Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Who's had an Alfa 146?

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2005, 07:03 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Who's had an Alfa 146?

I just noticed these the other day whilst brousing through the auto trader etc.....

What are they like in terms of reliability? Do they do a few miles or just fall apart? Quite like the look of 'em tbh as my current caar's too small, but I've never had an Alfa before, so not sure. Just looking to upgrade from the heap I drive at the moment, but not back into Scoob territory yet

What are the engines like? Flat 4, by looking at them... Does it sound like a scoob? If I do, I'd be going for the 2 litre 150bhp one, which on paper at least, looks good enough, and insurance isn't too bad either.

Is the driving position ok, or a bit long reaching like others I've been in? (Personal preference I suppose, but there'll be a general concensus as to whether it's **** or good)

Ta.
Old 29 March 2005, 07:31 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Franx
I just noticed these the other day whilst brousing through the auto trader etc.....

What are they like in terms of reliability? Do they do a few miles or just fall apart? Quite like the look of 'em tbh as my current caar's too small, but I've never had an Alfa before, so not sure. Just looking to upgrade from the heap I drive at the moment, but not back into Scoob territory yet

What are the engines like? Flat 4, by looking at them... Does it sound like a scoob? If I do, I'd be going for the 2 litre 150bhp one, which on paper at least, looks good enough, and insurance isn't too bad either.

Is the driving position ok, or a bit long reaching like others I've been in? (Personal preference I suppose, but there'll be a general concensus as to whether it's **** or good)

Ta.
Haven't had a 146 but have a mate who swears by them - don't bother with the flat four engined ones - it's simply not up to the job, the same engine is fine in a much lighter 33 but really struggles with the weight of the 146. The 2 litre 150/155 bhp is an inline 4 and from what I've seen it does make a resonably rapid car with tons of space, my mates just replaced his after an engine blew at 140 odd K and reckons he can fit more in it that his wifes 156 sportwagon.
Old 29 March 2005, 07:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

fancy the 8c competizione myself......
Old 29 March 2005, 07:38 PM
147_TS
Scooby Regular

owned 146 with inline 4, done 123.000 miles without any hassles, dunno whether I was lucky or what, but the car was reliable... nothing ever broke down, the only thing it needed was petrol and oil

oh and the driving position - im 6ft 1in and the seats were quite comfy IMO, but dont even ask about rear passenger's space

Last edited by 147_TS; 29 March 2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old 29 March 2005, 09:20 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by 147_TS
owned 146 with inline 4, done 123.000 miles without any hassles, dunno whether I was lucky or what, but the car was reliable... nothing ever broke down, the only thing it needed was petrol and oil
oh and the driving position - im 6ft 1in and the seats were quite comfy IMO, but dont even ask about rear passenger's space
Sounds good That's what I was wondering really - whether or not they'd reach those sort of miles before dying like my justy's about to do..... Most of the one's I'm looking at are about the 60-90k mark at the moment - not really that much by today's standards I suppose.

I'm sure the driving position'll be ok. Better go for a drive in one and see

Originally Posted by dpb
fancy the 8c competizione myself......
Could just see that with a board strapped to the roof and a few bikes inside I wonder how much they are
Old 30 March 2005, 01:55 PM
147_TS
Scooby Regular

to put all things on the right track - Alfa 146 really IS realiable... but only, ONLY if it is well looked after... this car is like a woman - you dont treat her gently and she will let you down; if you pay her enough attention and treat her properly, you will have a rock-stable relationship full of love I have seen plenty of 146s which broke down at 50.000 miles or so... but dont ask me about their owners Be really careful when buying a used Alfa cuz some of them suffered a lot and were ignored!!!
Old 03 April 2005, 10:45 PM
N3 DOO
Scooby Regular

great car for the money, yes go for the 2.0 Ti twin spark with a full history, loads of fun great sound and a bit of wolf in sheeps cloving lol
Old 03 April 2005, 11:42 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Look somewhere else if I was you.

I had one - 146Ti 2.0 16v twin cam 150bhp.

Bought it with 60k, fell apart within 2 years.

What was that quote: 'You are not a car enthusiast until you have owned an Alfa Romeo'.

Been there and will not go back.

In perfect condition, it was an interesting, reasonably quick (if you like screwing the **** of engines) car. I looked after it well enough, but not religously and it fell apart and was worth **** all when I sold it.
Old 04 April 2005, 06:01 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

i owned one for about a year,in that year i went through 3 engines!then promptly sold the thing.i must admit though ,the alfa is a lovely car both inside and out,flawless looks.but as a car driven on british roads everyday id go for something a little more rugged.personally IF i was ever tempted again id get the alfa brand new so that i knew that the "over engineered"lump of metal under the bonnet was looked after properly.
Old 04 April 2005, 07:03 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by StiX
What was that quote: 'You are not a car enthusiast until you have owned an Alfa Romeo'.
That's the thing - they are all nice cars as well, and I would quite like one at some stage - but perhaps not if it's going to eat engines like that. Were they all new ones though?

That said, I looked at a 147 a while ago, not with a view to buying, I might add, and I wasn't overly impressed by the wobbliness of the gear change. Seemed a bit flimsy, if very nice otherwise.

Is the 155 any better, or are they all scrap by now?
Old 04 April 2005, 07:10 PM
logbrog
Scooby Regular

155 widebody with sportpack is a cracker
still a few about if your prepared to hunt around

150 bhp 16v engines are great so long as you check oil regularly
consumption of 1 litre per 1000 miles is normal