Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Green Crystals in Diesel fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2003, 11:35 PM
Mantamac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mate's V reg Land Rover Discovery TD5 has had a spate of fuel problem's of late. First a fuel pump , then poor running and now it has cut out and won't re-start. The dealer say's the fuel sytem is contaminated and described this as green crystals????? found in the fuel filter. Does anyone have an idea what this could be ? I've never come across it before.
Cheer's.

Mac.
Old 25 April 2003, 12:40 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I have heard of diesel bugs turning fuel into a jelly like substance. Basically if fuel is contaminated and left standing for periods of time small microbes feed on the diesel. Dunno if thats whats causing this though. It usually affects things such as boats that tend to have tanks of fuel standing for long periods of time.
Old 25 April 2003, 10:00 AM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

You can get additives containing enzymes which eat the diesel bugs & slime that accumulates in the tank. Only thing is that it's like putting alkaseltzer in the tank, it stirs up all the crap off the bottom, so you need to change the fuel filter soon after.
Look up soltron, that's the one my local marine engineering company use.
Old 25 April 2003, 12:17 PM
chrisyd
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Most uk spec fuels dont sit long enough for bugs to grow and eat diesel, bugs are normally a problem in fuel that is stored for years, such as military tanks, i witnesed bugs once from diesel purchased for a shipping company from a russian surpluss fuel dump which had been stored for many years, the bugs turn the fuel to sludge like residue, green crystals were certainly not visable. could it be a brakedown of fuel tank coating or very poor waxy fuel which can be found in certain heavy plant diesel engine fuels, best bet is to always stick to buying the recomended fuel from a big name petrol comapny.

hope this is helpful and the repair costs aint to high.
Old 25 April 2003, 03:29 PM
Mantamac
Scooby Regular

Thank's for the advice.
He has only own'd the car for 3 week's and it's spent 11 day's of that in the dealer's....!!! We think it's been run on poor fuel by the previous owner. As such I think he should give them the car back as if it's been run on poor fuel it may have an effect on the longevity of the motor.

Cheer's.

Mac.
Old 25 April 2003, 04:05 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

May have been run on farm (red ??) diesel by previous owner. Idiot over road from mo-in-law (2 be) puts it in his 405 diesel.

Dave
Old 26 April 2003, 12:34 AM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Nowt wrong with that
Old 26 April 2003, 02:34 AM
Mantamac
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just to update this thread.
Dealer has now fixed the car. Full fuel system flush, Filter's, Tank flush and new pump. My mate stressed the part about "cheap" fuel used by thr previous owner and the long term wear implication's . The Dealer has agreed to extend the warranty for 12 month's giving him a total of 15 month's warranty.
Thank's for all the replies.

Mac.

[Edited by Mantamac - 4/26/2003 2:35:16 AM]