Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

What are Sierra Saph Cossies like now??

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2005, 07:08 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are Sierra Saph Cossies like now??

I just wondered how they compare to modern cars - I've got a blob eye WRX but always wanted a Saph.
Fancy one as a second car lol or should that be third

NOT INTERESTED IN WHICH IS QUICKER

Just wondered how they compare in terms of ride quality/handling/expectations of a car in 2005...I seem to remember the general opinion being that 2WD was a lot better (despite less grip). The dash is crap, but what about living with one these days?

Am I right in thinking that cos they don't have airbags popping out of every cubby hole, they are relatively light??

Looking on autotrader, they seem really cheap?? Guess the £3k ones are best avoided

Just need to move to a house with a garage first
Old 30 March 2005, 07:18 PM
Andy_Number1
Scooby Regular

ive not long got rid of a 2wd pushing near 400 bhp
loads of fun to drive i reckon specially **** pout action and drfiting
Old 30 March 2005, 07:50 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

I have owned two 4x4 cossie sapphires. Both K plates (last to be made but have seen some L regs at shows)

The first I owned was bought for me by my girlfriend (cool eh!) as a present to stop me moaning about having never owned one (had my hands in most other performance cars over the years)....it was a light blue, cant remember what the name of the colour was but it was nice! It cost me in the region of £4500.00 in 2002 and had done a measely (but documented) 45k since new with one owner. The guy I purchased from was a middle age bloke who bought one when they were new as they were all the rage, he kept it over the years purely because he paid big money (his words) when it was new...It had EVERY extra you could get on a Ford, and an electric roof and Air-Con (rare on these so I am told)

Went to look at it expecting to find an old dog as the mileage wasnt listed on the autotrader, when I arrived was introduced to a dirty looking cossie with moss growing on the windows!

I had a good look over it (for at least an hour) inspecting all panels, wheels, spare, engine bay, seals underneath etc etc and the interior. The only seat that had been sat in was the drivers as it was his daily drive to work and he didnt trust his wife to drive it! lol

It had all the paperwork including original bill of sale from an RS dealer (which still existed!) and all MOT's, a few bills for tyres and tracking as well as oil changes at Ford every 2000 miles without fail. No major work, the odd wheel bearing but all in all bills in excess of around £5000.00! for minor things. All mileage matched up from stacks of invoices and it had a massive service before I bought it (costing £900.00) which he did as his farewell to the car....his reason for sale:his wife thought it looked grubby on their drive (big house-TVR on drive as well as top spec S class merc)

I contacted the dealership he bought it from and could not believe the sales manager was the trainee salesman who sold him the car! What a small world, another friend of a friend worked at the same place who said he saw most cosworths that were serviced there and left a little mark inside the boot under the carpet to say he had touched it (an original RS dealer sticker) and sure enough...there it was!

So readies in hand I bought it....it drove like new when I collected it and the performance was bang on....boost was perfect and held strong and the experience of driving it home was worth the money. Was chuffed to bits.

Soon got bored after smartening it up nicely until it looked like new, took it on a tour with the missus where we pushed it right to the limit. It never missed a beat and did not lose any oil over and above what it is recommended in the manuals etc etc

Fuel consumption on motorways was pretty good 30mpg most times

If any criticism could be made it was that the suspension could do with new springs and shocks-that said for a 10 year old car it was superb. The dash was a bit dated (even though it was the face lifted dashboard with rounded dials and not the square ones on the older cossies)

The leather was spotless and all in all it was an experience well worth the money the missus invested in the car. I kept it for approximately 10k where I decided I would of been running it into the ground as my work mileage got silly....I felt sorry for it and knew that someone else would appreciate it more than me

Luxury pack stereo has amp and CD player was good enough for me

Insurance for the year was very cheap! Needed a tracker though, and cat 1 fitted

The best bit, I got a grand more back than I paid for it.....it cost me the following

1)Fuel
2)New headlamp bulbs
3)Oil Service
4)New rev counter (this was about £160.00 main dealer fitted)
5)Performance air filter (£50.00) to help it breath
6)£100.00 in cleaning products

Oh and in a years scoob ownership It has cost us:-

1)Service £250.00
2)Oil service £100.00
3)Tyres £400.00
4)New clutch (warranty through dealer but could of been £400.00)
5)Fuel
6)Better stereo

LOL

I later a year or so on bought another K plate, with slightly more miles (similar history with all bills etc etc) but running around 300bhp on an Ahmed Bajoo chip with full stainless and green injectors etc etc......that cost me £5000.00 and I sold it 6 months on (after the summer of fun) for £5500.00 and this one cost me nothing....but bills were on their way (hence selling)

Find a nice one, owned by someone middle aged or elderley who has kept it well and spent ££££ on it whenever needed and didnt scrimp on parts from halfords...they are around, are very rare and you need a keen eye...but they are out there

Some say you buy a cossie you need the same money you paid for it to repair it....not in my case I didnt, but then I was fussy and lucky too

Good luck

Last edited by King Eric; 30 March 2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old 30 March 2005, 08:03 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still being used as Taxi's (Just getting my own back on the PassionFord lot)

I've just got shot of a 500+bhp RS500.... loverly car but too much power!

Cracking cars for the money (Saph's), easily tunable and seem to attract the enthusiast. These cars have the allegance that I hope some day the Subaru Marque will catch up with.

I wouldnt like to compare a current day car handling wise with a Saph though.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 30 March 2005, 08:14 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Everyone should own a Cosworth, end of.

I remeber buying a Pulsar GTi-R after a owning a couple of cossie's about 7 years ago and remember being amazed at how well it handled and how sure footed it felt.

I've since driven many cars that make the pulsar feel terrible (impreza, evo etc) and I can't help but think I'd be dissapointed with a cossie in that respect.

I've allways loved them and I still remember the first time I went in one, a mechanic friend had a customers car and came and took me out in it. The car was everything I hoped it would be, I still remember the noise and the spine tingling feeling when he gave it some.
Old 30 March 2005, 08:18 PM
Andy_Number1
Scooby Regular

the lovely waste gate chatter when running high boost sounds awsome on them thing i miss most lol big kid
had mine 5 years and would have another deffinatley
Old 30 March 2005, 08:21 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

Wink

Excellent Smithers, the most interesting write up ive ever come across on s/net (apart from ps lewis of course ) well wrote.
Originally Posted by King Eric
I have owned two 4x4 cossie sapphires. Both K plates (last to be made but have seen some L regs at shows)

The first I owned was bought for me by my girlfriend (cool eh!) as a present to stop me moaning about having never owned one (had my hands in most other performance cars over the years)....it was a light blue, cant remember what the name of the colour was but it was nice! It cost me in the region of £4500.00 in 2002 and had done a measely (but documented) 45k since new with one owner. The guy I purchased from was a middle age bloke who bought one when they were new as they were all the rage, he kept it over the years purely because he paid big money (his words) when it was new...It had EVERY extra you could get on a Ford, and an electric roof and Air-Con (rare on these so I am told)

Went to look at it expecting to find an old dog as the mileage wasnt listed on the autotrader, when I arrived was introduced to a dirty looking cossie with moss growing on the windows!

I had a good look over it (for at least an hour) inspecting all panels, wheels, spare, engine bay, seals underneath etc etc and the interior. The only seat that had been sat in was the drivers as it was his daily drive to work and he didnt trust his wife to drive it! lol

It had all the paperwork including original bill of sale from an RS dealer (which still existed!) and all MOT's, a few bills for tyres and tracking as well as oil changes at Ford every 2000 miles without fail. No major work, the odd wheel bearing but all in all bills in excess of around £5000.00! for minor things. All mileage matched up from stacks of invoices and it had a massive service before I bought it (costing £900.00) which he did as his farewell to the car....his reason for sale:his wife thought it looked grubby on their drive (big house-TVR on drive as well as top spec S class merc)

I contacted the dealership he bought it from and could not believe the sales manager was the trainee salesman who sold him the car! What a small world, another friend of a friend worked at the same place who said he saw most cosworths that were serviced there and left a little mark inside the boot under the carpet to say he had touched it (an original RS dealer sticker) and sure enough...there it was!

So readies in hand I bought it....it drove like new when I collected it and the performance was bang on....boost was perfect and held strong and the experience of driving it home was worth the money. Was chuffed to bits.

Soon got bored after smartening it up nicely until it looked like new, took it on a tour with the missus where we pushed it right to the limit. It never missed a beat and did not lose any oil over and above what it is recommended in the manuals etc etc

Fuel consumption on motorways was pretty good 30mpg most times

If any criticism could be made it was that the suspension could do with new springs and shocks-that said for a 10 year old car it was superb. The dash was a bit dated (even though it was the face lifted dashboard with rounded dials and not the square ones on the older cossies)

The leather was spotless and all in all it was an experience well worth the money the missus invested in the car. I kept it for approximately 10k where I decided I would of been running it into the ground as my work mileage got silly....I felt sorry for it and knew that someone else would appreciate it more than me

Luxury pack stereo has amp and CD player was good enough for me

Insurance for the year was very cheap! Needed a tracker though, and cat 1 fitted

The best bit, I got a grand more back than I paid for it.....it cost me the following

1)Fuel
2)New headlamp bulbs
3)Oil Service
4)New rev counter (this was about £160.00 main dealer fitted)
5)Performance air filter (£50.00) to help it breath
6)£100.00 in cleaning products

Oh and in a years scoob ownership It has cost us:-

1)Service £250.00
2)Oil service £100.00
3)Tyres £400.00
4)New clutch (warranty through dealer but could of been £400.00)
5)Fuel
6)Better stereo

LOL

I later a year or so on bought another K plate, with slightly more miles (similar history with all bills etc etc) but running around 300bhp on an Ahmed Bajoo chip with full stainless and green injectors etc etc......that cost me £5000.00 and I sold it 6 months on (after the summer of fun) for £5500.00 and this one cost me nothing....but bills were on their way (hence selling)

Find a nice one, owned by someone middle aged or elderley who has kept it well and spent ££££ on it whenever needed and didnt scrimp on parts from halfords...they are around, are very rare and you need a keen eye...but they are out there

Some say you buy a cossie you need the same money you paid for it to repair it....not in my case I didnt, but then I was fussy and lucky too

Good luck
Have also owned a saph 4x4 cossie, mpg quite good, must agree.

Last edited by richie rich; 30 March 2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 31 March 2005, 09:42 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Haven't owned a cossie, the attraction was never there for some reason, but I have owned the same XR4x4 now for the past 10 years, no the chassis isn't as outright capable as a scoob, but for smiles per mile it knocks a scoob into a cocked hat

On a damp day if both the Scoob & Sierra are insured & taxed it's always the Sierra that's first choice and it's the same choice if a long distance is involved, with the possible exception of Olly's AX (honestly), the Sierra has easily the comfiest driving position & seats of any car I have ever driven, and that list includes MB's, Jaguars, etc.
Old 31 March 2005, 09:52 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

I had G Reg 2wd black one back in 1998, spent six months trying to find a decent one in the end managed to persuade my friend to part with his for £8000 which was top money but he had owned the car for eight years so I knew the history and its was very well looked after. It was standard so felt a little underpowered off the line to be honest but a very well equipped car. My life changed however when a year later a guy who I worked with took me out in his 95 WRX and it was quick as, soon after the cossie went in favour of an 96 STI and there was no comparison really.

Still good cars though if you can find a decent one!

good luck

Gary
Old 31 March 2005, 09:56 AM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Cris has a good point actually, on a long m-way drive with the leather recaros and the sun roof open the 10 year old dagenham dustbin was a nice place to be
Old 31 March 2005, 02:06 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Showing their age a bit now though aren't they - that dashboard is a disgrace! (well, it was at the time too!!! )
Old 31 March 2005, 07:45 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I have a rare radient red j reg 4x4 with cloth tucked away in a garage somewere with a blown engine, its been there for 6 years since dad took it off me for gettin banned

I have said since last year its going to be rebuilt & used as a 2nd car

I will do it !!

Mate if you want one get one, there wicked
Old 01 April 2005, 08:36 AM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Had a 2wd Stage 3 Saff a few years ago. Sold it to buy a scoob and have regretted it since. (although loved the scoob too)

If you can put up with the dated interior, then go for it.
Most fun i've ever had.
Old 01 April 2005, 09:28 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
Showing their age a bit now though aren't they - that dashboard is a disgrace! (well, it was at the time too!!! )
Peugeot 205 dashes on the other hand, were the epitome of style and ergonomic design And those Luurrvelly red carpets just kept the interior design within the bounds of taste did they
Old 01 April 2005, 09:39 AM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Peugeot 205 dashes on the other hand, were the epitome of style and ergonomic design And those Luurrvelly red carpets just kept the interior design within the bounds of taste did they
Almost as tastefull as the red carpets in an MG Metro !
Old 01 April 2005, 12:52 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

don't knock the 205, it is still an exceptional car to drive.
Old 01 April 2005, 01:02 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam M
don't knock the 205, it is still an exceptional car to drive.
Totally, not denying that.
Cracking cars. Always wish i'd bought one.
Old 02 April 2005, 03:14 PM
Hammoc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by King Eric
I have owned two 4x4 cossie sapphires........

..........Some say you buy a cossie you need the same money you paid for it to repair it....not in my case I didnt, but then I was fussy and lucky too

Good luck
Great story mate Sounds like you've been very lucky.

Always fancied a Cossie - trouble was so did all the light fingered scum - which meant insurance got silly and at the time I was young - well younger than I am now
Old 02 April 2005, 06:03 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

couple of mates have got 4x4`s and they love em to bits,always moaning on about scoobys and how they hate em but still keep coming round lol,both of these have got konis on so cant really comment on ride quality and neither are std power but love em both,tho still dont know wether i`d part with my scooby for either of them.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...CT0012cool.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...006jayscoz.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/PICT0009.jpg
Old 02 April 2005, 07:01 PM
MADRod
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
Still being used as Taxi's (Just getting my own back on the PassionFord lot)

I've just got shot of a 500+bhp RS500.... loverly car but too much power!

Cracking cars for the money (Saph's), easily tunable and seem to attract the enthusiast. These cars have the allegance that I hope some day the Subaru Marque will catch up with.

I wouldnt like to compare a current day car handling wise with a Saph though.

Regards,
Shaun.
Not enough Power by the sound of it . Try 750+ bhp in a rwd like mine.
Actually if you spend the dosh it can be made to handle as well.
Passion Ford is watching you.
Rod
ps. They can do 200mph as well so dont knock-um.

Last edited by MADRod; 02 April 2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03 April 2005, 09:28 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ukdave
couple of mates have got 4x4`s and they love em to bits,always moaning on about scoobys and how they hate em but still keep coming round lol,both of these have got konis on so cant really comment on ride quality and neither are std power but love em both,tho still dont know wether i`d part with my scooby for either of them.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...CT0012cool.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...006jayscoz.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/PICT0009.jpg
Bet your neighbours love you Nice pics mind
Old 03 April 2005, 03:48 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Not a saph, but my old 3-door Cosworth was the best car I ever owned. Probably the best car I will ever own tbh.
Bought it off a concours freak and spent the next 2 1/2 years ragging the life out of it. It put up with untold abuse and the only things that went wrong was the rocker cover gasket and it once ate a sparkplug which required a full new set.

Compare that with 2 1/2 of the best years of my driving to date and it was peanuts.
Gloriously driveable, unbelieveably quick, awsome looks and sideways whenever you wanted it.
Poor quality pic I know, but this proabably sums up what my 3-door ownership was all about

astraboy.
Old 03 April 2005, 06:05 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

How much have you gota spend to get one up to around 400lbft?
How do they compare to the scoob in this respect? Cheaper i suspect.
Old 03 April 2005, 07:53 PM
MADRod
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leviathan
How much have you gota spend to get one up to around 400lbft?
How do they compare to the scoob in this respect? Cheaper i suspect.
Engine Power wise my own conversion cost circa 15k. Made 630bhp/520ft-lb add a 130shot of Nitrous & its very very fast. However its the other parts that cost the money as the standard Cossie bits fall apart above 400 horses.
It cost at least another 15k to make it bullet proof so that the Power could be abused.
Not sure if this is cheap compared to a Scoob. Does the Scoob parts fall apart above 400bhp as well, I guess they do.
Rod