Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Pulsar GTI-R

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2003, 06:22 PM
Student Phil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone owned one of these? Always found them very appealing, but have heard nightmare stories about running costs and repair costs (particularly the clutch). Is there any truth in this and if so, are they just more trouble than they're worth?
Old 14 April 2003, 06:33 PM
sterns
Scooby Regular

ive got one, and its for sale.

New gearbox and AP organic clutch

Very good and very Fast

Brilliant cars.
They got to be looked after like any cars.
The gearboxes only go after old age, as did mine, but like scoobys, they do break as they got alot of power.

any more info give us a shout m8

tony
Old 14 April 2003, 06:42 PM
Student Phil
Scooby Regular

What about the turbos? A friend of mine had one and the turbo went, cost him a fair amount to get it sorted.

Tony - Whats the spec on yours?
Old 14 April 2003, 07:19 PM
andrew420
Scooby Regular

i have had mine for 1 and a half years now standard turbo clutch etc.

I have had no problems at all (reaches for wood) made 280 bhp with a fliter zorst and a bar of boost and has been set up like that for the entire time i have had it. They regularly do 12 second 1/4 at the pod with this sort of setup.
Old 14 April 2003, 07:21 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I recently sold my Pulsar and the main reason I did so was how much money I was blowing on fuel and sorting "niggles" every month. Despite that I still think it was the best car I have ever owned which I think says a lot! It was modded to approx 280-290 bhp which obviously didn't help reliability so the closer you keep to standard the less problems you should have. You'll often hear people refer to it as a poor mans car which always made me laugh, if your poor you'd never be able to run one!...even if it makes you poor in the end.
I didn't ever really hear of any specific problems relating to the turbo either but don't get me started on the gearbox...
check out www.gtiroc.com for more info...they're a good bunch.

[Edited by jamin - 4/14/2003 7:22:02 PM]

[Edited by jamin - 4/14/2003 7:22:26 PM]
Old 14 April 2003, 08:46 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

The parts I've had to replace are ones you'd expect to on an 12 year old car-suspension(good excuse to upgrade),brakes(ditto),gearbox and clutch(1/4 miles have had a negative impact on this though),engine mounts.Anything else I've replaced has been through choice.
Mine is still on it's original turbo,has been very reliable and never failed to start.
Old 17 April 2003, 11:42 PM
P1555ED
Scooby Regular

Talking

Owned one for over a year, changed brakes twice, clutch, gearbox rebuilt, electric windows stopped working, cost a fortune to run!
Back suspension went,strangely enough absolutely loved it!! I Own P1 now and I'd still have another GTIR. Get one, loads of fun!!!!