Just test drove a TVR Sagaris

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2005, 02:45 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just test drove a TVR Sagaris

Drove one of these today. My thoughts if anyones interested

Looks; personal choice but I think it looks fab. Even nicer in the flesh than mags/internet

Engine; fast, very fast. Beauty of the engine is that it just pulls and pulls. You almost c'ant be in the wrong gear. Sqeeze the gas in any gear and its fast, sqeeze it in the right gear and its bloody fast.
Engine note is disappointing though. Really loud but no real character, just a loud noise.

Gear change good.

Steering; very precise. 2 turns lock to lock, smallest input and the car follows.

Handling; seemed very tight but must admit I did'nt really put it through its paces in that respect. ( I was a little scared of the thing to be honest)

Interior; this is where it goes wrong. It looks good but when you touch things they just d'ont have the right 'feel'. Build quality just does'nt look right, difficult to explain.
Also a little claustrophobic inside, and I'm only 6ft.

Must say though the hairs were sticking up on the back of my neck all the time I drove it.

Always used to wonder what people meant about modern cars lacking the need for real driver input. Scoobs and Evos often get criticised for this and now I know why.

Would I buy one for £50k?

No, only because of the lack of interior quality

Was also meant to test drive the Noble M400, but the demo car was having some work done it. Looks gorgeous, as did the GTOR they had.
To be honest, though the inside is VERY simple it 'feels' better than the TVR.
Should be driving one next week and I'll post back if anyones interested.

Also test driving a 996 C4 next week( a friends) so I'll do a TVR Sagaris vs Noble vs Porsche!

Deep
Old 02 April 2005, 02:50 PM
rik-1
Scooby Regular

How does it compare to a Cerbera?
Old 02 April 2005, 03:02 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Would'nt know mate I've never driven one!
Looks wise the Cerbera looks like a car from an older era
Old 02 April 2005, 03:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Chest-wig being a prerequisite.
Old 02 April 2005, 07:56 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Wasn't in Torquay at all? Saw a red Sag parked up with some poeple looking at it in Preston on the wya over to TQ.

Had Peninsula TVR livery all over it.
Old 02 April 2005, 08:27 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

No that was'nt me. London based.
Old 04 April 2005, 08:31 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

If you were concerned about the feel of the interior of the TVR for a £50k car you will be shocked at the 996 then...absolutely horrible for £60!
Honestly though, if you are considering a 996 don't go anywhere near a 997...once you've seen the improvement in plastics/ergonomics (at 6' tall you'll be near as big as you can comfortably get in a 996 - I couldn't get comfortable in mine) you'll quickly grow to resent the 996's interior (except the post million button PCM thing in the 997, that is 'orrible)
Noble is fast and fun, but speedbumps and multi story carparks take some joy out of the experience (and make sure you live near a Noble garage)
Have a try of the S2 Exige...apparently the factory will release a supercharged version this year...also the roof is fixed just like an Elise hardtop...so if you fancy some targa-type action with an Exige S2 you are just 10 minutes and an allen key away...pretty cool!
Finally, if you want to be uber-cool the DB7 is almost free nowadays...£50k gets you a nice late car ....
Rgds
Cman
Old 04 April 2005, 08:35 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

good advice from chuck there, almost word for word what I would have saidm apart from the experience of being 6 foot and owning a 996.
Old 04 April 2005, 11:45 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Old_Fart
If you were concerned about the feel of the interior of the TVR for a £50k car you will be shocked at the 996 then...absolutely horrible for £60!
Honestly though, if you are considering a 996 don't go anywhere near a 997...once you've seen the improvement in plastics/ergonomics (at 6' tall you'll be near as big as you can comfortably get in a 996 - I couldn't get comfortable in mine) you'll quickly grow to resent the 996's interior (except the post million button PCM thing in the 997, that is 'orrible)
Noble is fast and fun, but speedbumps and multi story carparks take some joy out of the experience (and make sure you live near a Noble garage)
Have a try of the S2 Exige...apparently the factory will release a supercharged version this year...also the roof is fixed just like an Elise hardtop...so if you fancy some targa-type action with an Exige S2 you are just 10 minutes and an allen key away...pretty cool!
Finally, if you want to be uber-cool the DB7 is almost free nowadays...£50k gets you a nice late car ....
Rgds
Cman
Hiya.
I d'ont think the 996 would float my boat. Maybe the tt but then thats even more expensive.
Supercharged Exige sounds good, seen it on the Lotus website. Called the 240R, will have 240 BHP and about 180 torque. 0-100 sub 10s! I know this sounds silly but the Exige looks small, maybe not phallic enough for my premature midlife crises!!
DB7 is cool, but not after a cruiser/GT
997S,too expensive for me at the moment(£70k) and 'everybody' will have one soon( w'ont make banker comments because I know you are one, LOL)

Cheers guys