Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

civic vti saloon 92-96

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2003, 07:21 PM
mrp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Kenny.c - was the manifold and systen very dear? Unfortunately I've had to get a std centre section to keep the car on the road - would like to be able to upgrade bit by bit e.g rear, centre and then the manifold.

ta

Martin

[Edited by mrp - 9/1/2003 7:21:50 PM]
Old 29 August 2003, 10:12 PM
mrp
Scooby Regular

Question

Just wondered if anyone has owned one and their experiances with it.

Martin

Thanks kennyc, just bought one with a bit of rust at the bottom of the rear arches which I am sorting out at the moment. Super car that goes manic when the v-tec kicks in

[Edited by mrp - 8/30/2003 6:23:45 PM]
Old 29 August 2003, 10:31 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Yes I had a 1994 L-reg which I ran for 4 years without any problems. Excellent car, a real wolf in sheeps clothing especially when it hits the vtec zone and revs smoothly round to 8200rpm. Make sure it has a FSH, preferably by Honda.
Old 30 August 2003, 03:08 AM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

had quite a few 92-95 civic vti's a 3 door and 2 4 doors......must say it's such an underestimated car for it's time....when v-tec was'nt as popular......till the type-r's came out.....

Totally reliable....assuming it's cared for, fsh is a must not neccesary honda but would be preffered......rust can appear on the rear arches and road noise is quite loud but you get used to it, very economical for everyday use and fast when needed to be....the electric windows can be very tired at this age....and dash bulbs not working is common.

The suspension may need changing also.

On my first 3 dr vti the syncro went at 47k so traded it in for a 4 door..but never had this problem with the last 2 .

The rear can only carry 2 person's as it has a center rear armrest/ storage/ drinks holder..........but the way its laid out looks kinda sporty.

With just a manifold and exhaust system can make a difference...shows how restricted the standard manifold is.....i would recomend to keep the cat on as there is no real difference with it off.

At 90k apart from the usual consumables......i needed a new water pump, radiator, rear calipers and clutch.......still ownership is very rewarding though.

anyway good luck.......i hope what i've said has'nt put you off as i would recomend these to anyone.
Old 30 August 2003, 08:43 PM
DuggE4
Scooby Regular

I own a 2000 coupe and I have to say its the most rewarding car for the price I have owned!!its so understated its non-existent to everyone on the road.....but it shifts like ****!! 3rd gear at 6000 RPM is an absolute joy!! I reckon the vtis are better than the type-r's becos they are so unobvious....makes for a real laugh on the road and my 1.6 has unbelievably good fuel econmoy for the performance!
Old 30 August 2003, 10:32 PM
mrp
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info. As a matter of interest, can anyone recommend an exhaust that works well with the vti's. I've only been able to find Janspeed, Jetex and some very expensive Japanese tuning brands. The exhaust note is quieter than my wife's Micra.

ta

Martin
Old 31 August 2003, 01:37 AM
Gary VR6
Scooby Regular

I had a 93 L reg 4 door VTI - great car. I had it dyno'd at 98,000 miles and it gave 167bhp without any mods whatsoever. VTEC push is sweet, and they can look soooo gorgeous with a little (20-30mm) lowering and 16s.
Old 31 August 2003, 02:14 AM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

mrp -- i had a supersprint full system inc manifold which really free up the engine........was'nt loud when cruising but gave a nice rumble through town.......i got this system when other's were too over priced and jap systems were taking too long to ship over....plus you can negotiate with supersprint dealers as there are so many of them.

If i were to get a system now.........i think for cost effectivness i would be tempted with the dc sports 4-1 or 4-2-1 (mild steel or stainless up to you )manifold with a jap system like spoon sports or mugen......jap manifolds are way too dear and there are too many u.s... manifolds which are really made in the far east claiming XXXbhp increase....but you never know if these have been flow tested for increased performance...although they look good.

Although the supersprint is really resistant to corrosion, most manifolds develop rust around the engine block area..but the s/sp is still nice and shiny.....as i still see it every day.....it's touching 4 years now.

Old 31 August 2003, 03:00 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Im a bit confuesed.... is this the same car as the honda coupe in fast and furious???

They got the 1.6 VTI engin same as the crx's right? 167 bhp
Old 31 August 2003, 07:19 PM
Gary VR6
Scooby Regular

Dunno mate, but 1.6 vti's are all rated at 160bhp, not 167; my point above was that mine was giving 167 when it shouldn't have been so powerful. Coincidentally, the 1.8 vti's (the 96-01 Rover 400 shaped ones) give 167 also.
Old 31 August 2003, 07:29 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

1.6's are 158bhp, 1.8's are 167bhp.

Fairly easy to get good (for n/a engine) gains from manifold and exhaust.
Old 02 September 2003, 12:38 AM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

mrp -- from what i remember the whole system cost me around £650 cash price........not sure how much it cost now as i purchased mine about 3-4 years ago.

The good thing about the supersprint is that the centre section comes with a cat by-pass pipe so you can just pop in the cat come MOT time.....if you're going bit by bit then just get the centre section and back box first.....rather than just backbox then center as you wont notice any performance benefits until you get the manifold........noy kidding though...once you get the manifold the car revs so much quicker especially in the power band..hehe

I think the dc sports mild steel manifold is significantely cheaper than the stainless version......you must shop around.

I am tempted to get a <95 vti hatch as they're really comming down in price...........but looking for a good one is difficult.
Old 03 September 2003, 07:49 PM
mrp
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Kenny.c. Are there any suppliers on the web you could recommend that can supply these?

ta

Martin
Old 04 September 2003, 01:57 AM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

will look into it for you..........will need a few days though....
i'll try and contact the shop i purchased my supersprint from as they do mail order ......i'll try and get a good price for the supersprint systems
Old 04 September 2003, 08:34 AM
Stu_M
Scooby Regular

mrp

Have you tried the Honda Revolutions web site? If you join up there are alot of suppliers on there that give discount to members on performance parts, and Honda dealers are also giving discount on service and parts. Might be worth a look if you have not done so already www.hondarevolutions.com

Cheers, Stuart
Old 11 September 2003, 05:46 PM
mrp
Scooby Regular

anyone advise?
Old 09 October 2003, 07:49 PM
mrp
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Just wondered if anyone could advise, the car pulls very eagerly to about 4k then feels like it tails off and comes on song in the vtec zone (can hear the change at about 5.5k) at 6k (still pulls very hard at 8k). Is this the way they normally behave or do I need the dist. timing checked for this lull between 4 & 6K.

ta

Martin

[Edited by mrp - 9/10/2003 7:50:56 PM]