Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Cooper S test drive

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2002, 06:12 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had about 40 mins in one of these with all the toys, about 23k with everything fitted

The missus has a Cooper, and in comparison to that, the steering is better, much more weight to it and the suspension is better damped. The ride isn't nearly as choppy as the Cooper is on sports suspension, which was surprising.
Power wise it's not that much different, pulls well from 3,500 to 5,000 but no better than the standard one either side of that. The poor thing had only done 140 miles though.
Not that quick in a straight line, a Civic R would eat it, but the handling is better than ever.
Went round a large roundabout 4 times with the DSC switched off and the balance was even better than the Cooper with a lovely bit of lift off oversteer
I don't think we'll be changing cos its not that different to the Cooper and it's not "really" fast. But if I didn't have one already I'd have the S. Maybe another test when it's run in a bit might change my mind.
Anyone else had a shot?

FJ
Old 10 June 2002, 06:42 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Looked at one yesterday (not for me) and although it had back seats, I could not see the point of them. Tiny boot.

This years fashion accesory.

23K Did it have a gold steering wheel?
Old 10 June 2002, 06:48 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Ah so you didn't drive one then. Certainly not a fashion item when it comes to corners.

It had every option, Satnav at about 2.5k full leather 1k , twin sunroofs, 17''s, DCS, Climate control, xenon's etc. etc.. It soon adds up. Basic 14.5k list price is still a bargain though.
Old 10 June 2002, 09:23 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

I know I might be slightly bias towards the Clio but the 172 comes with xenon’s, leather, climate control, 6 CD changer, trip computer, side impact air bags, optimum power gear change indicator, auto lights and auto windscreen wipers, which quite amazingly work very well. Satnav is an option and soon traction control and ESP (electronic stability program) will be standard kit obviously those last two can be disabled if the driver wishes so. It handles just as well and last but not least it’s FASTER!!!!! And all for 12k from Motorhouse 2000. Plus I would rather buy French than German.

Tim.

p.s idiotic German’s have wrecked what the mini was all about.
Old 10 June 2002, 09:35 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Talking

I would agree that the Mini is a fashion accessory - you would also need to be quite wealthy as there is no way it is practical enough to be your main car. They may have well done away with the boot! And as davyboy says, the back seats were making me ask "why?"

The Renault Clio is ugly at the front and the interior looks just like my 1999 Clio Grande with a few more "racing" ***** etc... The seating position is too high and even though it is fast, I reckon it looks UGLY! And last but not least, did I say it is UGLY!?

Now to the car on my current wish list - Civic Type R. Surely nearly 200BHP in a small car is going to be fun! It looks nicer than the other 2, is a Honda which means it is going to hold it's value and you can rev the knackers off it and it will keep on going.

I know what I would buy if I had nearly £25K - a STI 7 or an EVO.
Old 10 June 2002, 09:55 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ohh yeah and the clivc is an out and out sports car because it sure looks like one (MPV). And also has interior styling of a Ferrari it must of took years of work to come up with such a raw sporty look (couple of bucket seats thrown in). Oh and just one other thing I was just gob smacked at the truly outstanding handling of this machine (BOAT) and think it should be confined to the racetrack it’s just to wild for the road.
Old 10 June 2002, 10:45 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Wink

We're all entitled to our opinions!

I think that the Clio is ugly. The old shape 172 was OK, but I just don't like the new shape. They changed it to attract more men into Clio ownership and it looks like they succeeded! I had an old shape Clio - OK it wasn't a fast car, but I liked it!

Don't want to get into a slanging match - I would much rather have a Scoob any day of the week. You just have to go with the best for your budget!
Old 10 June 2002, 10:50 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Talking

Each to his/her own.
Old 10 June 2002, 10:54 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Wink

Exactly. That's why so many people have different cars and opinions about them.

I would buy an old shape, not a new shape. There you go.

Truce?
Old 10 June 2002, 10:57 PM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

I like the idea of a Cooper S, and if you're sensible with the options it's a bargain. But I got a Civic because a Mini simply hasn't enough space. It'd have to be a second car, and it's not really going to beat my wife's Elise in that respect. A case of a great car which, through circumstance, I'm going to have to miss out on.
Old 10 June 2002, 11:21 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Wink

Truce!
Old 11 June 2002, 10:03 AM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Wink

father_jack :
You must be the only person to have driven them both and thought there isn't much performance difference, even on paper there is a dramatic difference. Maybe it wasn't run in, like you say very little milage on it.

Anyway you should be able to get rid of yours easily, sa aparently the market demand for these cough cough 'hot hatches' is great at the moment. No reason to lose much money.

CTR = MPV with 3drs!
Old 11 June 2002, 10:09 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Does anyone who has actually driven a Mini, let alone a Cooper S think is a fashion accessory. No? Didn't think so.
What is all this obsession with practicality, rating a car on its supermarket run ability rather than what it's like in the twisties.
A very disappointing attitude from Scoobynetters.
The back seats do fold down y'know
You can't get a full grown sow in the back of a Boxter so I suppose they don't handle either.........

I managed perfectly well with a tank-bag and a rucksack on me ZXR-600 for years.

Old 11 June 2002, 10:55 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

You can't get a full grown sow in the back of a Boxter so I suppose they don't handle either.........
Now you're being silly!

Old 11 June 2002, 11:41 AM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

" Read the excellent article in Evo this months and you'll see that they rated the Cooper S above an Evo, an STI, Clio 172, Civic TypeR etc etc. There is certainly more to this car than just looks. "

Yes there is - BMW money influence. What was it rate better for.

1. point to point time.
2. power per pound (fun factor)
3. looks.
4. longest waiting list.
5. best styling (don't make me laugh - far to bitty)
6. you see where i'm going with this, can you comment further please as the people in my work can't get their heads round this theory yet.
Old 11 June 2002, 12:46 PM
monsta
Scooby Newbie

As an existing MINI Cooper owner, I managed to arrange a 2 hour test drive yesterday afternoon in the new Cooper S.

To cut a long story short, I want one! It's much better than the Cooper, power delivery is much smoother and if you get it about 4,500rpm the little thing flys! Had to remember to change gears, 6 speeds were most definitely useful (80mph @ 3000rpm)

The one I had was in Dark Silver with a black roof with loads of options including heated seats, climate control, full sunroof, Sat Nav (V. Cool), DSC, blah blah.....

It probably won't blow you away if you drive a Scooby, but wait until September for the Cooper S Works when the MINI will be kicking some Civic Type R *** no problem!

www.mini2.com/forum

Old 11 June 2002, 06:07 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

FreeT - there's not a dramatic difference in performance on paper - from the Mini brochure:

Standing 1km - Cooper 30.8 Cooper S - 28.4

Old 11 June 2002, 06:46 PM
saxovts2000
Scooby Regular

having a test drive of the cooper S on Saturday 29th so I'll post my view of it then.

On paper though it does look alot fast than a VTS?
Old 11 June 2002, 10:23 PM
Me*shell
Scooby Regular

Question

aren`t they supposed to be bringing a super charged one out????

mini that is
Old 11 June 2002, 10:44 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

errr......hello?
Old 12 June 2002, 08:13 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'll be interested to hear your comments sax2000 You may all recall a post in general a week or so back where one of the scooby boys was complaining that he couldn't loose a mini cooper through the twisties and wanted to know if he was a crap driver. I'm now pretty sure I know the answer....yes

Why: I was recently treated to a twisty, uneven, slightly muddy and poor condition road in a scooby and was driven down it by someone that has figured out how to actually use the 4WD. I thought we were going to die on the first corner but she just held on and the second corner was even sillier Better yet he told me he was taking it easy I know my VTS very well but I couldn't have kept up in a million years if I was behind him. Round a nice smoothly surfaced track the Saxo and the Coopers may keep up (possible) beat a scooby but in the real world and on proper twisties they shouldn't have a hope!

That's my thoughts for the day
Old 12 June 2002, 09:20 AM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

father_jack : It has almost 50% more power, r u saying that there is no point in having it? and 2 seconds off the 0-60 time which suggests than any in gear acceleration would be far better.
Old 12 June 2002, 10:31 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

FreeT.
It's odd that there's 1.8 secs difference in 0-60, but still only 2.4 secs difference over the standing 1 km. Weird eh?
In gear times are a lot better tho.

Strangely enough I've nearly talked meself (or Mrs.Jack more to the point) into getting one after all. The dealer are offering 13k for the Cooper so only another 1,500 quid for a supercharged car with a 5 year warranty
You couldn't buy the parts for that.........
Old 12 June 2002, 05:29 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hey Saxo boy...

Sounds like whoever was driving you round those twisties was a bit of a god.....!!!!

Bet he was handsome as f**k and hard a nails as well.

Cheers m8
Old 12 June 2002, 05:47 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

With regards to the Clio 172, yes it is well specc'ed, yes it is not pretty, but its a bargain for the price.

I have driven a CTR hard and there really isnt a great deal of difference, you have to be a good driver on very good roads. It is quicker though.

The Clio was supposed to have ESP/traction last October, then February but now its gone strangely quiet from Renault. Better without it I reckon.

I still wouldnt mind a drive in a Mini though. And you can take all the tests in magazines wit a pinch of salt, they all regularly have the same sort of tests with these cars and it depends on the wind as to who wins it !

Oh, yes i have a 1 yr old Clio 172. A fugly one.

Dave
Old 12 June 2002, 07:30 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Now you mention it sipie he was

But that same sucker was also getting 16mpg for his efforts I know jumbo jets that can do better than that
Old 13 June 2002, 09:13 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Now Saxo Boy that is a complete exageration.....!

Average fuel consumption over 9,000 miles is 16.7mpg on SUL, and that extra .7mpg makes all the difference you know!!!!

I've heard claims of 25-30mpg but surely it's only a matter of time before these owners find out what the pedal on the right hand side actually does....!
Old 13 June 2002, 10:57 AM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I drive a Cooper as my main car. The lack of boot space does not worry me as the back seats fold down and then you have a huge boot.

[Vacation]"You think you hate it now, wait till you drive it..."[/Vacation]
Old 13 June 2002, 12:02 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originall posted by Me*shell - "aren`t they supposed to be bringing a super charged one out????

mini that is"

are you blonde ?? with the main title being "cooper S", I wonder what the S stands for

shunty

[Edited by shunty - 6/13/2002 12:03:21 PM]
Old 13 June 2002, 04:43 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

My Cooper S arrives tomorrow . Lets see if EVO was right to put it above the STI. Father Jack, if you look at the 0-100 times theres about 8-9secs in it between the S and the std Cooper. About the same as between the S and my STI . Std Qtr and 1/4 miles always look closeish.

Jonathan

Quick Reply: Cooper S test drive