Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mercedes Cosworth

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2003, 06:46 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After watching Top Gear on Friday and following the review given, I was wondering has anyone had one of these before? Are they as good as he is boasting? I always thought the Corrado VR6 was a good piece of kit....fast, chunky and pretty well made.

But he reckons it's better?! Surely he has got to be biased.
It's 0-60 is also slower than the VR6 and I doubt it depreciates as slowly.

Anyone?
Old 24 November 2003, 07:41 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

They are quite a rare beast, especially in un molested condition, they are quick but not sierra cosworth quick, because of the limited numbers and mercedes build quality I would think depreciation would be less than the golf oops corrado, I havent owned one but been in a few donkeys years ago, dog leg first gear if I remember right,
Old 24 November 2003, 08:59 PM
agmc
Scooby Newbie

There is always the Evolution and Evolution 2 models. They'll hold their money well...
Old 24 November 2003, 10:46 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Bloke at works got a 2.3 Merc. Its gold and look awful! Gets the local idiots saying "Wicked Car Mr" at lights! I was sure the 2.5 was only introduced as a Evo2 model (around the time the E30 M3 went to 2.5) as the rules for DTM changed.

Of course Top Gear COULD be wrong

As for the Corrado. Engine is too heavy for the car so its very understeery (word?) Also it FWD, so not a real sports coupe at all. They are pretty reliable, but when they go wrong, they are bloody expensive! Pose mobile rather than racer.

Last of the Line Ltd Etd "Storm" is your best bet. And avoid the Autos!
Old 24 November 2003, 10:56 PM
Nev
Scooby Regular

Wink

rr_ww,

VR6 is understeery? When being driven with someone with the right foot (and finesse) of an elephant maybe. Unbelievably composed and refined - the engine weight is really not an issue. Rated as the best FWD car EVER along with the ITR. Glad I own one...hoping Top Gear will help values!!

Cheers,

Nev
Old 24 November 2003, 11:08 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Red face

How did that happen?

[Edited by rr_ww - 11/24/2003 11:10:28 PM]
Old 24 November 2003, 11:09 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nev

Rated as the best FWD car EVER...
By who exactly! You and VW dont count! All VWs understeer cos of the fundamentally bad positioning of heavy Engines.
Old 24 November 2003, 11:13 PM
Luke
BANNED

Back on track...

have seen a few auto cosworths.Are they a better buy than the manuals???? Also as long as its real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what to look for?? MPG etc etc. Ive seen some nice grey ones with leather and they look a good car for the money.

any links to good sites??
Old 25 November 2003, 10:45 AM
Dapster
Scooby Regular

[anorak]

The 2.3 Cosworth Mercs came in brilliant silver, smoke silver (light gold), and metallic blue black (fancy word for er, black) and black and white checked cloth or black leather only. 5 speed dog leg man as standard with 4 sp auto extra. Had a standard pack of extra instruments in the lower console (oil press, volts and a stopwatch - how cool is that!).

The 2.5 came out in about 88 in non evo guise - can now be had in metallic red (called almandine) and a had a few bits of extra kit. and then went on to sire the evo1 and evo2.

Basically, you're biggest challenge is to find one that is an original Cosworth, and that it hasn't been molested with big alloys, chrome arches and other horrors.

The Evo 2 has a ridiculous body kit with an OTT rear spoiler as tall as the car. This, in original condition is the daddy, but anyone but the most hardened DTM dweeb will point at you and laugh.

If you can find a really well looked after 2.5 auto with leather, air con (no climate control in those days off course) and lots of history, you won't regret it.

Check out the back issues of Mercedes Enthusiast mag for the buying guide.

[/anorak]