckon.
Old 22 July 2005, 06:44 PM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EvoBarry
my missus has just bought a 106Gti, and having driven it a couple of times I have to say its a quick little motor and no mistake

Off the mark it would scare a lot of cars imo, including my 'teg... certainly at legal speeds, and it would take a good driver to shake one of these off I reckon.
I agree, when I had mine it was rapid off the mark.0-60 was under 7 secs with a top speed of 140mph "on a race way"
These are exellent little cars, when dropped on there ar*e its like driving a go-cart.

Phil.
Old 22 July 2005, 07:53 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Second best handling car I have ever driven the 106gti and everyone knows they have better suspension and interior than paxos. On a tight twisty road faster than lots of cars including most scoobs.