Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

youngster buys GTI-R

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2002, 08:13 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

My friends younger brother has bought a pulsar gti-r at the age of just 20, thing is he's owned 5-6 cars and crashed them all (some more times than once) Whats the chances this one gettin bent?

the insurance is nearly 2000 tp and..... he got pulled over the fist nite he bought it and didnt have any insurance!!! he's already got 3 points and he might loose his license now.!

whatever next? shame though!
Old 11 September 2002, 09:14 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I predict his car being wrapped around a lamp post before too long.

Let's just hope he doesn't hurt anyone.
Old 11 September 2002, 09:26 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

Great-another one banging up the claim/policy ratio and pushing up my premium.
Old 11 September 2002, 09:45 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Some people never learn

Lets just hope he does not hurt anyone else

Darren
Old 12 September 2002, 02:54 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Wink

of course they wont learn, have you talked to most of them, they iq makes my gone off bottle of milk look positively inelegant.

Im not much older than 20, and have owned and sold a scooby, and moved onto a westfield partly for fun, and partly coz i was getting annoyed with boy racers revving at the lights beside me, them same boy racers you dot see at traks

Proud never to have been a boy racer then again most people are sheep
Old 12 September 2002, 06:25 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

IMHO

I think that if i could have afford one at the age of 20 then i would have got one!

Usually high insurance cost keeps younger/less experienced drivers out of high performance cars but this lad seems to have more money that sense!

Problem is at 20 is that you really do think you know it all, he may have a hard lesson to learn, if he survives!
Old 12 September 2002, 06:54 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

buyin the car wasnt that much considering the average 18 year old drives a new saxo or fiesta etc (7k)....

The thing is he dont now nothing about the car, only how fast they are, nothing on running cost, common faults and parts etc... he will get a shock trust me, hes a good bloke but once that car starts eating tyres, drinkin fuel & blowing turbos etc.. i bet he'll get rid of it!

I could never buy a car without knowin lots about it. I wish him all the best, when i was 20 i had a Red Nova Gsi, that was really fun!!
Old 12 September 2002, 08:47 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

I'm 22 and jumped straight in to 'R' ownership...If he doesn't crash it he'll flog it quick when he finds out the running costs.....I've had mine 6 months and mods/maintenance has cost me £4K thats excluding insurance....Oh and the biggest one petrol...I'm still reeling at the costs and 'used' to consider myself quite well off!
Old 12 September 2002, 08:49 PM
saxovts2000
Scooby Regular

not wanting to upset anyone but I think that "youngsters" shouldn't be able to have such cars. (shooting himself in the foot for only being 24 himself)

I really cringe at the thought of a new driver having his daddy or mommy go out and buy him something that he/she has a snow flakes chance in hell of controlling. I just think you need to work your way upto such cars and atleast have some experience in driving before you have one........as for the guy who has had 5/6 and crashed them all.........well he just should be able to drive anymore. rant over and I'm now awaiting to get a roasting!!
Old 12 September 2002, 09:11 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Red face

Hey! Not all youngsters are careless and shouldn't have nice cars. Of course if they have a lack of common sense then it's a danger to other road users, but the ppl who are likely to do this are the type who race others on roads. And there's a lot of threads about that on here!!

I'm gettin an Impreza as soon as I can afford it, ie within a year (I'm 20) as I reckon I can be sensible enough with it. I've worked my way up thru different powered cars tho, and I do agree that some1 who has recently passed being given a powerful car by mommy and daddy is madness!!

Andy
Old 12 September 2002, 11:36 PM
Turboteeth
Scooby Regular

I always think if you want to drive fast, it's better doing it in a car designed to be driven like that rather than a standard saloon, that doesn't have the handling, brakes or even safety features of Scoobs, EVOs, GTi-R's etc. etc.

My Scooby has helped me out of trouble on many occasions and when I have had to drive a 'normal' car I find I am much more dangerous, taking corners too fast, braking too late and pulling out in front of people when there is no power to accelerate
Old 13 September 2002, 08:48 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I am also 20 (like most of the people in this post) and was so close to buying a Scooby (turbo) bought then sat down and thought about it. Yes I could afford it and drive it but I would much rather buy a house with the girlfriend and drive something not so 'in your face' then buy a scoob and end up killing someone.

Of the 3 cars I have owned (Renault 5, Nova and my Megane Coupe), I have had respect with all of them and consider my self a very cautious driver. I don't consider my self a good driver by any means as I have only been driving 2 years.

I had my Nova for a year and my Renault 5 for about 2 months and never went over 80MPH in either because I did not feel comfortable with the cars and I was not going to take a chance. I never speed in built-up areas, I never speed with passengers on board I have never had an accident and it makes my blood boil when I get classed as a boy racer.

Darren

[Edited by darlodge - 9/13/2002 8:49:57 AM]
Old 13 September 2002, 09:11 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You need to make the steps, I had a lot of experience of high powered oil burners when I was young (330d and A4 2.5TDI Quattro), I then got the VTS at aged 22 and now have the Impreza (progression of speed). The first time I gave the scooby some (i.e first night ) I turned and said to my mate, there is no way in hell mommy and daddy should be buying this for kids as their first car!!! Nothing wrong with having an Impreza or similar at 18 as long as you've had a bit of experience of quite quick cars before.

For example, I love acceleration but don't ride a bike. If I decided tomorrow to chop my scooby in for a bike I'd get a 125 for a few months to learn on get a feel for, then maybe a sporty 400 for another few months before moving on to big fast bikes. I could of course afford a 0-100 in 7 seconds machine right now but I'd probably die!!!
Old 13 September 2002, 01:15 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Dont get me wrong im not saying hes a carless driver but if hes crashed a 1.1 fiesta, orion, fiesta xr2 and nova gte, hes getting in a group 20 car, i hope nothing happens to him.

Ive had 3 quick cars, Nova Gsi, Astra Gsi and now corrado G60, my next car would be scooby/lancer/m3 also im 24 and been driving for 6/7 years, doesnt mean i wont crash the next car but definatley be more carefull as ive already had one bad accident in the astra when a drink driver nearly killed me and i dont want anymore.

Old 09 November 2002, 09:06 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Arrow

[Edited by polarbearit - 9/11/2002 9:07:56 PM]
Old 09 December 2002, 10:54 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Looking at the 3 cars I've had, I've gone from a 1.1 litre metro -> modded punto gt turbo (150bhp) to my 280bhp GTi-R. The reason I haven't crashed is because I actually respected what I had and used a bit of common sense. Shame others can't do the same as my insurance wouldn't be so much..
p.s I paid for the lot myself ;-)

[Edited by jamin - 9/12/2002 11:01:29 PM]