Cooper or Cooper S?

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2003, 03:09 PM
zedder123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hiya People,

This is my first post on these forums, but i have been a regular visitor for a good few months. I need some advice. I am going to replace my MG ZR105 with either a mini cooper or cooper s. What i want to know is, are there any pitfalls to look out for when buying this car? Have all the safety recalls etc been carried out and are the cars reliable?

Personally, i loved the Cooper S. The normal Cooper feels just as fast as the weedy MG at present. Has anyone had any experience of driving both back to back?

One final question (sorry for being so inquisitve ;-) but are there any other blatant hot-hatch manufacturers i should be looking at other than the MINIs?

Thanks in advance,

Henry
Old 11 May 2003, 03:52 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Clio 172 and Civic Type R, are both worth a look.
Old 11 May 2003, 04:03 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arguably the Mini bargain is to get the Mini One and tune it to 130 BHP for a £500 chip which includes a warranty. Superchips do this, and apparently the Mini Cooper has the same engine setup as the One except the throttle opens more. Might be worth looking into, although I can't confirm whether this is b******* or not.
Old 11 May 2003, 04:22 PM
M3 Evo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Go for the S if you can afford it - its several steps up the performance ladder from the normal cooper. Had one for nearly 4 months now its a fantastic little car and if we could keep it (its the wifeys) we would but theres some rugrats on the way!
Old 11 May 2003, 05:12 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I heard the same thing on a TV program about the mini one chip upgrade
Old 11 May 2003, 05:49 PM
AnDy_PaNdY
Scooby Regular

Go here, for more info than you can shake a stick at

http://www.mini2.com/forum/

Old 11 May 2003, 09:10 PM
zedder123
Scooby Regular

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses. I have been spending some time over at the mini forums, but most members seem to be from the US? (which doesn't help much when asking for price comparisons, competition etc)

I quite fancy a look at the Clio 172 as it has alot of standard kit and sharp performance going for it. My only reservation would be the lack of 'individuality' as they look remarkably similar to other clios. Also, having been stung by horrendous build quality, customer service and mechanical problems with my MG, i want something bulletproof, hence the confidence behind the idea of buying as 'BMW.'

Depreciation is also a concern of mine, because i have lost 3 grand on my MG in 4 months due to the stupid MGR offer scheme and recollection of VAT on Px'es. Does anyone reckon that the MINI's high second hand values will hold for as long as there is limited supply, or is the market for the mini going to take a downturn soon like it did for the VW Beetle?

Thanks,

Henry
Old 12 May 2003, 08:15 AM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

I've been following the MCS market for a while and gut feel is that the market's going to soften. There are plenty of overpriced cars in Autotrader and slots being cancelled.... and IMHO we are in a recession. I'm waiting for a few more months before taking the plunge. Then again, a z4 is £495/month on a business lease....
Old 12 May 2003, 06:44 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

I got offered a Cooper S for June build on Friday, so waiting lists must be well down or maybe cancellations.

Didn't have time for test drive this weekend (for the Mrs benefit) but drove one when they first came out and obviously enough it's the same but more, looking forward to another shot as the first one I drove had only done 150 miles and wasn't at it's best. But imho the Cooper just needs another 20 or 30 honest bhp via a 2.0 engine and not the supercharger. Pity the standard Cooper 'box can only take 160bhp (apparently) otherwise I'd tweak it a bit.
Dealer offered £10,750 for her existing 51 Reg Cooper, one of the first built. So about £2.5k depreciation if I take their first price, which is a **** price for a Mini and amazing for any other 18 month old car. Should do 12k privately and looking at 17k for an S. Decision time this week or I'll miss the June build.

Old 13 May 2003, 12:11 AM
solwood
Scooby Regular

Hi we own a cooper and have decided not to upgrade to the S. the cost to change is too high (price difference and depreciation on our car).

If it were our first MINI we would both have gone for the S - to spec a cooper up to S levels would cost the best part of £13K so the super charger/6 speed costs £1500. If you are buying second hand you need to be careful on the spec (true of both models).

The cooper is fun (not as good as the Scooby) and is only group 8. Its not a sports car - it is a fun good looking very warm hatch (its not a hot hatch). Both MINIs have the advantage of TLC - 5 years or 50,000 miles free servicing for £100.

The S is really thirsty and that puts us off - if we are going to get 18-17mpg we would rather be back in a Scooby and now imports are £16.5K its awfully similar (read cheaper) than a decent spec Cooper S.

We will be keeping our car for a few years as it cheap to run - but once finances pick up a WRX is on the list not a Cooper S!

Good luck with your choice!!!!
Old 13 May 2003, 01:12 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Blimey...

I wasnt aware it was thirsty... and here's me looking for something sporty that doesnt drink like the WRX!!!! Is it really that bad?

Solwood - you mention spec being important. Can you explain what you mean - is there stuff i should/shouldnt buy? Please detail!!!

Jza
Old 13 May 2003, 02:47 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

It's the awful thirst that would put me off. That and the horrible whining noise from the supercharger that makes it souns like you are in reverse.

I'd go the Cooper, or more likely a Civic Type R until the day the Mini gets a half decent engine.

MArk
Old 13 May 2003, 03:21 PM
zedder123
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hiya,

Thanks for all of your responses. I am very interested to learn that the 'S' has a drink problem. Do you think that is why people are jacking them in so early on, like 5000miles, because the running costs are so high for not alot or staight line speed? I ahve to admit, i thoroughly disliked the 'Flymo Hover' sound emanating from the engine bay, and i also experienced the 'kangarooing' effect in first gear under heavy acceleration, which is supposedly quite common.

And another thing, their build quality. Even the demo car i was in buzzed like a bee from the seatbelt housing, passanger doorcard and driver's footwell...all on a 2000 miles demonstrator.

I will now be looking at the Cupra R, because it seems really good value, is large and goes like stink apparently (rememeber, my experience is comparative to a MG ZR120). I don't really fancy the CTR. Too raw, poor spec and looks naff IMHO (like a bread bin on wheels, no offence intended

Unless someone says something for the mini's reputation, i am heading over to VAG

Henry
Old 13 May 2003, 06:32 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Just to say a mate works for BMW and in his opinion the mini could have a better build quality.There have been a few trim/interior complaints.
Old 13 May 2003, 10:14 PM
zedder123
Scooby Regular

cheers fot that inside info mate. Anyone else have anything to offer to the subject please?

Also, what do you think is the best colour for a MCS? I have been offered a chilli red one with selective options (CD, AC etc), 650miles on the clock for 15,500 quid from a main dealer...does that sound reasonable, and is chilli red a good colour?

Thx,

Henry
Old 14 May 2003, 09:18 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Some fool () very kindly lent me their Cooper to drive round the Ring! So what did I think? It was such a laugh, the handling was nice and balanced, the brakes weren't bad although they were starting to fade at one point, the steering was quite nice but there was a serious lack of power (may sound a bit rich coming from a Skoda driver ).

I thoroughly enjoyed it but I wouldn't buy one. Yes I like the interior but if you are on the larger size of big, you will find there is no room in the rear. You'll also notice that the boot is pathetic. Fuel economy would worry me as well and to my mind the car is over styled, but I did have a hoot driving it.

Can't comment on the S.
Old 16 May 2003, 01:13 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Very rich

Jza