Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Porsche Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2004, 05:16 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Cayenne

Went on a Porsche organised 'activity morning' the other day, to assess the Cayenne.

Tried a V6 off road, and a V8 non-turbo on the track/on road. Initial thoughts??

Gotta say, that adaptive air suspension is incredible. The V6 is a nice motor, but the V8 is simply stunning.

Imagine a Range Rover with the agility, performance, braking and body control of a WRX, and you're on the nose. Oh, and the six speed auto with tiptronic is an absolute work of art.

Took the V8 through a slalom with a 'bus stop' at the end, after barrelling down the track at nigh on 120. Suspension control is astonising for such a large, heavy (two and a half tonnes) machine.

Equally, the V6 with air suspension coped unbelievably well with a mud filled, rutted 1 in 2 ascent on road tyres (P Zero Rossos - 19"), especially when you have to stop half way up, then let the car finish the job off automatically....

I'm convinced that whoever tries one will be blown away with how marvellous the thing is..... The V8S has to be the best overall vehicle in the real world today. Barring the Cayenne Turbo, of course!!
Old 26 March 2004, 05:29 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

they do seem to be pretty impressive. shame about the image, though.
Old 26 March 2004, 05:31 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Lovely interior though. Especially with the optional PCM and SatNav.
Old 26 March 2004, 05:47 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

is it as big as a range rover inside?
Old 26 March 2004, 05:49 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Can't help but think that they look like an oversized Audi A4 with big wheels and high suspension...

But maybe that's just me...

K.
Old 26 March 2004, 06:01 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

the new 4x4 volvo w***ermobile looks remarkable similar to the cayenne, as well...
Old 26 March 2004, 06:30 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
the new 4x4 volvo w***ermobile looks remarkable similar to the cayenne, as well...
I know the Cayenne shares its' platform with the VW Tuouaoeuoureg, but is the Volvo also based on the same platform.

I see loads of Cayennes here - they account for 50% of all Porsche sales in Canada. Seem pretty impressive bits of machinery. Just a shame they were designed by Stevie Wonder.
Old 26 March 2004, 06:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Cayenne Turbo gave me the best "sport" that anything has so far against my 400+ Scooby. Respect for such a heavy machine!
Old 26 March 2004, 06:36 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

.........Nice sales pitch -looks would put me off a bit ........i guess porsche owners wont mind
Old 26 March 2004, 06:40 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the Volvo XC90 is an evolution of the V70 Chassis, nothing to with the VW and Porsche.
Old 26 March 2004, 07:27 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

If you can overlook the 911 on steroids look, then it's a truly remarkable vehicle. Like John says, the Turbo has stunning performance for such a huge piece of kit. And it's pretty good on the famous 'twisties'....

Evo mag's usual Palmer Bedford Autodrome course saw the Turbo match an M3's lap times. Beat that in a Rangie....
Old 26 March 2004, 07:28 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

and if the press are to be believed, the porsche and the VW are quite good cars, and the volvo, although similar in appearance, is a dog. no surprise there, then.
Old 26 March 2004, 07:34 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Although the Toerag is no Range Rover beater.... Put the Porsche is. Believe me, I was blown away by the damned thing!!
Old 26 March 2004, 08:07 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Mate of mine was on the same course as you yesterday at Crail and off-road nr. St.Andrews, said it was **** - nah only joking he said exactly the same as you! Loved it!
Old 26 March 2004, 09:14 PM
Phil M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by workshy_fopp
Mate of mine was on the same course as you yesterday at Crail and off-road nr. St.Andrews, said it was **** - nah only joking he said exactly the same as you! Loved it!
The Volvo's no dog! who said that <slap!> its not that quick and don't handle but its a good car
Old 26 March 2004, 09:24 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

I really like them, although I must admit it's taken a bit of getting used to. I think they look more expensive than they are. I know the Turbo is expensive but the middle of the range V8 S seems reasonable at £42k. I guess options would soon bump that up, but even so, it seems OK.

I think it would definitely be my choice if I was going for that sort of thing.
Old 26 March 2004, 10:08 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

There's a guy in regular attendance at Oulton with the Turbo version with massive wheels. Not sure what he runs on track, but always turns up in the Cayenne. Takes it on track occassionally, and it ain't half quick. Sounds beautiful too

I quite fancy one- apparently quite reasonable on contract hire
Old 26 March 2004, 10:15 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

I beg to differ (someone has to )

I drive an 'S' frequently (no I can't afford one, it belongs to my folks), and just cannot get along with the thing.

Once you get used to the performance and the Can-Am racer soundtrack, then really there is little else I can think of that warrants spending £55K.

Sure the handling is fantastic for such a huge, heavy car, but do you buy a massive 4x4 to go charging down the lanes with? It is just far too physically big to throw around on a decent B road. To me, the steering is too high geared, too nervous.

Interior is plesant looking, but the seats are rock hard and uncomfy. Fit and finish is worse than a base model Golf: 'our' car has a number of annoying rattles, squeaks and zizzes, IMHO totally unnaceptable in such an expensive car.

The ride is wooden and jiggly, even with the "small" 18" wheel package. God knows what the 20" rims do to the ride.

There are faults. The gearbox IS impressive when warm, but 'ours' starts off in first when cold, and changes to second with a huge lurch that makes the whole car shudder. Again unnaceptable IMHO. Porsche say there is no evidence of a problem.

The car annoyingly pulls left. Probably a trait (most Mercs and other German cars do it, including mine). I believe it is due to the weight of the car following the camber. Again Porsche say that this is normal, but could a solution not be found?

The alluminium side skirts have huge corrosion blisters popping through the finish, and need replacing. The car has done 1700 miles.

And of course it's as ugly as a spud.

I will leave out the disgusting treatment I recieved from the dealership when I took the car in to have above faults rectified. (I wandered in in usual attire, ie t-shirt and jeans covered in silicone, plaster and sawdust. As my dad would have done, seeing as we work together. If I had a suit on, I possibly may have recieved better service, but why should that matter?)

The Cayenne replaced an X5 3.0D sport (it got stolen), which was to me a far more impressive car. And I HATE Beemers, and all they stand for, with an absolute passion.

Just my £0.02
Old 26 March 2004, 10:23 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

sooner or later the dealers will realise that the guys in the suits often ain't the ones who can afford their cars any more
Old 26 March 2004, 11:38 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phil M
The Volvo's no dog! who said that <slap!> its not that quick and don't handle but its a good car
Phil I was talking about the free and wanton Cayenne abuse which people have recieved this week. No Volvo
Old 27 March 2004, 02:14 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Have to say Olly that I hope your folk's car is an exception - not owned a Porker, so can't really comment on the after sales, but the demo models seemed impeccably screwed together - as you'd expect.... And some were 15k plus miles old.

The thing that struck me more than anything else was the fact that the car is totally incongruous. It looks like a big 4X4; it's the size of a RR/XC90/X5... But it handles and goes like a sports car.

What Porsche have done is take the 4X4 mould, and shatter it completely. It really feels like no other off/soft-roader on the market. And that has to be a good thing.

I was truly impressed with the way in which a two and a half tonne lump of off-roader physically shrank to the size of a nimble sporting machine, as well as the decent go that the V8S possessed. OK, so it's not the Turbo - but the latter is genuinely ballistic.

What seems more surreal than anything, though, is that the awesome off-road ability is matched with astonishing nimbleness on the track. Most sporting marques would be proud to see their halo-effect pinnacle models handling like this, never mind a faintly absurd, top heavy 4X4 mud-slinger.

It's an amazing machine, and will stay at the top of my wish list for a long time to come....
Old 27 March 2004, 02:18 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Incidentally - I found that the adaptive dampers and air suspension offered an excellent ride/handling compromise.

In the 'Normal' setting, they were fine for most circumstances, while 'Sport' firmed things up nicely.... 'Comfort' was a bit too muchthe other way, but OK for rear seat occupants....
Old 27 March 2004, 09:22 AM
Ale555
Scooby Regular

The motor in the Porsches are quite good (alltrough the V6 is just a VR6 VW...) BUT: The interior is IMHO more like a SMART than a Porsche. Just think off the heating control...ouch! Just silver plastic.
Old 27 March 2004, 10:30 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Yeah - the 250ps V6 is basically the Golf R32's motor, with some Porsche inlets.

Thought the interior worked well though - combination of tough, stylish and comfortable.
Old 27 March 2004, 08:48 PM
166 ajw
Scooby Newbie

Have a cayenne s for around 4 months - superb car.Agree seats are rock hard but otherwise solid car.Pulls like a steam train too - off the lights with 4 wheel drive and huge V8 torque/auto box it is virtually unbeatable- you would have to dump the clutch etc in a sti to pull away.With the optional air suspension the ride is impressive too - not s-class smooth - but still acceptable.
Old 27 March 2004, 11:21 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Why only 4 months Mate?
Old 28 March 2004, 01:25 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I can see what you're saying with power, handling and smoothness etc., but arnt you concerned that when driving it you a putting yourself in the same mould as every X5/New shape Range rover driver? I.E. everyone thinking you're a flashy vulgar **** as you drive past?
astraboy.
Old 28 March 2004, 04:42 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

It's a fair point but, to be honest, I've always bought cars on their ability, not image. Must be the reason I've got an Impreza....

Having said that, the X5 is a bit Footballers' Wives. And the Rangie shouts 'Drug Dealer'.
Old 28 March 2004, 05:07 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

innit, Sorry to bring down your motor and all that, but the amount I see up in The City and the drivers are all cutaway collars and spikey hair, looking like they think they are Gods gift all the way up there....
Wheres that wanka smiley when you need it
astraboy.
Old 28 March 2004, 07:03 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

I've got spiky hair too Astraboy - but only 'cos I'm almost bald....