Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi TT Roadster... What are they really like

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2005, 09:36 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi TT Roadster... What are they really like

Ok, Im not gay or a hairdresser. But quite fancy getting a Audi TT 225 Roadster in Black, just for the summer months. For me and the other half to squirt around in.

What are people views on the car, Are they a blast to drive ? Quick ?

Im looking at the later generation, on about an 03/03
Old 02 April 2005, 09:47 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

only gay hairdressers drive audi tt,s.
Old 02 April 2005, 09:50 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Honda S2000 or Boxster would be a better drivers car IMHO.
Old 02 April 2005, 09:52 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Ive had 2 boxsters and dont really fancy another. Maybe a new shape one next year with a couple of thousand miles on the clock.

So apart from Gay Hairdressers .... What are they like to drive and live with ?
Old 02 April 2005, 10:21 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I spent half a day driving a TT roadster courtesy of an obliging Audi main dealer. I've also driven a number of boxsters, both normal models and S's.

The TT is not so good a drivers car as the boxster. In comparison its steering lacks feel, its gearchange is notchy and its brakes are over-servoed and lack feel. It's engine note is very poor compared to the porsche flat 6. In speed terms it probably sits between the basic boxster and the S.

It all depends what you want from the car. If you enjoyed the feel of the boxster to drive you'll be disappointed in the TT. The quality of the TT in terms of fit and finish is much better though, and the cabin is a much more pleasant place to be. A friend of mine has recently moved from TT to boxster S and is having a hard time coming to terms with the comparatively poor cabin quality.

It was a few years ago when I drove the TT and it didn't inspire me enough as a drivers car to throw my own money at it. As I get older though my priorities have started to change and I wouldn't necessarily reject it now....go take a test drive and decide for yourself.

Gary.
Old 02 April 2005, 10:22 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

hairdresser.

nuff said.
Old 02 April 2005, 10:23 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

only gay hairdressers who cant afford a real porsche drive a boxster.
Old 02 April 2005, 10:24 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Perriam
hairdresser.

nuff said.
A hairdresser image is probably better than the image the impreza has nowadays
Old 02 April 2005, 10:25 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pete1977
only gay hairdressers who cant afford a real porsche drive a boxster.
no only gay hairdressers drive a porsche.
Old 02 April 2005, 10:27 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

i only know of one slightly camp gt2 owner.but i dont think hes a full out batty boy.
Old 02 April 2005, 10:27 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GCollier
A hairdresser image is probably better than the image the impreza has nowadays
well as u r obviously a hairdresser and gay i need a haircut please m8.
Old 03 April 2005, 09:38 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Right ..........
Old 03 April 2005, 11:03 AM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

The school hols finish today...so hopefully the childish comments will disappear from tomorrow...wishful thinking eh!
Old 03 April 2005, 11:17 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

mate had a TT.....he loved it. Fast and convertible.....what more do you need? If you really want a "drivers" car it might not be the first choice but i'd have one for blasting round in the summer if i wanted that sort of thing.

In fact.....i bought a TVR 2 years ago........wished i'd bought a TT now. The stupid gay stuff only exists in "car circles"......luckily i dont live ina B&Q car park so the ONLY place i have heard that my BMW was for *******, my Scoob was for Chavs or my TVR was a pile of junk was on here....Joe Bloggs loved all of them.

T

ps.....SN was right about the TVR though!
Old 03 April 2005, 11:31 AM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

I`ve a mate who has a 225 TT roadster. I like it.

So long as you approach it for what it is, a brisk (not fast), well built and stylish (in isolation the TT is still as fresh as the day it was launched, only familiarity has lessened it`s design appeal) two seat roadster you`ll have no problems.

Yes, the S2000 is probably a better drivers car (so long as you want to cane the nuts off it)
Yes, the Boxster has it all covered (but they cost a lot more than the TT to buy and run)

So long as you can put up with the comments on the image I`d give one a go.
Old 03 April 2005, 05:35 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

You dont *actually* have to cane the nuts of an S2000 to enjoy it. Really you don't....

I liked the TT too, both IMHO nicer to live with than an Elise. Mate has both the mk1 and 2 Elise and I wouldn't swap the S2K for both. The Elise is clearly more of a go kart in the handling department but the S has it in most other areas.
Old 03 April 2005, 10:13 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I really dislike the TT - it is a ponce mobile. The S2k is the least gay out of them - as I own one

The only plus point I can see about the Audi is that it has a turbo and therefore ot can be fiddled with very easily to gain a lot more power. Wont improve the feel though...

MB
Old 04 April 2005, 04:40 PM
Roger Woods
Scooby Regular

I bought a new TT 150 last year well speced up. looked good but I had a really back back ache every time I drove it - still have a 2000 model Scooby Turbo and still smile after 110 thousand miles. TT went last month and I lost stacks on it - in the end it was just to small.... I have just got a BMW 523 Touring with 100 thousand miles and its a great car that I wont lose my shirt on.....Go have a drive in a TT it might suit but I was left with a shock after finding out what a 10 month old car had lost - good luck with what ever you decide - roger
Old 04 April 2005, 04:49 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Only prob with the S2000 is it misses the point of a soft top..............taking the roof off a car has no positive effect except looks/image.

the car is heavier with extra support, you get blown about, the sun/wind/rain/etc gets in your eyes, its not a safe, the heating/cooling wont work as well, not as secure...etc, etc

Image is 90% of it and the TT still has a great image outside of places like this.
Old 04 April 2005, 05:01 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Wish
What are people views on the car, Are they a blast to drive ? Quick ?

Im looking at the later generation, on about an 03/03
had an early W reg coupe(225 of course ), thought it was the nuts to begin with but that soon wears off even tho the build quality very good, interior really really good and a good pose but didn't do anything for me i'm afraid. Didn't even 'seem' very quick and handling was not very predictable. Go grab a test drive and decide for yourself...
Old 04 April 2005, 05:24 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Only prob with the S2000 is it misses the point of a soft top..............taking the roof off a car has no positive effect except looks/image
What in gods green earth are you on about Tiggs!?!? As someone who has never been in a softop before when I drove an S2000 with the top down at the weekend there certainly was 'positive effects besides looks/image'. The wind in the hair, the noise, the fact that there acutally isn't a roof over your head anymore??? You might argue to the an elise misses the point of a softop as there is a lot of structure behind your head but I can't see how you can levy that critisism at the S. You'd have to remove the windscreen for it to be more open
Old 04 April 2005, 05:44 PM
Shimy Type R
Scooby Regular

I dont mind the TT's... they didn't impress me to much for the drive but the again it is a 1.8 turbo and not a scooby...

Me personaly, im going after a Z3 M Power for a while. I'ts going to be a bit different from the version 3 STi but if I dont like it I can always go back to a scooby.

Have you considered one of these? you'd get one for less than your going to pay for a late TT, plus for your money you get a softtop or coupe 321 BHP straight six car, its BMW so you get the reliability aswell...

Just food for thought!

Cheers Shimy.
Old 04 April 2005, 09:46 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
What in gods green earth are you on about Tiggs!?!? As someone who has never been in a softop before when I drove an S2000 with the top down at the weekend there certainly was 'positive effects besides looks/image'. The wind in the hair, the noise, the fact that there acutally isn't a roof over your head anymore??? You might argue to the an elise misses the point of a softop as there is a lot of structure behind your head but I can't see how you can levy that critisism at the S. You'd have to remove the windscreen for it to be more open

lol..."wind in your hair"....i class that along wind image/looks (add "nice felling" if you want!)

my point was that the S2000 sells very heavily based on its engine......which is not suited to a soft top cruiser (and isnt the point of one either)
Old 04 April 2005, 11:36 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Tiggs, with all due respect I really dont think your point is valid in any way. The S2000 is an amazing car to drive and you wont find a -ve post on SN about it - which is rare. Granted its engine / gearbox is aiming to be a racer, but driving the nuts off it with the roof off is bloody good fun. Honda are complete engineering legends in my book, and can do no wrong.

You call it a "soft top cruiser" - its so far from a cruises its unbelieveable. Sort top cruiser is a Jag or similar. Hence your point isnt valid. The engine is a big selling point, but I certainly didn't buy it for that alone

The Boxter is exactly the same principle too.

I would add that it was 1st in the Top gear review Where was the Audi? somewhere at the back with its elec windows falling out and random gearbox flailing around

MB

Last edited by Dark Blue Mark; 05 April 2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05 April 2005, 10:32 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

the guy that bought my TVR sold his S2000 to have my car....he couldnt stand the Honda after 6 months...still has my TVR though.
Old 05 April 2005, 01:15 PM
Pie_n_Chips
Scooby Regular

Location: up a bit, left a bit, down a bit, to the right no left ahhh just there

Originally Posted by Tiggs
the guy that bought my TVR sold his S2000 to have my car....he couldnt stand the Honda after 6 months...still has my TVR though.
And that means what exactly!!????
Old 05 April 2005, 01:37 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

No one will buy it off him.
Old 05 April 2005, 03:38 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bobby Peru
No one will buy it off him.