Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

306 gti-6?

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2003, 02:44 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Noticed that these are going ridiculously cheap 2nd hand at the mo.

I've never driven one, but i've heard some good reviews on them. Have anyone on here had any experiences with one? What are your views?

Cheers,

Steve
Old 05 July 2003, 04:23 PM
Mega
Scooby Regular

After a long run of Fast Fords i brought one. I only got because there was no more Fast Fords! Ford had gone totally *** and so i was forced to buy PUG.

The seating polsition was far too high, the steeering wheel too large and the rim too narrow. The car had lift off oversteer and i DON'T LIKE THAT. I like my cars to be safe on the limt, if you find a sheep in the road while coming round a bend you can lift or brake.

I had to do that a number of times in the RS 1800 and with my present car a Honda CTR. Both are totally trustworthy on the limt.

The 306 was a dead trap!, the only car i driven on a public road where i had to left foot brake to get out of trouble. Totally u-trustworthy! Perhaps others like this on the edge handling, every Pug i have come against has spent too much time going side ways rather than foreward.

The car has a problem with its brakes, they have a rather un helpful habbit of locking on the rears. I had it happen twice and in only travling a short distance the rear tyre was so hot it took a hour to cool down.

Has a habit of snapping its cam belts as well, in short they suck!

There are better thing about for the money.....please take aother look!
Cheers
Mega
Old 05 July 2003, 04:42 PM
mackem boy
Scooby Newbie

Smile

I had one for a year and thought it was a cracking car !!
They do have lift off oversteer but it never greatly concerned me.
The only problem i had was that it ate front tyres.They can feel a bit flimsy but after 5 205 and 2 309 gti's it wasn't that bad !!
Old 05 July 2003, 04:56 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

...thats a bit harsh. What age was your Gti-6?...the earlier cars had terrible lift off oversteer but Peugeot sorted the problem out on the later cars, far better.

The brakes (2pots) are excellent for a 1200kg car, and i've had no problems with mine. The snapping cambelts are true, i've heard of many examples where they brake, some as less as 20k, so you just need to change them more often than Peugeot say.

As a perfectly balanced drivers car they (and the Rallye version)are far better than nearly anything else around at the moment, Clio Cup and CTR included, and not "that" much slower when run in and looked after. I surprised a new 172 the other day, so there you go. The Clio Williams is the only hatch on a similar level for feed back. CCC mag also lapped a circuit quicker in their 306 rallye than in their CTR so that goes to show how good the handling is compared to modern cars.

As long as you don't mind typical Peugeot build quality then they are certainly worth looking at.
Old 05 July 2003, 06:55 PM
mackem boy
Scooby Newbie

Mine was a P reg (the old shape) so maybe the one i owned didn't handle as well as the newer version.
But,like i said a cracking car !
Old 05 July 2003, 07:22 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

I've just sold a 306 Rallye (still got it for a few days) and it has been a superb car.
Old 05 July 2003, 10:09 PM
EvoDraven
Scooby Regular

I had one of these before my STi 8 and I thought it was a cracking car. The only downside was the cambelt snapping (and bending all the valves) 12000 miles before it should of been replaced but after much foot stamping Peugeot agreed to pay 40% of the cost of a new engine.

Handling and braking was fantastic although by the time I got rid of it I thought it lacked power (thats just being used to it I guess, now I think the STi 8 is slow!).