Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWD Vs. FWD which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2002, 11:24 PM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the experienced driver and for the non exprienced.
and can somebody post the Autocar test from 1998 (I think) where they compared AWD (Impreza GT SW), RWD (M3, Elise and 911) and FWD(306 GTI-6). I know Subaru NZ used to have it on their site but I can't find it.
Old 18 January 2002, 11:59 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

front wheel drive is better, in fact prodrive are to test FWD on the scooby for next years WRC and if it proves a success then expect to see it on road going cars by late 2003.

Tiggs

ps- they are also going to ditch the turbo in favour of a rotary engine last seen in Rx7's but dont tell anyone cause its all very hush hush.
Old 19 January 2002, 09:20 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Tiggs

elondan - define better??

In wet/slippy condition AWD gives better traction, but in emergency avoidence still gives understeer, which itself can be good and bad.
For dry performance RWD is best - see F1 cars
For transmission losses AWD is worse
Ditto tyre wear
For general driving safety AWD is safer, but RWD will be more fun
For power slides RWD is best
Old 19 January 2002, 09:42 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Tiggs,
I drive an AWD car myself and know exactly the advantages,
I need the Autocar test to publish in an Israeli car forum since I have an argument going on there and I want some further proof to my statement that AWD is better.
I also wanted to ask if you guys think AWD has more/less/the same understeer as FWD.
Old 19 January 2002, 09:46 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Gary,
No RWD only FWD Vs. AWD.
The Autocar was also with RWD but the argument I'm having is only Vs. FWD.
and if you know of any other tests (better if they are on the web) that supports this argument.
Thank you.
Old 20 January 2002, 08:49 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I've not got a copy of the article, but common sense does prevail! Whatever you look at, FWD is the distant third. The only real advantages it has (and the main reasons most cars are FWD) are cost, manufacturing/design simplicity and more predicatable handling traits.

I am no scientist so this is a lay-persons description not and expert....A FWD will understeer more than a AWD as all power, and hence latitudinal (sp?) 'force', are going through the front wheels. Think how a powerful, poorly set up, FWD car can 'torque steer' in a straight line? Then think of what happens when the front wheels are at an angle, add to that the inertia of the car and it is easy to see why a FWD will understeer. That being said, most 'normal' cars are set up to understeer as it is far easier and saferfor joe public to correct and live with understeer than it is with oversteer!

As well as the oversteer issue, the biggest advantage AWD has over FWD is traction. Take two very well set up 200 bhp cars, say an Alfa 156 V6 and a Standard impreza Turbo (I have owned both so speak with experiance). Both are about the best in their class, especially the Alfa which has to be the best handling FWD saloon in the world, and only really beaten by the Integra Type-R (and possibly the new MINI - which I also know well as Mrs C has one ) in FWD cars period. Take both cars to 5000rpm and dump the clutch. What will happen? The Impreza will leap off like a scolded rabbit, the 156 will spin its tyres for a second before shooting off after the Impreza. Even with gentle 'set-offs' the Alfa will struggle for grip in less than perfect grip situations. Replace the 156 with a T5 or Mondeo V6 and you will sit there and spin wheels all day.

Granted, a FWD car will have less transmission losses - despite having 20hp less, my Alfa could keep up with a std MY98/99 once on the go, but as soon as the road became twisty, I started struggling with grip.

I could go on all day, but anyone who considers an AWD car inferior to a FWD car isn't really worth arguing with Now RWD - thats the Daddy
Old 20 January 2002, 10:14 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Totally agree with GaryC on this - RWD is most fun and the best in the dry, however for this country I prefer AWD, but I drive down a muddy twisty country road every day...

AWD systems which are RWD until they loose grip are also quite a good balance - Eg Skyline GTR, 911 C4 etc.

I find FWD frustrating now. Some FWD cars are very well balanced, eg 306GTI6, but of the ones I have driven only the Integra Type R really impressed.

Jon