Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Carrera GT smashed up on my way home.

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2004, 08:12 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera GT smashed up on my way home.

I just drove down the A3 near Putney, London, and on the other side of the road pointing in the wrong direction was a brand spanking new Porker GT with a ruddy great hole smashed on the front being loaded onto a flat bed.

How do you spin a car on an empty road going in a straight line!! Arf arf, poor fella - he'll be getting some stick from his mates!
Old 26 December 2004, 09:39 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

What colour was it?
Old 26 December 2004, 11:28 PM
New_scooby_04

"he'll be getting some stick from his mates!"

I think he'll have to have sold his mates long ago to have been able to afford that car! :-)

Poor guy or girl!!

Best.
Old 27 December 2004, 03:43 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Rumour has it that 2 GT's were smashed by Porsche test drivers at the 'ring. Nice cars, shame you have to have the talent of Walter Rorhl to drive them fast.

Craig
Old 27 December 2004, 05:00 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

It was silver or grey looked like, I was on three lanes joining into four from round a bout feed off lane. He was on the other side of the barrier heading towards central London. I could only glance up a few times to look.

Looked stunning, but facing wrong way, big whole in front right side where the headlight used to be. Law was there, and a flat bed. I had my camera I was tempted to go and photograph it, but I thought the police probably wouldn't let me stop, and the driver might not be too impressed either.

Unlucky, but tis generally good practice to take it easy in a new car first in the rain, especially one with so many zero's in the price tag!
Old 28 December 2004, 07:19 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mynickers
How do you spin a car on an empty road going in a straight line!! Arf arf,
Pendulous Porsche + Road surface + .... you know the rest.

Locally, there's a fine gentle bend on a dual carriageway which I, and no doubt many others enjoy ... shall we say .. traversing.

During the less than perfect road conditions over the past few weeks, a Porsche, BMW 5 highspec summat and a tasty Supra (all rear wheel drive IIRC) have collided with the central Armco, spun and bounced into the nearside hedge..... severe front and rear damage from Armco and Fence hedge contact and very sad looking cars on grass verge.

I wonder if their drivers are now a little wiser?
Old 28 December 2004, 07:41 PM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MGJohn
Pendulous Porsche + Road surface + .... you know the rest.

Locally, there's a fine gentle bend on a dual carriageway which I, and no doubt many others enjoy ... shall we say .. traversing.

During the less than perfect road conditions over the past few weeks, a Porsche, BMW 5 highspec summat and a tasty Supra (all rear wheel drive IIRC) have collided with the central Armco, spun and bounced into the nearside hedge..... severe front and rear damage from Armco and Fence hedge contact and very sad looking cars on grass verge.

I wonder if their drivers are now a little wiser?
Sounds to me like that particular stretch of road needs to get improved, either surface/signage upgrades or geometry changes.
Old 29 December 2004, 01:32 AM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slim_boy_fat
Sounds to me like that particular stretch of road needs to get improved, either surface/signage upgrades or geometry changes.
These were all 'solo' incidents - no other vehicles involved. Could it simply be they were pressing on in a fashion which may have been safe there the day before, but on that day changed weather conditions demanded adjustments to allow for those changes. Marks on the Armco, road surface, grass verge and where the car came to rest were quite clear - Police taking measurements which would provide them with a better picture of what had caused these incidents. A casual observer would not need to take measurements .....

In a TV interview, I once saw a driver involved in a multiple motorway pile up in the first fog of autumn mention that there was no fog there the day before ......
Old 29 December 2004, 09:42 AM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

These were all 'solo' incidents - no other vehicles involved. Could it simply be they were pressing on in a fashion which may have been safe there the day before, but on that day changed weather conditions demanded adjustments to allow for those changes. Marks on the Armco, road surface, grass verge and where the car came to rest were quite clear - Police taking measurements which would provide them with a better picture of what had caused these incidents. A casual observer would not need to take measurements .....

In a TV interview, I once saw a driver involved in a multiple motorway pile up in the first fog of autumn mention that there was no fog there the day before ......
Makes no difference if they were solo accidents, the whole point of good road design is to provide enough information about the road and its surface to the driver to negotiate a bend. Not know the bend I question it’s had to say, but if the road surface is very poor then that could clearly be a contributing factor, poor drainage could too. And again maybe there needs to be more signage stating sharp bend, slippery surface etc etc.

You have to try and help even the most unworthy of holding a driving licence negotiate the road network you know.
Old 29 December 2004, 05:32 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
lol, a C GT is hardly pendulous is it though, i'd imagine it has near perfect weight distribution and pretty foolproof PSM as well.

You can only guess what happend though really. For all we know some kids threw something at the car and caused him to swerve/spin/lose control, or an animal, or a tyre blow,or another car hit him/roadrage incident caused him to crash......or any number of things........
Indeed, but does make you wonder, and it's hard to resist a slight sneer at someone smashing up such a fantastically expensive car. I'd say it had fantastic traction, but for example droping down a couple of gears in high revs might be enough to unsettle it. Handle with care I would imagine is the sensible thing to do until you'd got used to it. But could even dare I say it of been a mechanical failure!
Old 29 December 2004, 06:12 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

... but for example dropping down a couple of gears in high revs might be enough to unsettle it. Handle with care ..... ...
Precisely! From my own personal observations, certain cars have an 'aura' about them which lulls some unsuspecting owners with less shall we say 'nouse' into a sense of false security ... seen it with my own eyes - and been a 'concerned' passenger at other times too ...

"Hey, it's a Subaru/Porsche/BMW/(You name it) ... this is not supposed to happen."

There's some superb roads down my way. That particular stretch of road I pass regularly through sometimes twice a day. Have done for twenty years or so ..... I love it and on one occasion, it caught me out but my car soon regained composure so no harm done. I experienced a massive release of adreniline shortly after .... the like of which I've not experienced before or since .... I thought I knew my car well ... not on that occasion ...I know it better now ... hence my 'wiser' comment ....

By the way, no 'sneer' element involved from this particular observer .... like some folks do ... there but for .. and all that. Even when seeing some newish, very expensive highly regarded car stranded on the hard shoulder bonnet up steaming away nicely .... the poor owner sensibly sat up on the bank..... 'appens.

Last edited by MGJohn; 29 December 2004 at 06:18 PM.
Old 30 December 2004, 02:18 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

well someone in the pub says it was in the paper, but he is convinced it was a boxing day test drive!!! Didn't think they did those on boxing day - but hey!
Old 30 December 2004, 09:33 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

I know someone in the vehicle repo business and some of the stories I hear are amazing.
A guy got out of having his 456GT Ferrari repo'd by selling it to a "mate" dealer who paid off the finance company, but then sent his son to collect the car. The son wrote off the 456 within 400 yards of picking up the car, destroying it on a lamppost. The guy who had just handed over the keys saw it on his way home.
Another repo agent was returning something similar to the yard, and was accelerating onto an M'way slip road - gave it the full welly without the front wheels straight and had a brown-trouser moment. He drove the rest of the way at 40 mph.
It just shows what you can do with 4/5/600hp under your right foot if you're foolish and don't give the car the respect it commands.
Old 31 December 2004, 12:19 AM
Hammoc
Scooby Regular

...a brand spanking new Porker GT with a ruddy great hole smashed on the front being loaded onto a flat bed.
Ouch
Old 31 December 2004, 01:04 AM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mungo
MUCH SNIPPED >>>
It just shows what you can do with 4/5/600hp under your right foot if you're foolish and don't give the car the respect it commands.
So very true. Near where I live is one of the Nation's Major Car Salvage companies. Most of the stuff they get in there are from the Motor Insurance Companies - it's a real eyeopener. Everything from DBs, XJ220s, Vauxhall Lotus Carlton (Banana shaped - wrapped round a tree), you name it to totalled Ferraris with a mere few hundred miles on the clock. What puzzles me is why so many teutonic marques are there with obvious signs of severe engine fires .... Mercs, BMWs Porsches ... amazing, or maybe their formers owners were careless smokers - now carless smokers...

New Year's Eve Already ...

Happy New Year - and Safety Fast MotorinG whatever you drive.
Old 31 December 2004, 09:40 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

. What puzzles me is why so many teutonic marques are there with obvious signs of severe engine fires .... Mercs, BMWs Porsches ...
Interesting comment - my brother's Boxster S caught fire in the carpark (hardstanding) at Brands Hatch for no apparent reason. Is there any pattern to this behaviour?
Old 31 December 2004, 11:01 AM
AJF
Scooby Regular

had a customer in the middle east who destroyed one on the way home from the dealer and went back and ordered another one
far to much money and time on his hands if you ask me

Adrian