S14 200sx

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2004, 04:46 PM
allywrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up S14 200sx

Just bought a P reg S14 totally standard and loving it already
Does feel a bit down on power though , am going to check for boost leaks though (IC pipes etc. can crack and is fairly common according to www.sxoc.co.uk which is a good site )
Just wondering if anyone else has had (or still has) one and what you thought of it.
Any problems, what kind of mods did you do etc.
Cheers
Old 23 August 2004, 05:13 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

right my friend just brought which had its boost turned down, after we brought it we decieded to turn the boost up, the guy previously fitted a adjustable waste gate actuator onto it we turned up to max and we were getting bad misfire and hesitation but it was only hitting about 8psi max, so i checked through the pipes and intercooler and found out the pipe wasnt tightened on the pipe from the turbo so i tightend and forgot about adjusting the wastegate actuator arm............we hit nearly 20psi for a brief second nearly blow the engine but boy did it shift hahaha......well my advice is definatly check all houses and get a boost gauge fitted and check the turbo gaskets there prone to failure
Old 23 August 2004, 05:26 PM
allywrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info Cong
Old 23 August 2004, 07:06 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Got any pics, haven't seen one for ages. Are they lower than standard, the standard ones always look a bit high off ground to me, big leaners around the corners too..

How much you pay for what milleage age? (if you don't mind me being nosey - me = car geek / stato)!
Old 23 August 2004, 10:02 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought/thinking about one for track only use, rwd and slipper!!
Cheap too when they a bit doggy!
Old 24 August 2004, 10:04 AM
allywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mynickers
Got any pics, haven't seen one for ages. Are they lower than standard, the standard ones always look a bit high off ground to me, big leaners around the corners too..

How much you pay for what milleage age? (if you don't mind me being nosey - me = car geek / stato)!
Will get some pics up when I can, hopefully sideways
I will get it dropped a bit when I have some cash, but the handling is pretty good in standard form though, it is a tad high for my liking too though .

Paid £2900 for a 74000 mile P plate.
2 owners fsh.
I thought that was not bad
Old 24 August 2004, 11:05 AM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Thats a bargin if its a s14a. Infact its cheap either way. Cool motor,have fun. Make sure you get good tyres on the back straight away, lost my bros s13 due to remoulds on the back.
kam
Old 24 August 2004, 11:10 AM
66 Blue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kammy
Thats a bargin if its a s14a. Infact its cheap either way. Cool motor,have fun. Make sure you get good tyres on the back straight away, lost my bros s13 due to remoulds on the back.
kam
very true even the best of drivers can get it wrong with a RWD car on dodgy tyres just don't drive with your arm out of the window!!!
Old 24 August 2004, 11:15 AM
Raks
Scooby Regular

i had one before the MR.

lovely cars and can cruise all day above 100 leptons...

just be careful of that back end as it'll go out when provoked very easily !

very understated too
Old 24 August 2004, 11:55 AM
allywrx
Scooby Regular

kam
Unfortunately it's not an S14a just an S14
Still a blast to drive though and as you have said, does like to shake it's *** a bit on corners
Will need to get used to this rwd malarky
Old 24 August 2004, 11:17 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by allywrx
Will get some pics up when I can, hopefully sideways
I will get it dropped a bit when I have some cash, but the handling is pretty good in standard form though, it is a tad high for my liking too though .

Paid £2900 for a 74000 mile P plate.
2 owners fsh.
I thought that was not bad
That seems pretty reasonable to me, I hear the engines are pretty sturdy, so 74k is that high if all the servicing has been done.

I considered one myself, they didn't work out that expensive to insure for me for some reason.
Old 25 August 2004, 12:48 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I have been running one since march, they are a lot of fun and surprisingly economical, averaging 30MPG. I have modded it a bit with a decat and FMIC, K&N Panel filter plus changed the dampers and ARB's, installed a boost controller and fuel computer and also installed an uprated fuel pump and FPR. This was going to stay standard. LOL

It's running about 300BHP now, which is very easy to acheive on the stock setup for not a lot of money, parts are a lot cheaper than for the scoob. If you do up the power make sure you go one grade colder on spark plug.

When taking it on track i find the LSD is too soft, it has a tendency to spin the inside wheel up, even in 3rd gear on slicks! The brakes use the same 4 pot calipers as the Impreza up front, so you have the same options with regards to pad upgrades.

The best thing to do is go through the car and see where it needs a bit of attention, bleed the brakes and do a full service, install some brided hoses too as that really improves brake feel on what are quite old and spongy standard brake hoses.

the worst part of the car is the rear suspension subframe assembly, its mounted on silicon filled rubber bushes and this tends to make the rear end floaty and unpredictable. You can buy a kit from whiteline that clamps these bushes to stop them moving around, that improves the handling significantly, its only about £50.

The SXOC is a great resource, well worth a read.

The only real issue so far i have had happened this weekend after i spent the day on track at donington (it was quick enough to play with more powerful cossies, even on stock brakes with some decent EBC pads) , after the last session it was sounding like a tractor and had lost some pickup. The turbo gaskets had blown, quite a common problem. I just spent all afternoon installing new gaskets, its a pain of a job to do, far more involved than swapping a scoobs turbo. My car had already had a new gasket set installed 2 years ago, so it seems to be a weak point on the car. Hopefully they wont need doing again whilst i own it.

the car does need good tyres, i installed some rather grippy marangoni vanto's recently and its now great fun to drive, you can lean on the front end and powerslide the car pretty much anywhere now. On less grippy tyres it was more understeery and harder to slide, so if you want to get the best out of it, do install some high grip tyres, it makes a big diference.
Old 25 August 2004, 08:30 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

John - Glad to hear you've made even more improvements to your car... We're gradually upgrading our 200SX too.

Ours is an S13 (obviously). Now with FMIC, uprated fuel pump, boost upgrade, colder plugs, 335mm discs and big calipers up front, interior soon to be stripped out and replaced with decent lightweight bucket seats and harnesses.

Damn sight more fun than our Impreza or Legacy!

allywrx - Just take it easy in the wet...
Old 25 August 2004, 08:38 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

yours was the bargain of the centuary squizz, looks like its coming on nicely.
Old 25 August 2004, 09:21 AM
allywrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info john some very interesting points I will have to take note of for future reference.
Squizz - I am taking it very easy in the wet (for now )
this is the first rwd car I have actually owned
Old 25 August 2004, 10:40 AM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Its your first! Go to an empty car park, with nothing to hit, and drive around in circles untill the back goes out. Helps you learn the safe way of the back end going. My bro used to do that, ending up being able to slide the car well to. Have fun!
Kam
Old 25 August 2004, 11:00 AM
allywrx
Scooby Regular

Its your first! Go to an empty car park, with nothing to hit, and drive around in circles untill the back goes out. Helps you learn the safe way of the back end going. My bro used to do that, ending up being able to slide the car well to. Have fun!
Kam
Its the first rwd car I have owned but have driven loads
Why, only the other night I drew the biggest number eight you ever did see in my friends Supra