Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Might get a Noble.....but...

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2004, 08:59 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might get a Noble.....but...

I have first refusal on a Noble M12 GTO-3R & the car is perfect in every way but I am slightly concerned by the lack of ABS brakes.
Call me a girl but ABS has helped me on a couple of sticky occasions & it worries me a little not having it.

Thoughts ?

Ro.
Old 23 February 2004, 09:34 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
I have first refusal on a Noble M12 GTO-3R & the car is perfect in every way but I am slightly concerned by the lack of ABS brakes.
Call me a girl but ABS has helped me on a couple of sticky occasions & it worries me a little not having it.

Thoughts ?

Ro.
Having had my first non assisted car, I didnt find it too bad, I have had some extra training, on using the brakes, and I have not had any issues.

Have you driven one? As I think the brakes are awesome, the feel is spot on, so you know when it will lock.

I lookked at a Noble but the high running costs put me off, as it was going to be a stretch.
Old 23 February 2004, 09:37 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

Havn't driven one yet. My 996 is fairly expensive to run so I am used to it but any info you have on the Noble (runnung costs / service costs / depreciation etc etc) would be welcome - or a link to owners board like this one would be great.

Thanks

Ro.
Old 23 February 2004, 09:47 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I chatted to a bloke at Silverstone (track day) - he's gone from a Ferrari to a new Noble - he said it was a fantastic car but couldn't believe it was even less reliable than the Ferrari.. I mentioned problems with the ECU's IIRC
Old 23 February 2004, 01:11 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
Hi mate

Havn't driven one yet. My 996 is fairly expensive to run so I am used to it but any info you have on the Noble (runnung costs / service costs / depreciation etc etc) would be welcome - or a link to owners board like this one would be great.

Thanks

Ro.
There is a Noble owners Forum, I will see if I can find the URL for you, also on Pistonheads forum there is a section that a few Noble owners frequent.

We get a few Nobles attend our SELOC (Elise Club) trackdays/sprints, and after a few questions regarding reliabilty, the new ones are so much better than the old. The dealers tend to be very accomodating, as does Lee Noble.

Best bet is go drive one, not driven any Porkers, but the Noble is quick and the handling is fantastic, a grown up Elise.
Old 23 February 2004, 02:16 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

It is a drivers car. With stage braking applied correctly not having ABS can be better.

Take some extra driving courses if you are worried. If you can afford a Noble you can spring for them.

I have disabled the ABS on every car I've owned until it comes time to sell. I prefer not to have it.
Old 23 February 2004, 08:46 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I, too, dislike ABS with a vengeance. Get used to it, have some track tuition (I don't mean that rudely) if necessary and you will be fine with it.

Noble is a fine car - I would prefer it to a Tuscan S
Old 24 February 2004, 08:28 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

My 22 has no ABS, and I've had no issues with it. However..most experts agree that it is nigh on impossible to outperform a modern ABS system in the dry or the wet (excluding snow) so people who claim to hate it are just egomaniacs IMHO. The MY03STI had ABS and I didn't trigger it whilst the car was mine, same with the S3, S4 and 911 C4S...however I am glad it is there for the day in the future where I come around a corner on a country lane I know well, travalling a little too fast, only to find a tractor pulling out of a field in front of me..in that instant of blind panic the likelyhood of locking up a non ABS car and losing control is the one thing having ABS makes me feel better about...and the reason I haven't 'ringed the 22 is soley due to lack of ABS and the potential for a panic moment.
The Noble worries me more for the fact that it is still relatively undeveloped...reading through the pistonheads forums helped me decide on the 911 instead of the Noble..a couple more years of development and I'll take another look, but I can't stand unreliable cars.
Rgds
Cman

Last edited by Old_Fart; 24 February 2004 at 08:54 AM.
Old 25 February 2004, 06:28 PM
W9GTR
Scooby Regular

Don't worry about the ABS, have driven the car and the brakes are great as long as you remember that and stage brake as advised before. I was so impressed with the car that I have ordered one, pick it up next week.
Feckin fast, handling superb, only down side is comfort and shabby interior but I aint buying the car to commute everyday so it doesn't bother me.
I can honestly say that I have never driven a car in my life before with such great resistance to understeer and I look forward to giving the car a proper twatting at Bedford next month.
Steve