Accident Damaged/Repaired

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2003, 09:02 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Guys,

I been looking for a new car, something like a 306/206 HDI. These hold there value well, but I found one thats in real good nick, but the garage tells me its recorded as CAT C repaired. It has been repaired for a year or so, and the garage owner tells me his daughter has been using it for a year. There is no sign of any previous damage, and if he wasn't straight with me, I could not have known it had been damaged. I've driven the car etc, no signs of any pulling to one side, or uneven tyre wear etc. What do you guys think about uying a car of this nature? One thing that worries me is the resale in maybe 2 years when I try to sell it on, and whether or not people will run a mile when I tell them its CAT C recorded. Last thing, the car is about £2000 under the price of others in autotrader etc. Thanks for any replies

Chris.
Old 20 September 2003, 11:35 PM
Smiler
Scooby Regular

Take it for a good long test drive.

Have it checked over.

I had a new Ford in '89, and in '90 did some serious damage to it. When it was back together the only original panels were.... 3 of the doors and the bootlid. yes, that's right it was reshelled.

And I'll tell you something. It never drove as well! No squeaks. No rattles. No problems whatsoever.

It really depends as to who repaired.
Old 20 September 2003, 11:48 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

It's a good deal but only if you plan on keeping it until it's not worth much as selling it on won't be easy.

Get it inspected by an expert for peace of mind.
Old 21 September 2003, 12:31 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

personally i cant see the problllem, for the same money your getting to drive a much newer more valuble looking car, so no one else has to know ya got it on the cheap

as long as ya buy it cheap it doesnt matter when ya sell it cheap does it
Old 21 September 2003, 12:49 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Wink

I will Go and get your self another Scoob and let the Mrs drive the Fez.

Seriously though it does sound like a good deal you might as well buy it and keep it for the Mrs when she passes her driving test. Then you could start building another Westfield or get another scoob or something.
Old 22 September 2003, 09:18 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

I have bought a couple of cat C's & had no problems but I saw both before they were fixed. Find out from whoever is selling it what the damage was, if poss contact the original owner, if the seller says he dosent know ask to see the log book, it should be on there. Then take it to a REPUITABLE body shop, tell them as much as you know about the damage & get them to check it over, it may cost you a couple of hours labour but its worth it. Are you in the AA or RAC, I dont know but maybey they can check it for you

As for the car not pulling, a bent car can be tweaked when tracking it, I know of a car that was perfect but the top of one of the struts was 10mm out of position due to a bent inner wing

I would certainly buy another cat C, all it means is it was too expensive to repair.
Cars are sometimes totalled if a lot of Mechanical work is required as Insurance companies dont like getting involved in giving a guarantee for that kind of work, wait until the Autumn floods get here & look out for totalled diesels with water damaged engines.
Also if an Insurance co is providing a hire car & parts will take many weeks to come (Jap Imports) they will total the car as the cost of weeks of car rental pushes the total repair bill above the write off value

You obviously are aware of what you are buying so check carefully & if its good buy it but be prepared to take a knock when you sell it, their is I believe talk of the DVLC noting write off in the log books, not sure if this is true but if it is you may find the logbook noted thus when you change the ownership detail.

Last thought for those who would never buy a write off. How many cars that had heavy accidents when nearly new & were thus not totalled have been badly repaired & are now death traps on our roads. Just because a car isnt written off it dosent mean all 4 corners are where they are meant to be. You should check all cars as far as possible

Stuart
Old 22 September 2003, 10:04 AM
miles25
Scooby Regular

What is the difference between cat C and cat D, as I have been thinking about C/D cat cars but am unsure of the difference?
Old 22 September 2003, 11:21 AM
Tommy 2000
Scooby Regular

There is not a lot of difference between C and D, just the extent to which the vehicle has been damaged in the first place:

Category A: A vehicle that should be totally crushed, including all its spare parts.

Category B: A vehicle from which spare parts may be salvaged, but the bodyshell should be crushed and the car should never return to the road.

Category C: An extensively damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could potentially be repaired to a high standard.

Category D: A damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.

Category F: A vehicle damaged by fire, which the insurer has decided not to repair.
Old 22 September 2003, 08:28 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, I've taken my old man, (a qualified car mechanic,plant engineer and diesel fitter, and he spent a couple of hours ripping the car to pieces having a good look. There is a full engineers report on the car after it had been fixed, according to the person who repaired it (the owners father, who runs a peugeot garage) said there was no major damage, just really panel damage, with photos to prove.I'm gonna run it for 3 years or there abouts, so looks like im gonna take the plunge and strike a deal. Thanks once again,

Chris
Old 23 September 2003, 08:26 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a good deal to me & well researched

stuart