Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Senator 3.0i 24v (perhaps ex-police)

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2004, 01:22 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Senator 3.0i 24v (perhaps ex-police)

I'm in need of a cheap (ie sub £1K) car which would be a little bit of fun as well as doing the commute to and from the office. As I'm not too bothered about fuel economy I was looking at something bigger rather than smaller, and an ex-Police Senator would seem to fit the bill. Ex-Police means no electrical items which may cost £££ if they go pop.

Anyone had one? Or any other suggestions?
Old 06 February 2004, 02:01 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I got pug 406 3.0 V6 for about £2k and this was a good example with 73k miles. You could possibly find an older example of this or its sisters (xantia 3.0/laguna 3.0) from auction for under £1k. The performance is there and the engine is nice and torquey with lots of toys to boot
Old 06 February 2004, 03:34 PM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

Being someone who used to drive a Police senator, they are a brilliant car. I only ever drove the manual 24v, but it was a really forgiving workhorse.Be careful when buying ex-police jobs because some of them will have had a hard life. If you can, buy an ex-driving school car, because they are never thrashed and are always well looked after.
Old 06 February 2004, 06:29 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

Just bought a 12 valve one. Comfy, quickish(mines an auto but has the sports box) and loads of toys, most of which work. A hell of a lot of car for the money, I paid £350 for mine with an MOT til November

Have a look here.

http://www.autobahnstormers.com

http://www.vauxhall-senator.com/senator/
Old 06 February 2004, 06:30 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

Oh forgot to add the 12v engines last better, the timng chain will last the life of the engine while the 24v one will need replacing and head gaskets can go

Here's one chaps experiences with an ex-police Senator

http://www.gbw61.dial.pipex.com/restore.htm

Last edited by dome; 06 February 2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06 February 2004, 06:40 PM
bartmanuk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

miles,
i bought a 2.8i ghia granada from norfolk police about 8 or 9 years ago,got pulled in it a few times in the first week of having it,but only because it was still registered to the old bill,as you say no electrical bits which is a great piece of mind imo,and mechanically it was the nuts,oh and it went like a rocket too.kept it for a couple of years and didnt have one single problem with it in that time,then sold it for the same as i payed for it,result!!!

BM
Old 07 February 2004, 12:36 AM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Good info guys, and cheers for the links! Are there any distinguishing marks for a driving school car, ie, are they ex-police but not white for instance ?
Old 11 February 2004, 04:57 PM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

Most of them were white. However, have a look around in the boot. Unless it's been resprayed, the state of the trim/paintwork will be crap if it was used as a patrol car as it would have had all sorts of kit chucked in it. Also, the dashboard may have tell tale small holes where bits of additional electrical kit was installed. If you know which Police Force it came from, phone up the fleet manager and ask him what the car was used for.