Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Supra TT not as quick as I thought....

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2004, 04:30 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra TT not as quick as I thought....

I followed a P plate twin turbo off a couple of roundabouts, up to some speeds i'd rather not mention

First time he pulled away a bit, as I didn't think he wanted to play, and didn't drop it down a cog. Second time I was ready and there was nothing in it from 50 to unquotable speeds.... Frst time the higher STi rev range ever really came into use!

He only got away by some dodgy leapfrogging in traffic when it went to one lane, which im not into

Thought they'd do some damage after 60 mph...

MB
Old 17 May 2004, 05:43 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

his must have been pretty much standard, in which case what you say is true.

mod them a bit and then they are deadly (in every sense of the word)
Old 17 May 2004, 05:58 PM
Lust4Life
Scooby Regular

Are you sure it was a Turbo?

Having had Scoobs, Evos and Supras I can say that a tuned TT in full flight is seriously quick.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 17 May 2004, 06:21 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

maybe he wasn't trying

it happens all the time when scoob drivers get demolished by other cars
Old 17 May 2004, 07:20 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I'm taking bets on how long it'll take to, and who will, mention the T word
Old 17 May 2004, 07:20 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XT
maybe he wasn't trying
it happens all the time when scoob drivers get demolished by other cars
Strange how I get this when my Skoda walks away from a 3 Series etc !

Seriously though, at the recent Briskoda track day, there were 2 tuned Supras present. On the main straight, the power was obvious, but on the rest of the circuit, the remapped Octavias were keeping them more than honest. So with more than the 230-260bhp these cars had, you wouldn't be that far behind on mixed roads ?
Old 17 May 2004, 09:44 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Believe me, you know when someone is trying and he was. I did expect a punishing too.

Had what looked like an HKS backbox on it, and it was a turbo. Had the big vent in the bonnet, being a later model. Ok, this was all boring straight line stuff, which doesn't interest me, but worth a mention...

MB
Old 17 May 2004, 10:51 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
Believe me, you know when someone is trying and he was. I did expect a punishing too.

Had what looked like an HKS backbox on it, and it was a turbo. Had the big vent in the bonnet, being a later model. Ok, this was all boring straight line stuff, which doesn't interest me, but worth a mention...

MB
The vent means its a UK car mate (or masquerading as one!) not a late model. Those UK's are a bit laggy , but when they get blowing they are pretty quick. A standard one though is prob only a match for an STi as the Supe weighs over 1550kg.
A few very cheap mods though and not much will have a chance in a straight line!
Old 17 May 2004, 11:08 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Didn't think early Uk ones had a vent? Id still quite like one. At high speeds, it feels as though you're driving the scoob a bit hard, where a 3L is quite comfy at those speeds.

With a few tweaks, the STi is quite a bit more nimble too

MB
Old 17 May 2004, 11:14 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
The vent means its a UK car mate (or masquerading as one!) not a late model. Those UK's are a bit laggy , but when they get blowing they are pretty quick. A standard one though is prob only a match for an STi as the Supe weighs over 1550kg.
A few very cheap mods though and not much will have a chance in a straight line!

You are not authorised to talk about Supras....Mondeo boy
Old 18 May 2004, 06:15 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

I did the Cannonball last year where there were a few Supras Including the White one that Flat saw at Bruntingthorpe which is 600+ bhp.

On a long straight road they will slaughter you but they take a long time to wind up & only really show their advantage well over 100. I found my Skoda could keep with it to an indicated 130, then the Supra would continue whilst the Skoda tailed off. Top on the Skud is 150 wheras the Supra was nudging 200 (all speedo readings). The Supra did 168 on the Brunters Straight (GPS reading)

On the Cannonball when following the White Supra in the mountains I was having to lift off coming out of corners so as not to hit the back of him & once I had past him I reosnably quickly left him behind.

If you love high speeds in a straight line then the Supras are great cars & you cant argue they can be modded to look pretty good, they also apear to have a very good record when it comes to reliability.
Old 18 May 2004, 09:06 AM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

MInd you the "twisties" would be another matter

lol i just had to say it
Old 18 May 2004, 09:33 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Even that is becoming a cliche of a cliche....

MB
Old 18 May 2004, 10:38 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XT
You are not authorised to talk about Supras....Mondeo boy
Oi - don't you bloody start There's nothing wrong with my 4WD 4WS Taxi Except the fares are quite high to cover the petrol
Old 18 May 2004, 10:46 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Didn't think early Uk ones had a vent? Id still quite like one. At high speeds, it feels as though you're driving the scoob a bit hard, where a 3L is quite comfy at those speeds.

With a few tweaks, the STi is quite a bit more nimble too

MB
All UK's had the vent, no Jspec's ever did, unless the owner had one put on by a bodyshop. UK cars ran from 93-95/96.....

It does ride on a waft of torque, quite effortless, the R33 is completely different as you have to rev the nuts off it to make it go!

Indeed the STi would be, mod for mod though you'll get far more from the Supra. Mine was simply a full exhaust, decat, cooler plugs and an FCD, I had the boost low and ran 318bhp on the rollers and 270bhp of that was getting to the rear wheels and that was with an auto. When I sorted the boost out it was well over 350bhp, so with those minor mods you get over 300bhp @ the wheels, an equivalent impreza would need to be carrying 400 or more at the fly to see that at the wheels. Very minor mods on the Supra will see 400bhp on standard turbo's and some say stock fueling, others say add an uprated pump. Theres no replacement for displacement as they say.
Not having a dig at the scoob, but trying to show both sides of the story, I've owned both, both cracking cars in very different ways
Old 18 May 2004, 10:58 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

True, but you have to factor the weight into that, so the scoob doesn't need the same PAW increase that the Supra would, to a point. For example 400bhp at the wheels on the Supra may well equal 300bhp on the scoob. Im sure someone can work it out, but I dont have the weights!

MB
Old 18 May 2004, 12:32 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

>and it was a turbo.<

Just wondering how you knew that?

Last edited by Beef; 18 May 2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old 18 May 2004, 12:43 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Because if it wasn't, it would have got a serious punishing Chap at work has a N/A one... and it cant do 60 in sub 5 seconds

Other than that, the physical differences are hard to spot between a NA and Turbo...

MB
Old 18 May 2004, 12:59 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Beyond hard, they're actively impossible. The only way you know one is a turbo is if you have 100% confirmed it as a UK.

I just wonder as there was a lightweight pepped up version of the NA that was quite capable of mid to low 14 sec 1/4 mile times.
Old 18 May 2004, 01:07 PM
Cosworth427
Scooby Regular

Unless your STi is making atleast 230 hp at the WHEELS, you won't beat a real Supra TT.
Old 18 May 2004, 01:21 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Beef, to be fair, I couldnt spot the diff between my mates N/A and a Turbo, just know how it goes on the road. This sounded a bit fruity too!

Cos, I have 290 at the flywheel (barey modded) so I expect the wheels figure to be around 230, 60 loss through the drivetrain is reasonable.

And I never metioned "beat" anywhere, I kept up with it, with no increase of gap. To beat something, you do need a big % more power than someone else, which you will know.

I can see this turning into an argument before long, so I will re-itterate that I am just stating the facts, I kept up with it Dont care what figures are banded around.

MB
Old 18 May 2004, 02:12 PM
Cosworth427
Scooby Regular

Cos, I have 290 at the flywheel (barey modded) so I expect the wheels figure to be around 230, 60 loss through the drivetrain is reasonable.

MB
Flywheel figures mean jackschit, but it's perfectly feasible that you are making enough power at the wheels to keep up with a Supra.
Old 18 May 2004, 09:51 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I can see this turning into an argument before long
MB
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Well, surely not, ok then, its Scoobynet - quite likely then!!! LMFAO!
Old 19 May 2004, 05:27 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

just to drop in, it is the UK edition that has the bonnet scoop, an the UK cars have 326bhp......as stanard.....
Old 20 May 2004, 11:32 AM
Mad Gypsy
Scooby Regular

Smile

I honestly thought the Supra would be faster than my Type R (310bhp). Having raced five or so, I can honestly say my Type R is faster.
One was in the wet, that wasn't even a race, he got wasted.

I remember having a 'discussion' with someone on here 7-8 months ago about this, he was from the Poole/Bmth area. He assured me there was no way I could beat a Supra, and that if we saw each other we would put it to the test. At the time, I'd only raced one in the wet, so I couldn't really say I'd truly got the better of one. I've since had a play with another four or so.
Each time I've edged past and each time it was dry. Two silver ones, a red one with white wheels and a black one with gold wheels. I truly hope one of those Supras belonged to that guy!
The guy in the red one stuck his fingers up at me! He started it!!

One of the silver Sup's was from the lights, I got a full cars length on him in first. Don't get me wrong, Supras are fast, but a STi would do ok against one, whilst a Type R/RA is simply a faster car. As standard I might ad.
0-60 in 4.3 0-100 in 11.9. What are the times for the Supra? By the way, these figure are from Autocar who tested a Type R.....in the wet!
Old 20 May 2004, 11:39 AM
Cosworth427
Scooby Regular

People whining that a Supra isn't so fast against a modified car is stating the bleeding obvious.
Old 20 May 2004, 01:07 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

The red one is my work mate, he might have thought you were me if you were in a black STi!

I'll have a word with him

It isnt a Turbo though

MB
Old 20 May 2004, 01:16 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

hmmmm.... some of you have obviously been racing standard cars.

Supras are very fast cars, i'll race ya if you like

http://img45.photobucket.com/albums/...s/P1140043.jpg

http://img45.photobucket.com/albums/...s/P1140044.jpg

Last edited by suprabeast; 20 May 2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old 20 May 2004, 01:17 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

When I had my Supra I once had a play with a good mate who has a MY99 UK Wagon, MD turbo, FMIC blah blah blah, his car was putting out 350+ bhp against my Jspec supra auto with decat, fcd and thats about it. Standing start, was p!ssing with rain. Guess who won?

(and it wasn't the scooby )

He admitted defeat graciously! Never managed to have a play when I was putting out closer to 400 than the 350 when we had our little fun.

Theres stories of this type all over the place, doesn't really mean anything. A manual sup is supposed to be arounf 4.5-5 to 60, auto 5, or other sources say man 5 and auto 5.5. On things for sure, with a Type R (due to the short gearing) once in 3 figures, rolling start the supra will kill it!

Both great cars, designed to do very different things. (eg scooby a-b, supra sit and mile munch across Europe sat at 150+ mph effortlessly!)
Old 20 May 2004, 01:49 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mad Gypsy
one, whilst a Type R/RA is simply a faster car.
(*****)
Oh no they're not!
(/waving)

Quick Reply: Supra TT not as quick as I thought....