Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

First time spraying any tips and how much thinners and hardners?

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2003, 12:33 PM
Clubscene
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its ICI paint, base coat I think, so need for laquer I was told? I am painting over a horrible red stripe that was sprayed onto the side of a 1998 White Transit I recently bought. I also want to spray the glass in the back doors for security reasons. Ant tips and tricks will greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for advice folks.
Old 26 November 2003, 04:28 PM
Mr Gee
Scooby Regular

Smile

Rub that red stripe right down with course sand paper. The rub it down some fore with finer sand paper. Then wet and dry flat the area until you cannot feel any ridges or edges of the stripe. Run your fingernail over it to test.
I tend to use a 60 / 40 mix regarding the paints. 60% base coat and 40% thinners. Spray at about 12" to 15" away from bodywork using a wide spray pattern. If the paint starts to run, just let it dry then flat it down with wet N dry fine sand paper. Now add some more base coat paint and try again, using long and even strokes.
Old 26 November 2003, 05:05 PM
Clubscene
Scooby Regular

Cheers MR Gee. How much hardner should I add? Any tips on the Glass?
Old 27 November 2003, 05:18 PM
evo kid
Scooby Regular

sorry cant help you with covering up the red stripe (want to learn to spray myself)

the glass could be a bit trickey ? would think your best bet would be some sort of glass frosting , either pop windows out and take them to a glass merchants for etching or i pretty sure you can buy something you can spreay on to them to give it the same effect , seen it on these home make over programs , can get it from diy placese
Old 29 November 2003, 06:44 PM
Cabinet Enforcer
Scooby Regular

We needed to blank the windows on a festa van at work, one tin of white emulsion did the job (single coat too). Just slap it on with a brush, looks fine on the outside as the finish is as flat as the glass. It's lasted 6 months so far with no sign of deterioration.
Old 29 November 2003, 06:47 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

You could try some spray on glass etch to give the paint a key? Havn't tried it myself, but it might work!

Are you planning to mask off the rubber seal around the glass?
Old 01 December 2003, 10:04 AM
Clubscene
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies folks. I plan on sanding the glass down which should make the paint stick to it better. I am going to take out the rubber seal as they are a security risk and bond the glass in.
Old 01 December 2003, 02:36 PM
Mr Gee
Scooby Regular

Smile

Forgot about hardener. Add about a cup of hardener per litre of paint - should do the trick.

Regarding the glass - if its a security problem, go get one piece doors. There are a few custom car shops still doing these, or get them welded up by a proper bodyshop.
Or...take glass out and then get them re-cut at a glass merchant in jet black etched tampered glass, then bond into place and weld 2 metal bars across them inside the doors.