Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Astra restoration part 2 completed!

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2003, 10:34 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Oi Oi! Its taken forever and a day, but part two of the restoration (mechanical and engine) has been completed.
After being informed time and again the engine was blowing smoke on acceleration (new piston rings please bob), I went and hooked it up to an emmissions computer which told a different story (New valvestem seals please bob) The garage where the work was being done dutifully whipped of the head and gave me the good news (New piston rings AND valve stem seals please bob. Oh and a rebore while your there too.)
After picking myself up off the floor after being informed that it would cost 1150squid to do the work on the new engine, I went and found a replacement. everyone wanted 250 quid + delivery but Dixons vauxhall spares in leeds wanted 176 including VAT and delivery. The engine was crated up and sent to the Garage and the new engine was slotted in. A few mishaps involving startup problems and sorting a new MOT and I picked her up this morning. Not really much different from the old engine really, I did notice better oil pressure, quicker rise to operating temparature and general perkyness when hoofing it. However the best bit was the lack of the red arrows impression when I did nail it!
Big thanks to Chris and all the boys at Great Hollands MOT for all his hard work on the car over the past weeks.
Next is the external restoration and respray. I have found a new drivers side wing on the net this morning delivered for a very nice 26squid, now all I have to find is either a modified or standard GTE front bumper for sensible money (right after I find some hens teeth and skyhooks) and she will go in for the respray, back to factory red instead of the faded and flat orange. Wicked.
She will be great again. Oh yes, she WILL be great again.
astraboy.
P.S. In all seriousness, if anyone has a GTE front bumper they dont want then please get in touch. astraboy_uk@yahoo.co.uk cheers.
Old 31 July 2003, 11:35 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fooking nice one mate it flew down the M40 and did oxford to the m25 in 20 mins on the old engine and saw silly speed. That is one fast astraboy express. What was the problem?

Paul <chuffed for ya >
Old 31 July 2003, 11:57 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

<It saw silly speeds>
I bet it did mate! Maniac. Nice to here the old one went out in a blaze of glory though
As for the non start, apparently it was a wiring problem. they traced it back and sorted out two stripped wires and she fired up.
Sounds really nice too. Might bung a can of 10kboost in there to be on the safe side though.
part 3 coming soon!
astraboy.
P.S. Still coming up to TOTB in the hairdryer mate?
Old 01 August 2003, 08:58 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

YAY
Old 01 August 2003, 02:59 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

same as the previous one. 2L 8v.
astraboy.
Old 01 August 2003, 05:53 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I got my car back don't get the wrong idea nate I didn't let your car go out in a blaze of glory it was just a flyer without me trying imagine if the bottle had been full or switched on

Paul

p.s where do you get 10k boost from mate? I want some for Cats golf
Old 01 August 2003, 08:01 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

bought mine from halfords mate. Really perked her up and cured a misfire as well
astraboy.
Old 02 August 2003, 09:57 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Cool

Old 04 August 2003, 09:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love Vauxhalls, engines are on the list of consumables !