Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Thinking of buying a Subaru Justy?

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2004, 12:47 AM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a Subaru Justy?

As above, there are a few about for less than 500 GBP.
I used to have a 205TD to get work and back (80 mile round trip) but I did a 180 spin in bad weather and the wheel is on a funny angle so I will get rid.

So what are these little cars like?
Relable?
Good on fuel?

Thanks in advance

Scott
Old 01 December 2004, 12:56 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Not good on fuel I don't think, due to having a small engine and four wheel drive.
Old 01 December 2004, 01:16 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

They are rubbish, don't bother. I had one for 4 weeks as a courtesy car and it was a piece of junk.
Old 01 December 2004, 01:18 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Why is this in 'Other Marques' ?
Old 01 December 2004, 02:26 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I drive one every time the scoob is in for a service, its erm - fun?

The dash is a bit aggricultural, the engine I think is a 1.0 or 1.2 3pot? It does Grrr well when booting it (or sould I say trying to get it to increase speed a bit)

Its 2wd unless you select AWD - big red button on the gearstick Bond style!

Pretty crappy and alot better stuff out there for the money, but for some strange reason I quite enjoy eeking out what little performace there is in the thing. Bulletproof motoring if the example I drive is anything to go by.
Old 01 December 2004, 03:30 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

I just facy one for the relabilty and quirkyness of it!
What MPG were you getting?

Scott
Old 01 December 2004, 03:42 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I don't know the MPG, the one I use is the garages courtesy car - I just bung in a tenner and drive it about for a day or so. I've never done more than 50 miles each time I have it so I always put more petrol in than I use. TBH its quirky for a couple of days but I wouldn't want one for much longer.
Old 01 December 2004, 11:01 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've got one of them at the moment, just to get me to work. And erm...everywhere else. Never thought I'd admit to that
Mine's the 1.2 GLII, on a K plate, which I bought for 600 quid about a month ago. They are basic, but they grow on you. It's being serviced at the moment, and I've got a Daihatsu Charade courtesy car which has the worst driving position imaginable, but strangely enough, I kinda miss the justy. It's not a patch on the Impreza I used to have, but it ain't a bad car. No power steering, or ABS and all that, and the radio is a pile of ****, but it goes fine, economical enough, and the insurance is only 500 quid, which isn't bad around this part of town

I suppose there are better cars for round town & so on, but they're not as interesting. The other stuff I've had as courtesy cars etc - Yaris, Charade etc, aren't even remotely inspiring - just boring as hell..

One other thing - the gearing is ridiculously low - 4000rpm at 60-65mph.... That said, I'm not driving much on the motorway at the moment, so I don't care.

Go for it.
Old 01 December 2004, 11:13 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

BUT, I will be doing most of my milage on the motorway.
I work shifts so Im never in traffic though.

The low gearing may be a bit of a problem.

I may go for a Citroen zx Volcane, I think this may suit my needs better.
Old 02 December 2004, 10:40 AM
Valkeerie
Scooby Regular

I had one for a week when the Impreza had its wheels repainted. The controls were the reverse of the Impreza .... so each time I changed lane I signalled by smearing the windscreen .... and then I'd try to clear the mess by indicating when I'd completed the manouever.

I went through the entire control-dyslexic thang again when the Impreza came back. There's only one thing worse than being a cack-handed idiot in a Justy ... and that is being a cack-handed idiot in a PPP Impreza. Look folks ... nice car, idiot at the wheels.

The Justy reminded me of an old 80s BL mess - a mini, a metro - that you borrowed from your mum and secretely thrashed the **** off. I was quietly surprised at how well it went on the M5 - I never felt too embarrassed by a lack of power, just terrified at doing 90 mph in a baked bean tin. But not as terrified as in the old Reliant Robin (hardcore biker then, no car license) when the front wheel went airborne at 90 mph going down to Exeter.

"Would cabin staff please be seated in preparation for takeoff .... "

Isn't the Justy a Suzuki Swift in AWD drag?
Old 02 December 2004, 01:25 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

I can honestly say it's in the top 3 of worst cars I have ever driven

Felt dangerous and built like a thin piece of tin

Terrible

I mentioned to the dealer (when I returned it after having the impreza servived that day), that he needed to check the tyre pressures as it was wallowing all over the place and turning in about a week late

He checked the pressures whilst I was still there (whilst laughing) and yup...they were all spot on He then said They all do that.....Thank go we don't need to hand these out as courtesy cars for much longer as they really are a heap of ****e

I agree

DO NOT DO IT.....EVER