Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Elise Sport 160

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2003, 03:18 PM
rogp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was taken for a spin in one of these last night and all I can say is $%£K me!

Absolutely phenomenal acceleration and handling.

How do they compare performance wise to a STi or P1? I assume in the wet the Scoob would have the advantage?

Roger
Old 08 August 2003, 03:36 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Cool

The mates I have with a old shape sport 160 and the new shape 111s both think my sti4 is quicker but the handling is definately not as hot.

Had to laugh, some time back we all went to Cambridge to do an airfield day at Oakington <shudders whilst remembering giant metal gates around the track>

I got a phone call half way up the M11 saying "FFS slow down, I can't drive in a straight line", I was 4 up with all the gear and he was with a passenger. It was snowing a bit but it didn't effect the scoob though...

[Edited by RichB - 8/8/2003 3:40:24 PM]
Old 08 August 2003, 03:50 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Scooby's sure are dull huh
Old 08 August 2003, 04:10 PM
Dapster
Scooby Regular

While these things are quick, they FEEL a lot quicker just because they are so exposed, make such a din, sit close to the ground and are relatively unrefined. What makes them so special is that because they are so light, they are much more agile and involving to drive.

Test a standard boggo one against say and Audi RS6. The Audi will absolutely demolish it in any gear, on any road and probably on any track but you will have much more fun in the Lotus.

That said, they have a horrid gearchange and sound like a hot air hand dryer unless you spend a lot of money on the quick change box and sports exhaust.
Old 08 August 2003, 05:09 PM
Rich B
Scooby Regular

I had an S160, swapped for an STI7 for work purposes.

Not much point comparing the cars as they are so different, but in a straight line theres not much in it assuming you rev the S160 - you have to to get it moving. Basically its a badly ported cylinder head with some hot cams which gives a peaky engine with 160Bhp at 7000rpm.

Mid range, slighly off guard in the wrong gear and the STI would dissappear.

Handling wise the Elise is much more involving, and could probably run round the outside of an STI if it wasn't understeering! On a track absolutely no contest, especially after 5 laps or so when the STI has melted everything.

Sound wise its pretty good as it has all the exhaust mods as standard.

Very good car, as is the STI but completely and utterly different.
Old 08 August 2003, 10:15 PM
mrjoff
Scooby Newbie

Wink

I have a standard elise and am getting a wrx shortly. the 160s are fairly rapid it must be said but an elise is very different to drive compared to the scoob. The main difference is in the steering feel which is awesome in the lotus and a bit light in the scoob (haven't driven an sti so can't compare directly). Speed wise the wrx is faster than the elise and i imagine that the torque of the sti would see off the 160 although I suspect the elise would be easier to get off the line quickly. In terms of ride driving at 60mph+ down a bumpy b road generally scares the **** out passengers whereas the scoob just wafts along sucking up the bumps at a rediculous speed. The lotus is ultimately more fun to drive but the scoob delivers more for less effort! 160 would be quicker on track but scoob would walk it in the wet. For a real laugh you should have a spin in a 190, now that is fast!
Old 09 August 2003, 10:07 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Cool

or an Elise-R
Old 09 August 2003, 11:01 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I was looking at Elise's a while back. Sport 160s really caught my eye. Fab cars and I think, one of the most likely Mk1 models destined to be a classic in the future.

Chris
Old 11 August 2003, 09:51 PM
rumpler
Scooby Regular

=================================

That said, they have a horrid gearchange and sound like a hot air hand dryer unless you spend a lot of money on the quick change box and sports exhaust.

=================================

Get a 111s. Nicer day to day than a Sport 160. Comes with the close ratio box. Stick on a cat replacement pipe and exhaust (maybe £300)... lovely.