Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mitsubishi Evo advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2004, 02:46 PM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mitsubishi Evo advice please.

I'm thinking of changing to an Evo 6 and would like a bit of advice.
What is the build quality like do they rattle and squeek like the scoobies after a few miles?
Are they reliable, do they have any serious problems?
Cheers.
Old 06 December 2004, 02:52 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by barrybudden
What is the build quality like do they rattle and squeek like the scoobies after a few miles?
Cheers.
Check out lancerregister.com

If you PM me I can let you know about the experiences I had running a low mileage Evo 6GSR last year.

Richard
Old 06 December 2004, 03:43 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by barrybudden
Cheers.
Build quality is as good as, if not slightly better than the equivalent Scooby (from experience)

They are very reliable. The engines are good for over 400bhp & 400lb/ft with standard internals.

Over 450 odd lb/ft the AYC diff will start to struggle, but the RS diff is very very strong

Fuel consumption is no worse than a Scooby - the tank is a lot smaller though so expect frequent stops.

The service intervals are only 4500 miles for the AYC and engine is 9k.

Feel free to sk any more q's
Old 06 December 2004, 05:01 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

You need to take a look on here mate http://www.lancer-evo.net/community/ We'll give you all the advice you need
dave
Old 06 December 2004, 05:38 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by misty
You need to take a look on here mate http://www.lancer-evo.net/community/ We'll give you all the advice you need
dave
Ding Dang Doo
Old 06 December 2004, 06:01 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I ran an Evo 6 from new for just under 2 years. The only problem I had with it was with a dud battery. Build quality seemed better than the classic impreza I had previously - the plastics were of better quality and it didn't rattle or squeak. The standard brakes were meant to be a weak link of the car and reports of warped discs were quite common, but I didn't personally experience this.

Gary.
Old 07 December 2004, 11:56 AM
George W Bush
BANNED

I had a '99 GSR and had no problems at all, although it did squeak and rattle but it is after all 5 years old. A great car as a toy but as a daily driver I found it annoyed me 95% of the time, ride was very hard unless you were ragging the **** off it.

Oh had to put up with crowds of schoolboys every time it was parked (once came out of a meeting and there must have been 30 of them around it..found it a tad embarrassing)

Also didnt really like the fact that everyone thought I was a major drug dealer.
Old 07 December 2004, 03:35 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by George W Bush
Oh had to put up with crowds of schoolboys every time it was parked (once came out of a meeting and there must have been 30 of them around it..found it a tad embarrassing)
That was one of the reasons i sold the subaru
Old 08 December 2004, 08:32 AM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Should I be worried about buying a car that has just been imported from Japan with me being the 1st UK owner? I know that they all come from the same factory, but it the service history in Japanese if its even there at all that would make me wary. Also will the importer be able to checkif the car has been stolen/has finance oweing on it from the previous keeper?
Old 08 December 2004, 08:46 AM
Darbo_wrx
Scooby Regular

they get checked in japan for being stolen when the de reg cert is issued then customs check the car before it leaves japan

you should have no problems as safe as buying any seconhand car(probly less chance of a jap import being dodgy imho)
Old 09 December 2004, 01:13 PM
Eddy T
Scooby Newbie

Have just finished running in period on a new Evo 8 260 having swapped from a MY03 WRX. First impressions are:

Dashboard squeaks where WRX didn't - this is annoying
Stereo is just as cheap and poor quality as Subaru - looks awful too with daft graphic display
Seats are just as comfortable and supportive - quality itemsSteering wheel is slightly nicer
Plastics seem pretty good, no worse than Subaru
Slightly more road noise from tyres but OK to live with
Fifth gear accelaration is nicer than WRX - makes me smile on motorways - easy to hit 120 without noticing
Ride is very harsh at low speeds but feels fine over 50. makes teeth rattle pottering around town.
Fast cornering makes me grim more than the WRX did
Gear change feels nicer. Feels easier to do smooth fast changes. Don't know why.
Car follows any tamlines in the road, need both hands on steerign wheel
Miss the Subaru warble at high revs - engine definitely doesn't sound as good
Windscreen washer bottle is in the boot which pleased my wife as she's no reason to ever lift the bonnet now
Brakes feel slightly sharper but that's probably just cos they're new
Wheels (Enkei) and brakes (red brembo) look gorgeous
Car definitely turns heads - wife likes the attention of young lads when she's at the garage
Wing mirrors are bigger and better
Headlights aren't as good - miss the driving lights of the WRX
Reversing light is too dim
Really miss the 'auto' air con of the WRX. Evo is manual only.
No problems with cold starts so far.
Car has same thirst for Super Unleaded as WRX.
Turning circle feels really crap! Must be the big wheels.
Car is rare - have only seen one other in first thousand miles

Overall I don't regret swapping at all apart fromthe squeaky dashboard. Haven't ever driven a WRX STi but am guessing that might give you the best of all worlds.
Old 09 December 2004, 01:22 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

I didn't realise they were manual air con!! My V has auto in it just assumed all the rest had. My dashboard rattles like a skeleton in a biscuit tin!! All in all though which do you prefer? I have to admit the scoob was better on long runs (quieter) but the evo still does it day to day for me.................................YET
dave
Old 09 December 2004, 01:30 PM
Eddy T
Scooby Newbie

The 300, 320 and 340 all have 'auto' aircon but the little 260 doesn't.

WRX is the better car but Evo makes me grin more.
Old 10 December 2004, 09:18 AM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Well looks like its going to be the scooby. Saw a mint my 02 STI prodrive style with ppp 1 owner in a garage for £16495. The only bugger is hes not ofering much for my classic wagon. Still swings and round-a-bouts.
Old 10 December 2004, 09:47 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eddy T
Have just finished running in period on a new Evo 8 260 having swapped from a MY03 WRX. First impressions are:

Dashboard squeaks where WRX didn't - this is annoying
Stereo is just as cheap and poor quality as Subaru - looks awful too with daft graphic display
Seats are just as comfortable and supportive - quality itemsSteering wheel is slightly nicer
Plastics seem pretty good, no worse than Subaru
Slightly more road noise from tyres but OK to live with
Fifth gear accelaration is nicer than WRX - makes me smile on motorways - easy to hit 120 without noticing
Ride is very harsh at low speeds but feels fine over 50. makes teeth rattle pottering around town.
Fast cornering makes me grim more than the WRX did
Gear change feels nicer. Feels easier to do smooth fast changes. Don't know why.
Car follows any tamlines in the road, need both hands on steerign wheel
Miss the Subaru warble at high revs - engine definitely doesn't sound as good
Windscreen washer bottle is in the boot which pleased my wife as she's no reason to ever lift the bonnet now
Brakes feel slightly sharper but that's probably just cos they're new
Wheels (Enkei) and brakes (red brembo) look gorgeous
Car definitely turns heads - wife likes the attention of young lads when she's at the garage
Wing mirrors are bigger and better
Headlights aren't as good - miss the driving lights of the WRX
Reversing light is too dim
No problems with cold starts so far.
Car has same thirst for Super Unleaded as WRX.
Turning circle feels really crap! Must be the big wheels.
Car is rare - have only seen one other in first thousand miles

Overall I don't regret swapping at all apart fromthe squeaky dashboard. Haven't ever driven a WRX STi but am guessing that might give you the best of all worlds.

Change your tyres, fit a Blitz Nur spec and get your dealer to fix the rattle, job done.

If you can get hold of a set of HID's from an FQ, well worth it.
Old 10 December 2004, 10:03 PM
Eddy T
Scooby Newbie

Question

You're talking to complete beginner here. What's an HID?
Old 10 December 2004, 10:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HID= High intensity gas discharge (headlights) those ones that really annoy you at night as they blind you

Tony
Old 11 December 2004, 07:49 AM
NewAgeWRX
Scooby Regular

Talking

I pick my new 260 up today !!!!!

I had 3 cars on my list for trial - 2005 STi (UK), EVO VIII 260 and a VX220 turbo.

Went round 3 dealers and knew after sitting in a VX that I wouldnt be getting one of those - very good trackday/fun car , but zero practicality - didnt bother with test drive.

Off to subaru dealer. The STi is nice. I also have 'brand loyalty' to scoobs, had my 02 WRX for 2 years from new and has been great, love them to bits. A few things put me off though - gold wheels, spoiler and scoop, are meat to some folks - poisen to me. Some will slate me for saying, but I like the looks of the WRX far better than the STi. Performance is good but strange, seems 'peaky' not much at all below 4000 rpm. Picks up fast after 4000 though and handling is better than WRX too. DCCD is ok but novelty would soon wear off.
Cost = ~£26k

Last to see was the 260. First impressions was that it looks alot nicer that newage scoobs. Perfect for me, subtle and understated (relativly ;-) ). Test drive - Suspension is ROCK hard, makes my 02 wrx feel like a rubber dingey, but I like it like that. Straight line performance is certainly better, easily faster than a WRX low down and at least a match if not slightly better than an STi up top, but its the handling that REALLY make you sit up. The cornering potential after jumping out of a scoob is absolutly mind blowing - feels like it will NEVER let go, ever, with no 'washout' that the WRX and STi to a lesser extent suffer. Cost, well - if the 260 and the STi were the same price I would have just given the 260 the nod, but very close. BUT the 260 is on offer at £19995 and this really makes it a VERY easy choice.

Summing up - To get the STi how I would like it, I would probably have to add PPP and prodrive springs. The 260 is prettymuch perfect out of the box, really cant think of much that it would need, maybe an exhaust and filter but thats about it. Quick check of the lap times of bedford aerodrome circuit that EVO magazine use say EVO VIII 260= 1.23.10 - VX220 turbo= 1.23.55 - STi with PPP= 1.25.15 - WRX= 1.28.35

EVO mag tested the 260 as 0-60 in 5.6 and 0-100 in 13.8 and thats with an ' inteligent' rev limiter that wont let you launch how the testers normally do (max revs and clutch sidestep) - which is fine by me as I wouldnt ever do that to a car that I owned myself anyway.

ROLL ON 09:30 is all I can say !!!!! ;-)

edited to say- mitsi dealer is giving me £11,000 for my car - 02WRX, not brilliant but ok, what says you ?

Andy

Last edited by NewAgeWRX; 11 December 2004 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11 December 2004, 11:38 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Congrats, what colour?

Oh and www.lancerregister.com
Old 11 December 2004, 03:59 PM
Eddy T
Scooby Newbie

How'd you get it at that price?

My 260 cost me £21K 2 weeks ago with £11,750 trade-in on an 03 WRX!

Any chance you could do my dealer negotiations next time?
Old 11 December 2004, 05:10 PM
NewAgeWRX
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Eddy T
How'd you get it at that price?

My 260 cost me £21K 2 weeks ago with £11,750 trade-in on an 03 WRX!

Any chance you could do my dealer negotiations next time?

Id actually gone down to have a look at new MR FQ300's but they only had the 260 in the showroom and were awaiting stock of 300's so I thought what the hell, ill have a look/test drive in the 260. Before we went out the sales guy (who has been superb throughout) said that the 260's were on offer at the moment £19995 or £22995 inc. 3 yrs servicing. After the test drive, to say I was shocked at the performance/handling for the money is a massive understatement. Ive never been in ANY new car that even comes close as a full package for 20 grand.

Im sure the FQ's are better still of course, but the 'bang for the buck' of this thing is unbelievable. SO down to buisiness - Basic price was £19995, he wanted to charge me for metalic paint, I said errrr nope, he said ok. Even managed to get a free full set of RalliArt mats thrown in LOL. Signed up straight away, car was ordered and was here a week later.

After reading a little about them on MLR it seems they are under-rated powerwise and all those tested make over 280 BHP with the norm been 285-287. Certainly feels like it.

Out of interest what number did you get? - mines 0715

Pics are posted in the members gallery here

Andy

Last edited by NewAgeWRX; 11 December 2004 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Fix link
Old 11 December 2004, 05:23 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Less than £20k for an evo
Thats an amazing price!
The car you should be comparing it with is a standard WRX
No contest IMHO, would leave it for dead!
I went for an MR FQ340 which is a great car but not that much quicker in the real world than a 260 and over-priced in comparison.
Enjoy!
Old 11 December 2004, 06:59 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

New age you need to sign up here mate for the full Evo experience!!! Just say Kurgen sent you for a discount on membership.
dave http://www.lancer-evo.net/community/
Old 11 December 2004, 07:05 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Just say Kurgen sent you for a discount on membership.
Old 11 December 2004, 07:08 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Just say Kurgen sent you for a discount on membership.
Well it was worth a try
dave
Old 12 December 2004, 02:01 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobycar60
Less than £20k for an evo
Thats an amazing price!
The car you should be comparing it with is a standard WRX
No contest IMHO, would leave it for dead!
I went for an MR FQ340 which is a great car but not that much quicker in the real world than a 260 and over-priced in comparison.
Enjoy!
must be just me then... went cash in hand ( well loan forms filled ) liked every thing about the evo 260 with the free servicing etc the sales man kept saying how the car is more like 280 bhp etc etc went for a test drive and ooops found it to be noticibly slower than my modded 02 wrx (headers,full exhaust and remap ) found my self watching the revs climb and climb with no real grunt ( on a road i know well), yes I agree thay have a much more linear power curve and the seats, brakes and handling were superb but the idea was to buy a car I has happy with and not to mod and this was not it , I was so dissapointed

yes I only had 30 mins behind the wheel and after a few days etc I might have changed my mind, I still drive past the garage just to have a look

Its my own fault if i hadn't spent money hand over fist on my wrx making the car just how I wanted it, Im sure it would be a different story

went to have a gander at a 05 sti today and still can't bring me self to swap -
think i will keep mine for a few years yet..
Old 12 December 2004, 09:05 AM
Eddy T
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by NewAgeWRX
Id actually gone down to have a look at new MR FQ300's but they only had the 260 in the showroom and were awaiting stock of 300's so I thought what the hell, ill have a look/test drive in the 260. Before we went out the sales guy (who has been superb throughout) said that the 260's were on offer at the moment £19995 or £22995 inc. 3 yrs servicing.

Out of interest what number did you get? - mines 0715
Phew! I did go for the 3 year servicing deal aswell which seems vfm as it's needed so often. I can relax now in knowing that although I didn't get quite as good a deal I wasn't totally ripped off.

I think it's number 0837 which seems to be the one thing everyone who's been in it things is dead cool when they see the plaque. They assume there's only 837 other Evos in the world!

I too just bought the car that was in the showroom cos it was black and wife loves black cars (it's registered and insured in her name cos surprise, surprise - it's cheaper).

Got Ralliart mats thrown in but couldn't get them to do mudflaps (some love em, some hate em. I just wanna keep the paintwork in good nick). Free gap insurance was the final thing they gave us when we were about to walk out of the showroom for the third time.

Miss the flat-four burble but love going ridiculously fast round bends!

Ed
Old 12 December 2004, 09:15 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NewAgeWRX
. Quick check of the lap times of bedford aerodrome circuit that EVO magazine use say EVO VIII 260= 1.23.10 - VX220 turbo= 1.23.55 - STi with PPP= 1.25.15 - WRX= 1.28.35
Evo actually state the 260 round bedford in 1:31.05, thats from this months evo magazine, though the track was damp in places.

Tony
Old 12 December 2004, 09:46 AM
NewAgeWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Evo actually state the 260 round bedford in 1:31.05, thats from this months evo magazine, though the track was damp in places.

Tony
Correct, but that is on the 'new' track layout, which they recon adds around 7 seconds to most cars laptimes.

The time I quoted for the 260 was around the 'old' track layout, same as all the other cars I quoted were tested on. This bares out as 1.31 - 0.07 = about 1.24 which isnt bad if there were some wet patches to contend with.

Check here for more INFO

Last edited by NewAgeWRX; 12 December 2004 at 10:31 AM.